/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tools of the Trade - What folks are using for builds and maintenance

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Gary Haynes, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I suspect that is something that might have shown up with a simple ohm-meter test.

Makes you wonder whether we really are not back in the early days of aviation or motoring, where we all need to know how to use oscilloscopes, voltmeters, ammeters, ohmmeters, etc. If we are indeed back there, this era shouldn't last too long (I hope).

Andy.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It never does, except when it does. But we are definitely in the age of the aviator...those with the broadest array of knowledge, experience, tools, and money usually come out on top. Except when something goes wrong...which it almost never does, right? :eek:

3. Steve Maller

Today this little beauty bailed me out!
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...n_30watt_12v_3s_XT60_plug_USA_warehouse_.html
    My #$%^& Zeiss Cinemizer goggles have the most delicate A/V cable, and I've been through 3 or 4 of them. I didn't have any more, so after I buzzed out the cable to figure out the pinouts (argh), I cannibalized the connector and another RCA cable and jerry-rigged a new one, and I was back in the air.
    29828.jpg

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nice.
    I've been meaning to use some more robust connectors for the Cinemizers -- I was pondering whether in-line BNC connectors might be viable?

Andy.

5. Steve Maller

IMO the problem is with the choice of that 1/8" connector they use as an A/V in and its unconventional configuration. I'm going to have my buddy's electronics tech (they have a guitar shop) rig me up something with some heavy-dudy connector or something. The one I made is probably going to last a day. Maybe two. :confused:

6. Steve Maller

Here's another useful gadget: a small 12V DVR. I use this little $50 gadget from HobbyKing to record my downlink. It's a no-brainer, but can be a lifesaver when it comes to diagnostics.

It can be set to automatically record when any motion is detected, which I do. I have an 8GB SD card in there, which is probably good for several hours of recording. I hacked up the adapter to power it off a spare 3S (11V) LiPo. It doesn't pull much power. I can run it for an hour or so on a 800mAh battery. It records in ASF format, which can be easily converted to .MOV or whatever.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...tal_Video_Recorder_for_FPV_US_Warehouse_.html

[​IMG]

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I use one from FPV Japan -- do you find that the video pass through degrades the video signal a bit?

Andy.

8. Steve Maller

Yes, so my 'Y' split is upstream of this box, and I just connect up to the A/V OUT to make sure it's working, either momentarily or with a backup monitor.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The only reason I use the video out from the DVR is that then I can confirm that the DVR is actually recording the FPV downlink -- it superimposes its own little record symbol and an elapsed timer.

Andy

10. Steve Maller

Great tips for working with hot glue!

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good tips.
    I have never figured out why isopropyl alcohol pops hot glue loose. Mind you, I've never tried gluing plastic flamingoes to a microwave....

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.