/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M15 Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Chris Bourke, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Chris Bourke

Chris Bourke New Member

Hey guys,

I've done a decent bit of searching around on the forums and there is some very helpful material.

I've got a few questions for the forum that will likely reveal my ignorance with these systems.

1. When I turn on the M15, the pan orientation is off, it is slightly pointed right of the stand if I'm behind it.
    I read in another post that someone drew a line on the handle & on the gimbal so they could match up the correct orientation. Does the M15 really require you to align the toad in the hole every time for proper orientation upon startup?

2. Does anyone else miss the M10 ground stand? I love being able to get the new M15 stand up to a comfortable height for standing work, however, it seems odd to me that we've got a piece of equipment that makes us incredibly mobile, yet we're having to now lug around a c-stand? I'd be curious to hear other peoples' solutions / ideas.

3. Can you write configuration settings to the Movi permanently? I'd love to have the stiffness, tilt inversion, windows & such ready to go when I fire up the M15 instead of having to go into the tablet every time and change everything back.

4. When I turn the Spektrum remote to the "remote" mode, the movi starts panning slowly. This can be cured by adjusting the pan trim, but again, I'm sure there's a more permanent solution I don't know about.

I apologize in advance if this is all blatantly obvious to all of you.
    I did some searching around on the forums and wasn't able to find a lot in regards to these questions specifically.

Thank you!
    Chris

Bwe Weston likes this.
  2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I can comment on a few...

1. You would have to align it any time the toad is removed. It may seem that its rotated slightly on each boot cycle which would be normal as the Majestic window settings come into play there. I suggests to temporarily set your window setting to zero, adjust the toad as required, then return the window settings as desired. You only have to do that once. Remember what orientation the hole part of the toad in the hole is facing and always put it on that way. It will go on aligned with the handles - unless you have Pan Trim setting at something other than zero.

2. It can be useful but the overall height of the M15 fully rigged causes it to be too tall for the M10 stand if you need to balance. Its still useful for storing while not in use.

3. Yes, the function is exactly that - System menu->Write Settings

4. There are a few things that would cause movement. Pan trim on the remote could be off and if there is movement of the gimbal during the boot sequence it would accept its "zero" position as something related to that movement.

3. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

1. The Toad in the Hole is rotational by design, so you should come up with a repeatable system in your head for lining it up the same way each time. You could mark it, or you could just always keep the lever on the side closest to you, or whatever works. In the Configurator app, you can adjust the pan trim to fix this as well.

3. There is a "write settings" command that you should get the habit of running each time you make a change. If you turn the Movi off without writing the settings, they will not be remembered. The command is in the top right on the app under "System."

4. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I just got my Movi M15, can you explain further what's the original poster is speaking of? I looked at the set up cards but didn't see anything on this. Can you elaborate?

5. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Hi Chris, I am having the same exact issues with M15. The pan sits slightly off and it pans slowly with remote. The techs kinda gave me a hard time about the last one.

As far as the pan being slightly off, was told by a FF tech that the unit is not seeing any load so it sits off centered for a bit. Once you use it or touch it, it comes back to center. Which I have found is true. I have tried to see if it was the toad/H not being centered but it did not matter. I know the T/H was centered properly.

With the panning by itself, I had mine on my own rc car (not Tero) and when I first fired it up it went in one direction. Turned it off and on and it stopped. It did it again when trying to start it and had to adjust the pan trim as well. Tech gave me a long lecture about how they don't support my car, they did a ton of research with the Tero and I would have to do my own r&d to see what works right...etc etc. Had nothing to do with the rc car since it sits on toad in hole as theirs and it didnt do it all the time. So after I told him to relax, he said he had no idea.

I also find that if you make changes to any setting- stiffness, or smoothing or window that you have to write it to Movi and also save it to the tablet or whatever you use, so you can call it up right away. Otherwise if you fire it up it goes with last setting. Kinda pain in ass if you do a lot of tweaks while shooting and don't have tablet at hand.

Hope that helps. If you find out what is causing your issues would love to hear about it. Thanks.

6. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

The pan drifting is in most cases the problem of the rc-system. I found that my Spectrum DX-7 has quite a lot of drifting, pan was moving slowly in remote-mode during longer shots. I changed to a Futuba FX-30 after that, and the issues are gone, the drifting went down to app. 2 mm in 30 minutes……. One might try to change the pan deadband in the gui, this could also help a lot….

Best,

Wolf

7. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Hey Wolf, thanks for the info. What would you change the deadpan to?

8. Bwe Weston

Bwe Weston New Member

1. There is a pan trim in the menu too that I have used when I'm in a hurry.

2. Im working on that too at the moment Chris. Trying to find a foldable stand similar to the M10 stand that will support the M15 with an Epic on it. Ideally something like the M10 stand thats a bit taller and has longer arms.