/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mikrokopter Firmware Upgrades : IMPORTANT

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Based on information I have received from Mikrokopter:

1. Please check the firmware that you are using for your BL-Ctrl's on the Double Quadro boards. Please do NOT fly with versions 1.00 or 1.02. As has been posted elsewhere, there is the potential for motor restart and current spike problems which may cause crashes. PLEASE UPGRADE THE BL-CTRL FIRMWARE TO 1.08 BEFORE YOUR NEXT FLIGHT if you are not already at version 1.08.

The upgrade instructions are here: http://wiki.mikrokopter.de/BL_V3Update
    You will need to translate them into English using Google Translate or your Web Browser.
    EDIT: Holger points out that the English instructions are here: http://wiki.mikrokopter.de/en/BL_V3Update

There are additional comments here: http://www.multirotorforums.com/archive/index.php/t-18960.html

2. Flight Control Board firmware:
    The current version is version 2.08 -- please consider upgrading to this. You will need to upgrade to matching MK Tool and Navigation Control board firmware -- but the MK Tool app can guide you on this.

If you choose not to upgrade to 2.08 then please double check you are not using FC Version 2.06a, b, c, d, or e -- please upgrade to 2.06f -- this version corrects a problem EDIT: with current spikes during motor start. where some users found the copters would climb rapidly after take off. Please consider this a mandatory upgrade.

Thanks
    Andy.

2. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

2.08 and 1.10 on the BL's. THankyou for the warning Andy!

3. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to broadcast this recommendation Andy.
    Lobster dinner for you next time you are in the Boston area.

-m

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Please note the edits I made to the original posting!

(Mike: I accept, but only if your friend can join us!)

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Just re-did everything the other day (2.08 and 1.10). Man, those BLs are a pain to update! o_O

6. Ryan McMaster

Took me 30 minutes to do the Hex... 3 hours to do the octo...

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ryan/Steve: Any lessons learned that you can share with other forum members as to how to upgrade the BL-Ctrls, please?

Andy.

8. Ryan McMaster

Andy,

I can shoot a video after I get home tonight. I have a Combi Hex BL 3.0 and BL 3.0 cool dual quad and show people the best way to do both. I am working on a clamp that will work a bit better then the current method as well.

American Flats is being demolished this week and I am documenting it as it is a big part of local history. Off to fly!

9. Steve Maller

The one thing I'll say is that Holger's method of bending pins to create a clamp-ish thing is problematic because the pins are actually scraping off the pads on my PDB, making subsequent connections harder and harder. I wish they'd put plugs on the board or made it able to upgrade from MKTOOL. A true pain and a bad design.

10. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

@Andy - My friend said he would join us and pick up the tab.

@Ryan, a video would be appreciated!

@Steve, and suggestions regarding a holger bent pin tool replacement?

11. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Anyone who isn't comfortable with the software update can send their ESC into Quadrocopter for a complementary firmware upgrade service.
    email: adam(at)quadrocopter.com for more details.

Greetings,
    Adam

Dave King and MIke Magee like this.
  12. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Adam, what are the GPS coordinates there? I'll slap on some really big batts and send the copter on its way!

Steve Maller likes this.
  13. Ryan McMaster

Tomorrow is another day of filming, we got all the ground shots today and half the aerials. On an un-related note... anyone ever done video of a building demolition?! I have to fly around a crane with a wrecking ball (going to keep 100+ ft out).

I will toss together a video of doing one BL on each board I have, how to make a tool and how to use the MK tool. There has to be a way of making a device that can clamp on to the board without causing damage. I noticed the same thing Steve and it is starting to concern me.

14. Derek Cooper

Wrecking ball - very cool! If your pilot is competent, follow the ball with the copter as it swings into the building. Just remember to pull up or stop before hitting!

How have you solved the problem of the copter pilot, camera operator and DP being able to talk to each other through complex flights? We've taken to talking / shouting, but that only works to a certain extent. Talked to Motorola yesterday about 2-way vox radios, but they really don't recommend it. Hard for the pilot and camera operator to let go to push-to-talk.

15. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Adam, you folks at Quadrocopter have always been generous with your support and assistance. Thank You.
    -m

16. Steve Maller

The one time I had to do this I used our iPhones and earbuds. No worries about 2-way radio freq interference or PTT stuff. Worked great.

17. Derek Cooper

Hey Steve - we've tried the iPhone approach, but there are times when we're remote and cell tower reception isn't great.

18. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Not Ryan or Steve but one thing that helped me was to solder the ground to the MK USB so that there is only 2 pins to worry about. It cut my time down more than half to do the updates.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

20. Derek Cooper

Spoke with Motorola again today - they think their RMU2043 radio would do the trick. They have an ear piece with mouth mic (part # 53865) that'll support VOX. I hear mixed things about VOX.