/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 8 Upgrade for Medium Heavy Lift (8-10kg)

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steve Maller, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

We've reached an agreement: I avoid unnecessarily chopping up their precious branches and they stop jumping in front of my copter.

2. Steve Maller

Did another couple flights yesterday, and things are much better now. Installing a notch filter on the 1.3gHz vTX seems to have solved the GPS problems. Things are still a little wobbly, but the wind was gusting 15-20mph and I didn't have any weight on her. I'm going to try again today with some weight and calmer air.

The one problem I had here was 100% operator error: at the 4:30 mark the copter got very persnickety and I had to wrestle it to the ground. After I landed I noticed the "COME HOME" indicator lit and I realized I forgot which way my 3-position switch was set up, and instead of turning off PH and going Manual, I had gone the other direction. Sigh.

3. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Looks good Steve, you have great places to do your testing. When you add the Movi with your gh4 what does that weight?

4. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Steve, are you happy with that fpv camera? What model is it?

5. Steve Maller

My AUW with the MōVI M5 and GH4 is 11kg, and 11.5kg with the 5D Mark III.

6. Steve Maller

To be honest, I have no idea. I have several of these little board cameras, and they're all pretty similar. The most recent one I bought was the Luminier 600 from GetFPV, but that's on another copter. This camera's run through unshielded, twisted servo wire to the SmartOSD, then to the vTX. I get a good deal of interference, so I think I'll re-do the wires with some shielded wire I have and see if that makes a difference.

7. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Hey Steve that's great.

IMG_1607.jpg
    Looking at the picture you attached here, it appears that the external compass is on boom 2 aiming forward toward an angle. Wouldn't it be better to have a small tube coming off boom 1's location so you can mount the compass straight? Do you think it might be an issue with it mounted off center? If I'm making the wrong assumption that it's on boom 2 I appoligize.

Dave

8. Steve Maller

Dave, it's on boom 2 at a 45°angle pointing straight ahead. It is only attached with a single nylon spacer, but I actually set it up that way on purpose so that it would break away in a crash instead of getting destroyed. It's pretty secure.

9. Steve Maller

I solved a problem I was having with strange oscillations in Position Hold: I hadn't secured the 5lb dumbbell I was using under the copter. Sigh. It was rocking back and forth a bit, causing the oscillations. I took her back up today with the dumbbell properly zip tied, and sure enough, it was stuck to the sky, even in a pretty gusty breeze.

Now if it'd stop raining for a few hours I could get some more flying in. I guess I shouldn't complain...we need it here in California!

10. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi Steve,
    Why was it you wanted to go for the longer 500 booms?

11. Steve Maller

To get the prop wash farther away from the gimbal (now a MōVI).

Bo Tornvig likes this.
  12. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Steve, how much weight AUW do you think an x8 with 4014 tmotor with 16inc prop with a 6s could lift?

13. Steve Maller

Jason,
    25-28 lbs is probably doable.
    But which 4014 motors? I'd strongly suggest KDEs. If you're going for max AUW, you'd probably want to swing 18" props on the 4014s, but what electronics are you planning to use? The MK stuff might be a bit max'd out at 25-28lbs AUW. @Dave King has some experience with that kind of weight. And others are going pretty heavy, too.

That's not my design objective, so I'm good with what I have.

14. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Thanks so much Steve,
    I'm running the tmotor 4014 330kv motors with 40amp maytech esc and two 8000mah 6s batt, the largest camera I would like to fly is a 5d mark iii , if I'm pushing it to far , I'm going to go,with the gh4

15. Steve Maller

IDK about that combo of kit. But 10-11kg AUW is all you'll need with a 5D...less with a GH4. But some of the gimbals out there are very heavy. The MōVIs are quite light, comparatively.

16. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Steve Maller,
    That machine is absolutely awesome!Thanks for your time and investment,this is the MK MR Bible!
    I´m now ready to pact with the devil in order to move up;)
    I´ve been bateling with an AD8 MK 4s stack but it s running on the limits at 6.5kg.
    I see that you have moved to Movi and that was not your first intention, so please let me ask you a question, if you had to invest to upgrade gear, would you go straight for the MOVI?does it really make the diference respect to Alexmoss?
    I just want to get some gear that you can get the job done with minimum fuss after tunning everything!I´m going a litle crazy with the Alexmoss having to retune constantly..
    Thanks!

17. Steve Maller

Hi Alex.
    Thank you for your kind words.
    When I started this project, the MōVI was still pretty new and was more expensive. But I eventually chose to go that way because I, too, found that the endless tinkering was impacting my productivity.
    Without getting into a serious debate here, I liken it to the Mac vs. Windows debate. Macs are (mostly) black box machines, with little flexibility in configuration. Windows PCs, on the other hand, give you incredible diversity in configuration and capabilities. But we all know the driver and hardware drama that many people suffer as a result.
    My decision was based on there being no clear "reference platform" for Alexmos-based gimbals. Everybody seems to roll their own, and any small variation from your friend's gimbal means all bets are off WRT configuration.
    So, at the end of the day, the MōVI has a set configuration with black-box motors and hardware, and it just works. And that appeals to me. Oh, and Freefly Tech Support is an actual thing, unlike Alexmos. Alex and his minions (who are awesome) do their best, but there's only so much they can do with the huge variation in systems out there.

Alex Smart likes this.
  18. Steve Maller

After weathering the winter in the UAV Garage, Avicularia (my new name for my heavy lift copter) is back in the air! Here's a little test flight with the GH4 on my MōVI M5 from last night.

Alex Smart likes this.
  19. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

Steve,

Are the battery mounts just standard cinestar mounts?

Moving to a outrigger battery mount on the Coax 8 I am building as you are 100% correct in the COG being an issue.

Will I need to drill anything to mount or just boom clamps and good to go?

20. Steve Maller

They are standard CS8 battery plates. You probably will need to drill out holes. I did.