/dist/images/branding/favicon

LANC control for other cameras?

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Steve Maller, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I was under the impression that LANC was a "standard" and that a LANC controller could control any camera. At least that's been my experience. I bought a LANC controller for my old Canon XL2, and used it on at least 3-4 other cameras, and it always worked for zoom and start/stop.

I ask this because while I know the little Sony CX cam is everybody's favorite airborne camcorder, I happen to own the Canon XF100, which is a terrific camera. It is only slightly bigger and heavier than the Sony, but it's still quite a bit lighter than my 5D Mark III bodies with a decent lens.

Anyway, I'd love to be able to at least control the zoom, and I'm willing to sacrifice one of the LANC cables and/or controllers to do it. But what I don't know is the basics of how to commandeer a switch and a servo (?) on my CS8/MK/mx-20 rig. All I want is zoom in/out. Shutter and focus are unnecessary.

Your thoughts? Obviously, I'd love to share my process and the results, in case any of you are in a similar situation.

Cheers!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Can you expand a bit on the "commandeer a switch and a servo (?) on my CS8/MK/mx-20 rig" comment, Steve?

Do you mean "I want to use a switch on my MX-20 to control a servo on the CS8/MK?" Or do you want to use an RC channel, controlled by a switch on the MX-20, to control an on-off switch on the CS8?

Andy.

3. SteveWilson

SteveWilson Member

I assume the XF100 uses a 2.5mm stereo plug for the LANC input and not the newer 10-pin multi-A/V remote terminal jack? If so, you can buy this and set the digital part aside and plug the LANC side into the camera's LANC input and the other into the AUX on the tilt Radian for a two-man operation or if you prefer just plug it into one of the servo outputs on the FC if you are using a one-man operation and assign it to a 3-way switch.

http://www.quadrocopter.com/Sony-LANC-Ctrl-Camera-Remote-Control_p_624.html

Or you can save a little money and just buy the gentWIRE-LANC here:

http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentwire/lanc.htm

4. SteveWilson

SteveWilson Member

Hmmm. Maybe I assumed too much.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Not at all -- you can do both, just didn't know which one to answer! :)

Andy.

6. Steve Maller

Sorry. My intention is to be able to use a switch or dial on my mx-20 to directly control the zoom on my XF100 whilst the latter is in the air, attached to (read: dangling perilously from) my CS8's Freefly 2-axis gimbal, stabilized by Radians (none of which is assembled yet).

So to answer the other question, this is definitely a 1-man operation. I have the Iftron FPV bits, so my video downlink will confirm framing, etc.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If the XF100 has an IR control (as in you can use a remote control on it), one option would be the MK IR controller which can be "taught" the IR sequences. As Steve Wilson says, the GentWIRE control allows for LANC control.

Both of these use an RC channel as the control source so it's just a case of assigning a control on the TX to a channel, and then connecting the camera control thingy into the Receiver's socket for that channel.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

8. Steve Maller

Hmm, hacked together the 2-Axis gimbal yesterday (not functioning yet, but balanced and installed) and it looks like the XF100, while definitely the right weight, is physically too big for the gimbal. I understand there are various extension pieces available, but I think I'm going to sell it (don't use it much these days) and get the CX760 instead.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I think you'll be impressed with the CX760. I've just submitted some footage shot at 1080p60, "interpreted" (Premiere's term) to 29.97. Has a great dream like smoothness to it. Even the bit where I flew into a tree. ;) That was tree #2 if anyone but me is counting.

Get an extra Sony D-shaped connector cable (Sony AV cable, I think it's called) so you can butcher....sorry, carefully modify it to drive your video downlink with component video. You might also want to consider the MK IR trigger or the Stratosnapper then you can control record on/off, still image, and zoom.

Andy.

10. Steve Maller

Submitted where? I want to see! :)

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Submitted to Oregon Public Broadcasting. I do not own the copyright so I'd need to get permission to post it. I'll ask.

Andy.