/dist/images/branding/favicon

CS8- the safer alternative?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Tim Joy, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

After a sudden flip of my CS 6, due to battery or esc, I think, I'm looking for more security that if a motor/esc fails it's not going to end in the dirt again.
    Is the octo the cure?

Also, I had a weighty hex on 4s 4000 x2, that only got about 5-6 min flight times., and came down hot.
    I am thinking that a cs8 on 6s with the same load could get around 10 min at least?
    Payload is av200-style gimbal but heavier, with custom leg support tubes built onto it like the CS360, with CS legs, GH2, misc stuff like downlink, hdmi convertor, Rx, picloc, battery. Est weight 1.8 kilo/ 4 lbs

Any wisdom and guidance is appreciated.
    -Tim

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Thats the reason I went with the 8. I am flying the CS8, 360 gimbal, 5DMKII, downlink, Radian system, and on a single 6200mAh 4s I get about 6minutes and with 2 6200s I get about 11-12 depending on what kind of flying I am doing.

Josh

3. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Could you potentially get more time on 6s?
    I'm wondering if 6s on the QC motors would be too much for my setup?

4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I can't run 6s on mine... I am using the MK FC and electronics which will only take a 5s and thats after modifying the RECOMs.

5. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Is anyone running a CS8 on 6S with the 700kv QC motors?

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Tim, 6s is mismatched for the QC motors. Your ESC would be running at a very low part throttle setting. I think if you want to run 6s you need to go to some lower KV motors.

Tabb

7. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

700kv is definitely too high for 6s. Something in the 400kv range is more suite for 6s

8. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Thanks guys.
    So are most people using 4s on the CS8?
    I should mention I'm planning on using the WKM.

9. Tristan Twisselman

Most I've seen are 4-5s. When I built mine I decided to go with 6s and am happy I did.

10. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Can you give a little detail on your setup?

11. Tristan Twisselman

WKM Cinestar 8 with Cinestar 360.
    Currently using Hoverfly gimbal board but pre ordered the radian.
    Castle ice 50 esc's with tiger motor 3515-400kv and apc 14x4.7 props.
    6s 10,000 but changing to 6s 13,200. Flight times with 4 pound camera on 10,000mah is 10:15.
    Motors come down cool and esc's ambient. Was using 12khz but recently switched to 16khz to try.

12. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Nice. How about windy conditions with those big props?

13. Tristan Twisselman

It actually handles it pretty well, I will know for sure once I get my new packs and downlink etc on so I can see how it flies with its final all up weight etc. Ill report back when I do that.

14. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

For redudancy and better orientation I converted CS8 into X8 setup and it flies pretty smooth with CS 360 mount and I can still fit in 14" props.

For CS6, you can convert it into Y6 setup for better redundacy. Y6 will also handle that payload but I would go for 8 motors if you're planning to use WKM. The reason is, you get better performance with small props while using WKM and WKM still performs worse than MK or HoverFly in windy conditions.

15. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I used to run the CS6 in Y6 config. That was with a 2-axis gimbal, and since going 360 my camera op does not want to go back! :D I think the lower props might get in the way with a 360 mount.

16. David Pope

David Pope New Member

Interesting--- Can you explain how a X8 has any more redundancy than a conventional octo?

17. John Gore

John Gore Member

IMHO I will only fly 8 motors, specifically for the safety aspect. I have had 2 props break in the same flight, and the OctaXL did not even flinch, or loose altitude. Just picked up a mean wobble on the video downlink, that was the only indication I had that the props had broken. I them made a safe landing, and found I had completely lost 1 prop, and half of a second prop. On another occasion I flew a bit too close to a tree, and hit a branch, breaking the prop on motor 1. Managed to keep my cool, and slow pitch backwards and fly away from the tree safely and land. Again, no loss of altitude, or strange flight (only a prop noise / tone that gave away the fact that a prop had been damaged).

So, IMHO, 8 motor multi is a must for safely.

They say a hex can loose a motor and still fly, but I have seen videos, and it seems the hex will dive to the side when a motor / prop goes, which changes the controls for the pilot, and make lead to a worse crash. The stability of the Octa / 8 motor setup, even when 1 or 2 motors/props break makes me trust them a lot more.