/dist/images/branding/favicon

M15+Sony FS7 will it work

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Markus Mueller, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Markus Mueller

Hi Everybody,

What do you think - might cameras witch dimensions are to big for the cage fit with little modification ? The new Sony FS7 has the dimensions of 156x239x247mm. Any chance to get it in ?
    And will a sony F5 fit with v-mount attached, or even the Raw-Recorder ?

Any ideas on that topic ? Or is the cage dimensions the limit of the camera size ?

Best Markus

2. David Blair

David Blair New Member

I don't think the v-mount & raw recorder will, but those can be mounted on the handles if required.

Wow I didn't realize the FS7 would be so big, that makes it bigger than the F55 body. Totally forces me to reevaluate my plans. :(

3. Hikari Homma

Hikari Homma Member

It's very important point.
    Why there is not enough info. It's needed.
    M10/15 can carry FS7? And with which lenses? And with vmount?
    Unless these info, how can we make decision that going to upgrade to M15 or not.

Ikbal Arafa likes this.
  4. Markus Mueller

I think the FS7 will definitly not fit in the cage on the M15. It is by 5 cm to high. My question would be - can you take the top mount of the cage off so you could fit higher cameras, or will these 5 cm hit the roll-bar during balancing the tilt axis ?
    It will be a - not to buy this camcorder decision - and hopefully Canon thinks about an answer to Sonys attack - but stays in the dimensions of a C300.

5. David Blair

David Blair New Member

Amen to that man. A C500 with internal 4k and at least 120p in HD would make these choices much easier.

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

You can remove the top handle and keep using the gimbal.

7. Markus Mueller

Hi Ozkan,
    maybe I misunderstand you - but of course you can remove the top handle.
    The question is - can you remove the top-part of the cage to fit higher cameras? And - will you be able to perform the second part of the tilt balance, where you have the lens facing the pan-motor and slide it up and down the cage-rods to proper balance it? On my C300 in the M10 I even have to remove the viewfinder, cause it hits the roll-bar while tilting up.

Best Markus

8. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Hello Markus,

Yes I meant top part of the cage. For instance, C100 is too tall for M5's cage and it's possible to fit it there by removing the top part of the cage:

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/m5-and-the-c100.3595/#post-44870

You can still balance it, the top part of the cage helps to hold the camera more rigidly.

Still if you need top part of the cage, you can change the side booms of the tilt cage with a longer one. They are using 15mm carbon fiber tubes.

9. Markus Mueller

Thanks again Ozkan :)

10. David Blair

David Blair New Member

Great news!

I just had a look at this brochure from Sony:
    http://www.cinema5d.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PXW-FS7_Brochure.pdf

There is a dimension graphic on the last page. It says that the height of the camera (without the handle) is 142.5mm, and the length (again not counting the front-protruding handle!) is 202.1mm.

This puts the camera not only within the range of the M15, but may also squeeze into the M10!!

I'm going to see if we can test this out at the pro video store near us.

Ikbal Arafa likes this.
  11. Hikari Homma

Hikari Homma Member

I got my FS7 and tried blance it on my M10.
    It was very easy to balance FS7 and sony 18-105 F4 which is light weight lens.
    I don't need any counter weight.
    FS700 need a lot of counter weight even with this light weight lens.

I think I can use EF 16-35 if I add some counter weight on the rear of camera. I think M10 is OK for it.
    Ofcourse M15 is better.
    EF16-35 & follow focus and FS7 is a bit difficult you need a lot of counter weight.

Attached Files:

12. David Blair

David Blair New Member

You have made my Tuesday sir! Good news. I'll check out this camera at InterBee next month before pulling the trigger.

The Sony 18-105mm is 427g, which is nice and light. I'd love to mount the Sigma 18-35mm which will be around 1kg, so I'll have to look at counterweight options.

13. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Is there enough clearance between the rear of the camera and the Movi rig to allow for proper tilting? Looking at the measurements, I think it would be too tight?

14. Hikari Homma

Hikari Homma Member

I'm using EF24-105 and metabonse SB. You need counterweight. But it works fine. No worry about tilt. M15 is not needed for FS7 if you don't use mat box. But I guess even M15, you can't use mat box. I'm not sure about this point. Someone knows?

15. Ikbal Arafa

Ikbal Arafa New Member

Hi Everybody,
    Did anyone tried the Fs7 + the XDCA extension unit on the M15?

16. Derek Cooper

It's got to work - there is tons of space on the M15.

FS7 fits fine on the M10 without the extension unit. I'm guessing you *may* run in to problems cause the mount point on the FS7 is very far forward and the plate my not be long enough to allow you to slide the camera further forward.

Ryan Hamelin and Ikbal Arafa like this.
  17. Zach Rockenstyre

Zach Rockenstyre New Member

Hey Guys,

We've got the FS7 and M15 here at Hello World in NY and they work together like a charm. We haven't gotten the Raw extension unit in, but there seems to be enough room for it. I put the FS7 on the M10 and it will work with certain lens and follow focus combinations. I wouldn't recommend trying to use a metabones and L series glass on a M10 with a wireless ff though as it gets tricky to balance. Curious to see about that XDCA unit on the M15....

Ryan Hamelin likes this.
  18. Derek Cooper

Zach - are you guys thinking you'll get the extension unit? Curious what people will gain, other the the obvious "Hey, we shoot RAW," when the S-Log 3 footage looks spectacular.

19. Zach Rockenstyre

Zach Rockenstyre New Member

Hey Derek. We've been steadily picking up more FS7s, so we may wind up getting one, but it's not high on our wishlist right now. Like you said, the footage onboard the camera looks fantastic. I don't think the camera's remotely close to peaking in it's popularity yet, so I suspect demand will wind up forcing our hand on the rental end. For our shooters, we don't wind up shooting a ton that demands RAW and we've got RED for that anyway so I don't think it'll be super popular for us. Besides, RED and Movi play so nicely together.:D

Ryan Hamelin likes this.
  20. Ikbal Arafa

Ikbal Arafa New Member

I tried today to fit the FS7 with the extension Unit on my m15. I was thinking about powering the unit with a 4pin XLR Cable coming from a Vlock battery installed on the Handle bar. The camera is still front heavy, even with a canon glasses.
    I will give it another try tomorow but I don't think that it wil work as I will need either a longer quick release plate or longer arms.