/dist/images/branding/favicon

HD TX mount location?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Derek Cooper, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Hey Gang,

Is it ok to mount a Paralinx Arrow-X tx on the Movi's main controller? We'd use a very strong velcro adhesive on that flat plate. Doesn't look like a heat sync - those appear to run down either side of that unit.

The Paralinx tx would be mounted with its heat syncs facing outward, and since we're flying, there is no shortage of airflow to cool things off! LOL

Derek

IMG_0044.JPG

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Derek only concern would be having a transmitting device close to the electronics of the MoVI and the controller receiver. Most setups I have seen have the TX mounted on another leg, at least from the posted photos.

3. Derek Cooper

Yah, but the leg approach causes pan balance problems. Given the physics of its distance from the centre point of the pan motor, even small weights on the legs force an imbalance on pan.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I share Gary's concerns, Derek, but the only way you'll know for sure is to try it. If you experience short range problems with the MoVI, you'll know what the cause is! :)

Andy

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

For the balance bit I suspend the gimbal on a string and start placing the bits and pieces. I have the gimbal mechanically balanced and then put the TX and aux battery on watching the result while suspended. Might need to add something to get it all balanced.

As Andy says you can give it a try in any configuration. There are reported issues on the forum when mounted close to the electronics/control RX (RX from Specktrum/Futaba, not sure about the new MoVI controller RX).

6. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

This is how we do the Bolt for Live broadcast on the M5. Note that we DO not use the Bm4k on the M5 anymore or for live broadcast=) I machined a custom plate that allows the BOlt attach to the camera mount and hang antenna down. Balancing is super easy and it works like a charm. bolt4k.jpg

7. Derek Cooper

Interesting. Worth a shot!

Was thinking of finding a way to mount it per attached pic.

image.jpg

8. Derek Cooper

Yah, the proximity does make me nervous. Just that nice flat space was shouting out to me!

On the balancing issue, with the copter configuration, the pan knuckle is moved as far forward as possible to achieve pan balance, and even then it's not far enough to achieve true pan balance. So there is opportunity to add more counter-weight.

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

add a bit of some type of weight to the other two legs to offset and it should all be in balance.

10. Derek Cooper

True enough. We'll see if we can get a good mount on top of the pan knuckle. Failing that we will go back to the leg and put counter-balances on the other two. Tks Gary and Andy!

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You might consider moving the LiPo out to be the counterbalance -- I've not done this for the MoVI, but it would be nice not to have "dead" weight to lift.

Andy.