/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sony FS7 on M5?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Derek Cooper, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Hey gang,

We have taken a keen interest in Sony's new FS7 cam to fly on an M5 under our drone.

About 4lbs when the top handle and associated stuff is removed. Primes that we use around 1/2 lbs. I think it's doable?

We were shooting BMX bikers yesterday and would have loved the high speed shooting options available on the FS7.

Derek

2. Tanner Wilson

Tanner Wilson New Member

Most of us haven't had our orders ship yet, but from what I've read, pretty sure the FS7 is just over 4lbs stripped down 100% as in no battery, no nothing. Add that stuff on and you'll be pushing the motors of the M5. Main issue I think you're going to run into is that the cage for the M5 is very shallow -- the FS7 is a pretty long camera.

But people are saying it works on an M10

3. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

9.9 lb / 4.4 kg: includes Body, Viewfinder, Eyepiece, Grip Remote Control, BP-U30 Battery, SELP28135G Lens, an XQD Memory card. Hope this helps

J

4. Derek Cooper

Yah, saw the stripped down weight, which I think includes the handle and all that crap on the top, which we don't need for drone flying. Talked to Sony today, they confirmed that can all be stripped off. So thinking under 4 lbs?

Time to get out the ruler... ;-)

5. Tanner Wilson

Tanner Wilson New Member

Here's a guy running it on an M15, he turns to profile view towards the end.

Interesting that he's just relocated the FS7 viewfinder -- wonder if it's big enough for actual use. More interesting would be if there's a way to get the FS7 grip over to replace the right handle of the movi... have zoom, record, focus, etc all in your own hand while running majestic.

6. Derek Cooper

Based on measurements (physical dimensions) it appears as though it would be tight front to back.

M15 would be excessive capacity even w bigger lenses? M10 likely most appropriate?

7. Tanner Wilson

Tanner Wilson New Member

M15 will definitely fit it better for balancing with bigger lenses (heavier the lens, further back the camera has to slide) but for smaller stuff the M10 seems like to go to. Cinema primes or that new sony 28-135 would probably stress the M10 a bit, but everything else should be great.

Jonathan Ross likes this.
  8. Derek Cooper

We were thinking of the Zeiss Touit primes. Great optics, low profile. Just no iris ring which is bothersome, but Sony tells me we can use WiFi to adjust iris using a tablet. Thoughts?

And did I read that wrong, the M10 is actually lighter than the M5?

9. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

The M10 is lighter than the M5.

10. Derek Cooper

Why is that?

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

M5 has the full cage, tool less knuckle, wider camera plate to name a few improvements.

12. Derek Cooper

Freefly hasn't rolled the M5 improvements up to the M10?

13. Jonathan Ross likes this.
  14. Tanner Wilson

Tanner Wilson New Member

Unfortunately, the rest of the improvements have not been updated to the M10 (motor coverings, cable housing, etc.)