/dist/images/branding/favicon

Parallel LiPo Charging?

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Alex Gower, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Alex Gower

Alex Gower New Member

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I certainly charge up pairs of similar batteries on a Hyperion Super Duo 720. By similar I mean same vendor, capacity, and charging history.

Andy.

3. Pavlos Antoniou

e
    everyone is doing this :p:p

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andy and PaNt. The method that is shown in the article is using a single output charger, a balance splitter device, and multiple Y-adapters to charge multiple batteries. Maybe that would work on small batteries but I wouldn't do it on the types that we use. They are temperamental enough without trying this approach. All of the cells pictured are 2200mah and look like 2S packs from the balance wires.

5. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I too have thought about doing this... hmmmm

Josh

6. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I buy lipos in sets of two. I first check their voltage levels to make sure they're discharged to the same voltage level. I then permanently wire them in parallel this way I know they'll always be equally matched, balanced and stable when balance charging. Having them live separate lives, only connecting them in parallel when flying, makes me a little nervous especially at the voltages we use...if you have one cell out of balance when connecting two fully charged lipos in parallel could spell disaster.

I share Gary's thoughts. The potential for danger with bigger lipos using the method at the above link increases as the lipos age and each individual cell is unable to maintain the same voltage level.

7. Pavlos Antoniou

Hey guys comeone.. THe parrallel charging is very good...

My charger is the Powelab 8 one of the best charger.. this charger can Parrallel charge from on output till 9 lipos..!

I charge my 6s lipos on this charger on set of two..!
    If you lipos have the same cycles and are the same you can parrallel charge without problem..!
    The charger is checking you lipo as one big ligo...! Thats it...!

I am doing this some years :) :) as i am a Airmodeller (heli 3d pilot) apart for the AP AV :)

8. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Here's a thing to watch out for:
    I was charging 6x 4S packs at a time. Then I went and did a flight using 2 packs that are always paired, without checking the packs before the flight. I'm pretty sure one pack had a bad cell on the charger, but since it is in parallel with 5 other packs, the charger didn't 'notice'. Long story short, as soon as I hit my halfway mark on the timer, the flight was over... abruptly.
    The other danger when charging this way is fire, of course, but that is always a danger.
    Howard, I like your method, and I also like the idea of only charging two packs at a time so that any problems have a better chance of being 'discovered' by the charger.

9. Pavlos Antoniou

thats why you can go with Powelab 8 that have safe parrallel balance boards and the wires red and black has 2 fuses 40A :) :)

Its a great charger and as for the bad cell you are right that why i always charge in parrallel only 2 packs that i use in parrallel on the copter too..!

10. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

11. kjetil tønnesen