/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tilt Not Staying

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Michael Bonocore, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Michael Bonocore

Michael Bonocore New Member

Hey guys,

n00b here. I got my M5 a couple days ago, had it unpacked, balanced with my GH4 + Sigma 24-70 and tuned in no time. I was practicing on it the last couple of days with no issues, but today, something seems to be terrible wrong. I swapped lenses and put on a Sigma 18-35. After balancing and tuning, I started walking, and not even 15 seconds in, the tilt went "limp" and the camera would either angle downward or upwards each time after that, depending on which time I tried. I chalked it up to the bigger lens and having to do a better job balancing, but when I got home tonight and tried with the 24-70, it only seems to get worse. Now, as soon as I start moving, the camera lens points straight to the ground. I have tried every way possible to balance it, but it just seems the tilt motor isn't working at all :(

Has anyone had issues like this? Is it a n00b mistake? I had this thing pretty down the last couple days, and really don't think I am doing anything wrong. Is there something in the GUI that I could try? Or a way to monitor the motors to make sure they are all working properly?

I leave in 30 hours for a surf film in Peru, so I am SCREWED if I can't get this figured out by then. Please, someone have some kind of solution!

Thanks guys,

Michael

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Sounds like you need to revisit the tilt vertical CG balance step. I'm guessing you're in tilt majestic mode?

Michael Bonocore likes this.
  3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Michael Bonocore likes this.
  4. Michael Bonocore

Heya Brett,

Thanks man! I think I have been getting a little to cocky since everything was working smoothly, I forgot about some basics. I have been more careful about my Tilt Vertical CG Balance. I am "getting" there. It's getting less obvious, but the tilt still isn't staying put. One thing I noticed is that the tilt motor appears to be working really hard. 50 and above. On my last two Auto Tune, immediately after it was complete, the tilt motor work value was 100, and slowly worked down to 55, where it remains. Also, the autotune makes the tilt stiffness anywhere from 3-5 which seems low. I also just put it into Majestic Angle mode. I only see that and Smooth Lock.

Thanks for your help guys!
    Michael

5. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Sweet :-D

Yeah go through the videos, that final 'head' adjustment where Tabb puts the roll motor at various angles: that's the big one (as well as getting the pan motor right for heavy/active work) because if you can do that, you know you've got a good balance.

Have fun!

6. Michael Bonocore

Hi Brett and others,

I am really at a loss here :( I even swapped out lens to a native Panosonic 7-14. Light, no adaptor. And the tilt still isn't working. I have balanced it perfectly, based on Tabb's videos. Everything "should" be working, but as soon as I move it, the camera goes limp, and angles straight down. I restore factory settings, calibration, re autotuned, even tried to manually set the tilt stiffness to 21. All to no avail, the camera refuses to stay level. I really don't know what to do. Is there anything to the fact the tilt motor goes anywhere from +100 to -55 in motors chart? See the screenshot.

Attached Files:

7. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Micheal are you using a tx with your m5 on that screenshot it says it off?

8. Michael Bonocore

Hi Jason!

What is the TX? I am a rookie with this system :( I am uploading a video to YouTube of my last AutoTune if that helps.

Thanks!

9. Jason Smoker

a controller dx8 or something similar to pan tilt etc?

10. Michael Bonocore

Hi Jason,

Nope, no controller. Just the M5 and a SmallHD monitor.

11. Michael Bonocore

Here is the YouTube video. Maybe this will tell you something? Notice at the end, the Camera isn't even pointing straight, but at an angle.

Thanks again for trying to help guys. You all are lifesavers.

12. Jason Smoker

ok you might also want to check that you have a loose connector somewhere. Check those plus this take off the cover the 4 small screws on top of the cover there is a small plug there. this is easy to come loose if you playing around.

I cant find the thread about it but there is some photos showing where it is.

are you getting all lights on the m5 solid?

13. Michael Bonocore

Hi Jason,

Are you talking about the 4 screws where the green lights are? And yes, the green lights are all solid

Thanks!

14. Jason Smoker

yep just take them off and check its seated correctly. mine come loose after i set-up mine for the first time!

15. Michael Bonocore

Will do Jason...I think I have to go buy a new Alen wrench. I don't have one that small. Let me know if you find the thread that talks about that. I am going to run out to the hardware store.

I got it a little better, but it seems like the more I raise it, the more the camera angles up? I am in Majestic Angle mode. Is that what I should be in?

16. Michael Bonocore

Also, is this small black plug on the bottom right of the photo supposed to be plugged in anywhere? I don't see a place for it.

Attached Files:

17. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Michael the 3 wire molex is for a Spektrum Receiver if you have the remote control (non MoVI Controller version).

After you do all of the settings, either Auto or manual, are you 'writing' the settings to the MoVI using the GUI? If not then when you power off and then power back up it simply goes back to the default settings.

Please post your three stiffness settings so we can see what types of values you are running.

Also are you running Smooth Lock or Majestic Angle mode for the tilt?

18. Michael Bonocore

Hi Gary,

I am saving the settings now, but this would occur after every autotune, before I turn the unit off. I just ran autotune and I am on Majestic Angle mode.

My stiffness after the last auto tune is
    Pan - 62
    Roll - 33
    Tilt - 4

Thanks for the help Gary!

19. Michael Bonocore

Ah, and right now I have a Panasonic GH4 with a 7-14mm

20. Michael Bonocore

Allright, I am getting closer I think. Lots of adjustments. Now I am more smooth on the tilt, but get a pretty solid bounce back and forth. See the video. I did the movements a little harder to show you, but even just in soft walking, and movement is resulting in a camera bounce.