/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 Nodding

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Daniel Doren Huerta, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Daniel Doren Huerta

I need some advice in relation to the following problem: When I am flying in One pilot configuration, this means I am only able to control the tilt of the M5, the horizon seems stable but I have a constant nodding on the tilt axis. I have calibrated and balanced all axis automatically and manually but the problem persists. Does anyone know if there is something else that I can do to solve the problem? I would really appreciate some help.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Is it possible that you have a loose cable, not electrically, but one that's flapping around a bit? There's quite a breeze up there from the motors, etc. that can cause oscillations. One good debugging tool is to clamp a GoPro to the frame of the copter (not the gimbal) to "watch" what's going on in the air with the MōVI. You might be surprised at what you see.

Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

3. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

What are your majestic settings?

4. Daniel Doren Huerta

Dear Steve.
    you are one of the most generous people in sharing your experience in this forum, I think I speak for everyone telling you thank you very much your time and help. I check all suggestions on discussion in MoVI M5 started by Tuukka Ylonen "Stability problems with M5 and Cinestar8 and I've followed all the advice...the problem is not solved!!!
    I hope people from Freefly take the time to at least answer one of the two questions that I have made in this forum....this is the second!!!
    the first was
    Gui for iOS devices like iPad & iPhone.

5. Daniel Doren Huerta

my settings are:
    Pan Smoothing 7
    Pan Window 4
    Tilt Mode smooth Lock
    Tilt Smoothing 15
    Tilt Window 12

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Daniel: Just to confirm -- if you hold the M5 camera frame in one hand and the camera lens in the other, can you feel *any* mechanical play, please? You description of "nodding" is a good one, but can you give us any idea of the frequency of the nodding (e.g. post a video of the nodding either from the payload camera, or from another camera....is it really a constant low-frequency oscillation, or are the periods of time when the nodding stops?

Also, can you post an image of your setup that shows the camera mounted on the M5, please?

Thanks
    Andy.

7. Daniel Doren Huerta

Andy,
    I can not feel any mecanical play. when flying forward is most noticeable... Roll and panning seem to be ok. I only have problems with the Tilt. the camera is Panasonic GH4 with Lens Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f/2,5
    I will upload a video right away but is very similar to video shown in Stability problems with M5 and Cinestar8 by Mr Tuukka Ylonen.
    I appreciate your interest and help...

8. Daniel Doren Huerta

Ok this is the video
    password 123456

9. Daniel Doren Huerta

Brett any comment on the settings?

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Daniel:
    Thanks. That seems to eliminate (or reduce) the likelihood that it is mechanical. I just saw your video and "nodding" still is a good term for it -- it is not oscillation because there seems to be periods when it does not happen.

Do you see this "nodding" when you hover the aircraft? (I'm trying to eliminate the slipstream from forward motion or transmitter interruption).

Also, do you see it if you fly with the M5 in Majestic Mode?

Andy

11. Brett Harrison

Nodding is a good description. I have this symptom with my M15. I've never seen it with my M10. It's certainly not an effect I can imagine getting with a poor balance or incorrect settings. Since poor balance would generate a bias in a single direction only (for a given attitude) so it's left to the electronics and software, which should always be smoothing, but this movement is harsh and sudden, like a knock. You can get sudden movement when you pass over the window line but not this kind of action IMO.

Another description might be 'bobbing'. I think it's that the motor isn't offering any resistance in one direction up to a certain angle at which point it corrects, like a window within which the motor offers no resistance, but only in one direction, creating a ricochet that settles down.

Please let us know what tech support says.

12. Daniel Doren Huerta

Andy,
    if you look at the first few seconds of the video I am hovering the aircraft and this movement is appreciated.
    I have not made ​​flights with Majestic Mode since I have no control on Tilt.
    What should I do now.? Do you have any suggestion?
    Should I send my M5 for repair to tech support?

13. Brett Harrison

Daniel it might br an idea to do a video on the stand and try and replicate it to better illustrate the problem.

14. Daniel Doren Huerta

Thanks Brett
    Unfortunately the problem only occurs in the air...I'll see if it can perceive something with a go pro...it seems to me this is very subtle..enough to notarce on camera...but I'll try

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Open up a support ticket with Freefly, Daniel. Send an email to support@freeflysystems.com

Andy.

16. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Daniel can you post some photos of your setup? Gimbal, vibration mounts, etc?

17. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I do not fly with Tilt Majestic enabled, as I find it counterproductive on the copter. I don't want the copter to dampen tilts...I want the tilt to be locked in unless I move it.

Handheld I definitely use it, though. Just not in the air.

18. Brett Harrison

You can simulate it on the stand though. All the same settings and mode, hand hold it, gentry push on the head to simulat G force. The rig doesn't know any better hehe.

19. Daniel Doren Huerta

Ok I will do all this... Andy I send ticket to sopport... ASAP I recibe anser I will let you now

20. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I read through the thread but Im confused as to what settings you have exactly. Judging by the video, I think your in Handheld and running in Majestic mode vs Dual operator. Is this correct? Also, from above I see your in smooth lock so tilting of the Copter/MoVI should have no effect in the image... so we can eliminate that.

What are your stiffness settings?