/dist/images/branding/favicon

REMOVABLE ARM Multirotor System for Cinestar

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Neill Whiteley, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Neill Whiteley

Neill Whiteley New Member

Moderator please delete

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

We do not allow company names for users -- so if it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

If more than one person needs from your company would like to be a forum member, each should register in their own real name.

Thanks

Andy

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Also, I have deleted your posting from Cinestar 6 -- we allow one announcement per commercial product that might be of interest to Freefly customers, but more than that and is viewed as using the forum as a billboard for non-Freefly products.

Thanks
    Andy.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Will you support coax configurations with 6 bullets? It looks like this is possible based on your internal bits.
    What kind of bullets do you use?
    Looks like an interesting system.
    If you're looking for a beta tester hit me up. :cool:

5. Pete Stevens

Pete Stevens New Member

I'm very interested in this concept for my Cinestar 8HL. My concerns in looking closely at the design are... 1: Whether or not the sleeves are long enough to prevent point-loading on the carbon tubes, the connection sleeves look somewhat short to me. 2: The bullet connectors fitted into the internal white plastic bushings are essentially what is being used as "guide pins" for the arm/motor alignment, is this durable enough? 3: The inevitable "more connections to fail" factor with the bullet connectors and how that relates to long term daily breakdown/setup reliability.

If you could address these concerns I would like to hear more. Like I said, I truly want to believe in this, and am very interested. Thanks!

6. Neill Whiteley

Yes. Didn't realize. I made the change. Now you know my true identity!

7. Neill Whiteley

Yes sir. Our setup will support coax motor setup. We have 6 total connections for the ESC wires so two motors possible per arm. As far as the bullet connector go...what we have pictured in our photos currently are standard type 3.5mm connectors you see on many ESC's. But, we have decided for our production run to go with the higher amperage "Spring" type 3.5mm connectors. These are the same ones used on the ever popular and well tested "XT" type LIPO battery connectors. Such as the XT30, XT60, XT90. This type bullet connector has a larger contact surface area than standard bullets. So there is minimal wear of the mating parts even after extended use. Plus they can move more amps! I personally have used XT type connectors for years on my multirotors and never once have I had an issue with the internal "Spring" type bullet connectors. Everytime you fly you unplug the XT type connector for the lipo from the distribution ring and charge it up. These type connectors are designed specifically to be removed and replaced over and over and over. This is why we decided to use these connectors. We want our customers to be able to remove and replace their arms for the life of the craft W/O issue.

We plan to update our marketing photos to show the new type of connectors we have decided on, and will be using for production runs. Here is a picture of the type connectors we will use for the motor connectors.

[​IMG]

8. Neill Whiteley

Thanks for the interest!

1) We have seem no issues with point loading or too much stress concentration imparted by the sleeve onto the OD of the carbon fiber tube. We have been testing these kits on our own crafts for a number of months now with great success. The are a number of ways we have accomplished this proper fit between the tube and our sleeve, and proper grip between the two. Some of it I cannot say with too much detail as I would give away our engineering secrets but lets just say that our machining tolerancing is very tight. We specific on our machine prints tolerancing on those mating ID's similar to what you see in bearing bores... Also there are things going on inside the mating parts that helps the cause as well... When the sleeve is tightened down on the tube, and the proper locating fasteners are inserted, the stresses are distributed enough to NOT crack the carbon fiber tube and hold the two together properly for heavy loading. To answer your second question about sleeve length we have had great success with the current design in that area. Again, I can't give too much away or China will have copies of our product faster than they usually do. You can place a large (larger than you will see in real world) cantilevered load on the arm and it won't budge.

2) We have two forms of locating the two members together so that when you insert the arm it is oriented in exactly the same place every time. We use a small machined aluminum feature on one side of the coupling and a mating slot on the other. This is not shown in the pics on our site yet. We had just made this change a few weeks back. Also, the second form of locating is the 3.5mm connectors themselves. They work surprisingly well at locating even W/O the aluminum locating feature.

3) Please see my response to Steve above. Basically I explain it out there.

Great questions guys! Have a great weekend.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Neill. Appreciate your cooperation on that!
    Andy.

10. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Looks very nice but maybe a bit heavy?

11. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

An octo would be 800 us