/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tiny Loose Wire Protruding From Rear Of M15?

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Carey Lee Coffey, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Carey Lee Coffey

Can someone please shed some light on what this tiny cable is for and why it's hanging loose? I can't find anything about it anywhere in the manual.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Thanks!

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

It's for the radio control receiver, either a Spektrum one (like the unit glued to the side of the cpu of the M10 for example) or the FF one that comes with the MoVI controller.

3. Carey Lee Coffey

Oh, thanks Brett... Does the M15 not come with a receiver? Should I just leave it dangle if I'm flying in Majestic Mode?

4. Brett Harrison

No it doesn't come with any controller - you'd need to buy a DX7S with a receiver included. I learned this from tech support after a bit of questioning, after making the assumption there'd be a reciver built in and failing to bind my radio repeatedly. I do think the shop should make explicit that the package comes without "out of the box" dual user functionality.

5. Carey Lee Coffey

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Carey you can take the cover off an remove the cable. Better to remove it and save it from getting damaged so that you have it if you ever get the MoVI controller or some other TX/RX unit.

7. Carey Lee Coffey

Okay Gary, thanks!

8. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

For clarification, the wire pre-attached on the M15 is only for the Spektrum. The MoVI Controller ships with a 5-wire cable that connects its receiver to the MoVI, next to the Spektrum port.

9. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Member

Hi Bryan, I have a DX8 that I plan to use, what receiver should I get and how do I install it? Do I just pop off the side cover and slap it in and attach the cable??

10. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

When we ship a MōVI with a DX8, we bind them with the Spektrum SPM9645. You can plug the SPM9645 into the cable already attached to the M15 (or install your own cable on any MōVI) and bind it with your controller. You can install it on the side of the of the gimbal control unit, or the cover below it.

11. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Member

The SPM9645 is just a remote extension so I am confused. Does that mean there is a proper spectrum receiver built in even if you buy an M15 without a controller? Reading posts above it is suggested that the M15 when bought without a controller does not have any receiver at all. That is fine if that is the case, I just need to know what receiver to buy in addition to the SPM9645 extension and how it is powered etc. Please advise so I can be prepared in advance

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The SPM9645 is not a remote extension -- it's actually a small, light, receiver in its own right. In the RC world it's used as a secondary receiver so you have two receivers separated by some distance on, say, an aircraft. The goal there is that it provides spatial diversity so you don't lose the command and control link if the primary receiver is shielded by some part of the aircraft.

Check out https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM9645 with that concept in mind and you'll see what I mean.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

Bryan Edmonds likes this.
  13. Brett Harrison

Thanks for the clarification Mike and Andy.

14. Tov Belling

Tov Belling Member

Just ordered a new receiver (the one above) from an AU reseller. Not really great info on the Go Big 'upgrade'. We don't have everything in the shelf here in Australia, so a small thing like this can mean a substantial delay getting up and running.

15. Brad Seals

Brad Seals New Member

I agree as well. If they know we are upgrading then all the more reason to point that out.