/dist/images/branding/favicon

Panasonic GH4 about to drop...

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Steve Maller, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Elliott Dunwody

Elliott Dunwody New Member

So, have we decided that the GH4 will fit with a GH3 DJI Zen unit?

2. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

I don't have the Zen but i can tell you the GH3 and GH4 has the same body, the only difference is the hdmi input is now a micro hdmi so if you can get that to work you should be fine!!

3. Elliott Dunwody

Of what I understand DJI is coming out with a fix for the Zen so the HDMI will be updated. right now you loose your 360deg capabilities because your tethered.

4. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Lanc or gent led to trigger record on the gh4? What is everyone using

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I use Infrared trigger from rcshutters.com

6. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

are you shooting video? trigger it on the ground and roll video the entire flight is the best option. no reason to complicate things and misfire.

Steve Maller likes this.
  7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

And the GH4 has a lovely built-in intervalometer...so same thing for stills.

8. Elliott Dunwody

I took my GH4 to Atlanta Hobbiy and it fits perfectly in the GH3 Zenmuse and is balanced without filter.

Now to the how to hook it up issue with the smaller HDMI input.

9. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I've started using GH4 extensively. For those who are wondering about the quality of uncompressed HDMI footage, I did a small test. Here is a sample screenshot. The texts are in Turkish but it's easy to understand:

[​IMG]

The top part is the shot from Atomos Ninja.

Atomos has a 130gr mini recorder called Ninja Star , which is perfect add-on for GH4 for Full HD recording.

I'm also waiting for the Atomos Shogun and its small version for 4K recording.

10. Steve Maller

That’s pretty impressive. I assume this was straight out of the GH4 and not the YAGH thing, right?
    From their specs, the Ninja Star will do 1080P 24fps and 30fps but not 60fps, right?
    And will it use high speed CF cards, or does it require “CFast” cards?

11. Steve Maller

12. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Steve, yes that's directly from GH4's micro HDMI output.

I think, Atomos will release the Cfast cards at the same time with Ninja Star which is not available right now either.

This Ninja Star is also a super add-on for cameras like Canon C100; which is very identical to C300 excpet the codecs. So, it matches C300 or even get better quality than the C300 with a 130gr add-on.

The thing that will blow me away would be a 4K version of the Ninja Star (Shogun Star). They will release it sooner or later but not in the summer time I think.

Steve Maller likes this.
  13. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

With the GH4, how would you record 4K video to the Shogun while streaming video for FPV? The Shogun would accept 4K 4:2:2 from the GH4 via HDMI for recording purposes in RAW, but then how would you be able to view that video remotely while flying? Solutions like the Teradek Clip only accept HD source. Hmmm...

14. Steve Maller

If the Shogun doesn't have an HDMI out, you'd need an HDMI spitter, I would guess. But that's going to be a challenge if the two devices (FPV transmitter and HDMI recorder) are running different resolutions. I think the camera would sync with one or the other, but not both. But I'm not well versed in HDMI specifics.

Edit: it appears they both have inputs and outputs for the HDMI signal. Whether the various devices out there (like the converters and HD transmitters) will work is anybody's guess.

15. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

I spoke to Atomos, the HDMI output from the Shogun if you're feeding it 4K will be 4K - there is no way to down-convert it to HD out on the HDMI port.

So, a device like the Teradek Clip will not work with the Shogun running @ 4K cause it accepts only HD input.

Running a copter with a Panasonic GH4 recording 4K poses a challenge for getting the video signal to the ground so you can aim the camera on the gimbal.

16. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Well, that's a huge problem. Also standart HDMI converters doesn't accept 4:2:2 10 bit output for now. When Shogun arrives, we will see how we can solve this problem.

17. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Can anyone give anymore feedback on the GH4? How does the GH4 picture quality compare to a Hacked 5D III? I am planning on purchasing the GH4 or the Sony A7S. Any thoughts?

18. Steve Maller

Apples vs. Oranges, IMHO. Hacked 5dm3 is a risk in a variety of ways. Talk is that new 5D bodies are arriving with a newer firmware/bootloader that is making Magic Lantern hard or impossible to load. And even with ML, it's still only a 1080P camera. GH4 gives you 1080P at up to 96fps, true 4K (UHD or real 4K) and a 200mpbs data rate. And with the Metabones adapter, you can use EF glass if you want.

19. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Steve Thanks.

I am holding out for a 5D mark IV but you never know if its going to happen. I"ll give you a call today.

20. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Dave, are you going to use it just for shooting video?

If you want to shoot stills also, A7s would be a better choice over GH4. I never liked the stills coming out of GH4.

Hacked 5D MKIII creates very very nice pictures and as long as you don't have any problems with storage (you need lots of them to shoow RAW on 5D ), I think you should keep shooting. Its better than GH4s internal picture.

For full HD shooting, you can consider BMPCC and if you shoot day time, the result is just outstanding. With Metabones speedboster, you can still use Canon glass on it.

BMPCC has always been better to match the color with other cameras, especially if the main camera is Alexa. Grading the colors of GH4 is kind of pain since it doesn't have a real log color profile until Panasonic implements Vlog color profile to the camera. In this terms, A7s is more advantageous, it has Slog3. It also needs some experience but still easier.

GH4s picture get a bit noisier if you apply lots of grading over it. That's the downside of 8-bit 4:2:0 internal codec.

Personally, I prefer to use BMPCC over GH4 on commercial jobs if they don't ask for BMCC 4K or Red Epic. Sony A7s would come next with its unbelievable low light performance and slog3 color profile.

Well, I ended up buying all these cameras :)