/dist/images/branding/favicon

Panasonic GH4 about to drop...

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Steve Maller, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

HI Ozkan

I have a Canon 5D mark II dedicated for stills. Thanks for the response.

2. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Check out this post over on Vimeo on post production with the A7S

I used to have a GH4, but sold it - really struggled with the shadows. If I were choosing, I think I'd go with the A7S.

Currently using an FS7 and can't believe what's in the S-Log 3 data. Beautiful.

3. Dave King

Ozkan do you know if the Canon IS will work with the Sony A7S and metabone adapter?

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It does with the GH4.

5. Dave King

Thanks Steve, good to know.

6. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

Dave it can be iffy on certain lenses. I use the version 4 and it was hit and miss with my 35f/2 and 24 f/2.8 Canon. It will hunt on occasion and it can be slow. The 35 f/2.8 Zeiss Sony is what I use for all my aerial photos and it nails focus non stop in the air. It is also 1/3rd the weight of the Canon 35 f/2. I have been using the 35 and 55 Sony FE lenses and love them.

7. Steve Maller

Ryan, I think Dave was asking about the image stabilization with the metabones, not autofocus.
    AFAIK, the metabones adapter doesn't do autofocus on the GH4.

8. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

Guess I should have been a bit more awake~

The Version 3/4 of the Metabones for the sony does do Autofocus, but it is not very well. It does IS as well.

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BM4

If you get one get the 4, I had the 3 and it caused some weird reflections due to the shiny surfaces inside.

9. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

10. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

11. Laurence Hamilton-Baillie

For those of you using the GH4, how do you remotely control aperture during flight? I currently fly the BMPCC which allows me to do this through the lanc and i now can't imagine how I would ever get usable results without this. Can remote aperture control also be done on the GH4? If not, how are you managing to expose correctly?

12. Steve Maller

The Panasonic Wifi app can do that, but I haven't used that on my copter. Call me superstitious, but turning on wifi on a camera used to be considered a no-no because of the potential for interference. But nowadays that may be an unnecessary caution. After all, my new ALTA runs wifi for its configuration and feedback in the air! So I'd do some testing on the GH4 with wifi on and off and see if it effects either the range or signal quality of both the copter's radio and the MōVI's radio. That might be your answer.

Oh, and this guy has confirmed this, at least for running the MōVI on the ground. Not sure if anybody's tested it in the air, or if what the range might be. I know in my experience with the iOS app it has been quite twitchy. It's easy to imagine that the app could crash if the wifi signal degraded.

Jason Herring likes this.
  13. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

I use the Image app to make adjustments prior to flight but found that as soon as I start up the copter, the app crashes. I assume from the stronger signal being produced by my remote and other equipment. It is worth noting that if you start recording via the app and then the app crashes, the camera continues to record as it was before the crash. When the app reconnects, the app will show that the camera is recording and allow you to regain control.