/dist/images/branding/favicon

Camera/Lens Stabilizers

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Ryan J. Rowe, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

I have a GH3 on order, but until then I've been flying with 5DM2 and 16-35mm f2.8 lens without IS. I've been testing gains, changing isolators, etc and I'm still not happy with the results. It's mostly the smaller jittery type movements that I can't seem to smooth out. I've read almost every thread on the subject and tried most things suggested. I know the Sony CX760 IS is a treasure and I have a lot of experience with the GH2 IS and in the future I will fly with IS. However I was curious if anyone here thinks it's possible to get buttery footage without IS in camera or on lens.

2. Jon Fredericks

Ryan - we fly both of those cameras, and have had good luck with the BOSS system in the CX760, but still not perfection. We have experimented with both the GH2 and 760 on a variety of different isolator modifications. Our best (and most simple) solution so far has been tying 2 rubber bands around each isolator/star leg - same orientation as the o-rings, but ALL the way around the whole kit-n-kaboodle. This helps limit the amount of 'roll twich'.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jon: Any chance you could post an image of the rubber band setup -- it sounds like an interesting idea -- I can kinda visualize it, but an image would dispel any doubts....

Andy.

4. Jon Fredericks

Here it 'tis. One rubber band or two for even more stiffness. Its temporary but seems to work ok.

[​IMG]

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Jon! I see what you mean about being "tied." But the important point is that it works. Thanks for posting the image.

Andy.

6. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

Thanks Jon. I will try that. I tried stiffening the O-rings by making little figure 8's out of them instead of an O. It definitely stiffened them up a bunch, maybe too much as it made everything worse. I wonder if figure 8'ing just one or two per isolator would work?? 20121126_Figure_8-Orings_0001.jpg

7. Jon Fredericks

Interesting concept. I can't imagine the tedium involved in figure-eighting those rings - my fingers are too big for that! ;)
    Just doing one or two could work...