/dist/images/branding/favicon

Follow-yaw or Back-pan control

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Tov Belling, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Tov Belling

Tov Belling Member

Hi, I'm Film Guy new to these gimbals.
    Can anyone help me figure out how to disable the 'Follow Yaw' or 'Back-Pan' function. I use the M15 for tracking with cars from a crane. I am fighting the pan when we take sharp corners. I would like it to remain in position unless it receives an instruction from the remote controller. Any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Tov

2. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

wow ...... you don't have a crew with MOVI experience on set? :eek:
    o_O Flip the switch on the controller to remote.

3. Tov Belling

Tov Belling Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    I think that you may have misunderstood the issue. I am in 'Remote', but I want to stop the camera panning when the tracking vehicle turns. I want the Movi to only pan when it receives input from the controller.

4. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

Contact FREEFLY directly their support is very good!

5. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

How much 'byproduct' movement are you getting extactly Tov? Does it just happen on really violent/sudden turns, or is it all the time? And to what degree?

6. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

My experience is that it doesn't work like a traditional camera head at all. The gimbal locks and points in a specific direction (heading) when in dual operator mode, so you have to use the joystick to pan when the vehicle is turning.

Hope someone from Freefly can chime in and confirm or offer alternative.

Thanks.

7. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Ah, get it now.

Yes that would be an awesome feature, kind of like how tilt majestic works now whereby you can add in additional instruction from the remote. Was always curious why pan wasn't similarly enabled for majestic mode.

8. Tov Belling

Tov Belling Member

Its just the gimbal maintaining its heading as the tracking vehicle turns a corner. This causes the camera to pan off the vehicle in picture. Depending on our speeds, this can happen faster than I can correct with the remote, then the picture vehicle is out of shot....

9. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Im not sure what you would like to do. Something like Majestic mode but able to override pan via controller?

10. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I think the OP wants the M15 to follow the orientation of the tracking vehicle. For example, if the camera is pointing directly behind the car, and the car turns 90 degrees, then the camera would still be pointing directly behind the car.

Can't imagine any way of doing this without some kind of secondary IMU mounted on the vehicle, and firmware that can figure out the appropriate heading.

11. Tov Belling

Tov Belling Member

Yes, I think that is a good way to describe it. On most conventional stabilised heads you are able to select or deselect this feature. I do understand that this is not a conventional head, and we are all asking more and more of our MOVi's, but it just so seems so close... It performs so well on the crane in this situation that I am beginning to use it more and more, and then use the Toad In The Hole to clip into hand held for Old School MOVi operation.
    Some pics of the Crane setup with Hurricane Wheels
    IMG_3902.jpg
    IMG_3906.jpg

12. Tov Belling

Tov Belling Member

Hi,
    I think it is more a software solution. Just turning off the pan correction, but as Brad mentioned the best way to describe it would be to have remote pan layered on top of Majestic mode, kinda like the tilt is now.

13. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

Try turning the Pan Window down to 0 and run in majestic mode. You should still have remote tilt in majestic.

Jeff

14. Joe Tamel

Joe Tamel Member

Hey Tov,

Nice crane rig. Do you use it on a camera car and if so, do you find that your dampening system handles vibration from bumps in the road very well? Also curious as to what speed you are able to run your m15 on a crane in the wind caused by the moving camera car. I own jimmy jibs and will be experimenting with this very soon, but any info would be very helpful. Thanks.

Joe

15. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

Hurricane Wheels are Awesome, Have u upgraded the firmware? The controller now works without having to mess around the configuration settings for the movi. EXcept the Pan and Tilt are swapped. I just switch the wires for the wheels to fix that.

16. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

That looks like a M10

17. Tov Belling

Tov Belling Member

It's an M10 in that shot, but I use the same Vibration Isolator with the M15. Can hit about 80KPH with the crane arm out front, and more with the arm out the back. Dampening works really well.

18. bevan goldswain

I tried using majestic mode and setting pan window allege way down but got shaky results

19. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

How well does the Hurricane head work?

20. Tov Belling

Tov Belling Member

Really Great actually, I shoot a lot of car commercials and I use it most every time. I sometimes even put the movi on the dolly to save time with laying track.