/dist/images/branding/favicon

Stability problems with M5 and Cinestar-8

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Tuukka Ylonen, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Zaid not familiar with the vibration mount that you show. Is made to handle the weights involved? Can you change to different strength rubber isolators? It sounded like you have two isolation points but I don't see that in the photos. Others have found that they have a whole new set of problems with a double systems as Steve points out. What happens if you direct mount the MoVI to the bottom plate without the Toad? Also any flexing of motor booms, out of balance motors or props can contribute. And hovering flight is just about the worst situation since the copter is sitting in disturbed air.

2. Zaid Al-Obaidi

Zaid Al-Obaidi New Member

I don't think I am able to source different strength isolators, they can handle unto 600g each and I have 8, so that should cover me to 4.8kg.
    Yes I have a secondary anti vibration plate, with separates the air frame from the undercarriage, similar setup to the gimbal plate. I must admit the quick release never crossed my mind, as it is fixed firmly. I am running out of options really. I guess the next step is to remove the quick connects ant try again and possibly change the mounting rails. I am heading into building a UAV around a gimbal ! just for your information here is what the anti vibration data its a screen grab from their website.
    Forgot to add that a Z15 gimbal on the same UAV (apart from the quick connect) produces footage that does not need to be stabilised in post editing that is the shocking thing about it !! I have made a direct comparison on the same day two different gimbals, I hate to admit it but Z15 out preformed the Movi 5 !!

Attached Files:

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If is see a range of 300g-600g loading it to 600g probably is going to be suboptimal. How do the installed weights with camera compare between a Z15 gimbal and your MoVI?

4. Zaid Al-Obaidi

Via a secondary quick realise plate, but without the secondary anti vibration plate, the Z15 has an inbuilt one on the four corner mounting points, The camera on the Z15 is lighter, its a Nex7 with 16mm lens. I haven't made an accurate weight comparison ...Here is the footage of that day, password 123456

Thanks you

5. Clive Bevan

Clive Bevan New Member

Hi Zaid, this may or may not help, but my skyjib x8 developed a nasty twitch once the M5 was attached. I ran autotune whilst it was hovering which took some of it out, but then I backed off the pan by about 30% which appears to have almost solved the problem.

Clive

Member ARPAS-UK

Zaid Al-Obaidi likes this.
  6. Zaid Al-Obaidi

Thanks Clive for the above comment. Will have a try.

7. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I too found out that usually the pan stiffness setting is the one to check firstly if there is jitter in the picture.

8. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Using Autotune, the Pan is set to high with my M5 :-(
    Roll and tilt a bit on the low side compared to manual tuning.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Could you give us any specifics in terms of what the Autotune settings are and the manual tuning settings are, please, Janne?

Andy

10. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I have come into conclusion that M5 needs a heavy lens - at least in case of Canon 5M Mark iii - to work well.

I have both Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM that is a fairly light lens and the Canon 16-35mm F/4 IS USM which is heavier and the stability is good with autotune on the latter lens.

With EF 24mm after autotune the stiffness values are clearly lower on tilt and pan axes and the stabilisation is not very good anymore.

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I'm using the GH4 with a Olympus 12/2 lens which weighs as much as 130 g of feathers, and if you balance it and trim it correctly, it works great. And I've also flown my 5D Mark III with the 24/2.8 (very light) and 16-35 and 85/1.2, both of which are very heavy. The MōVI doesn't care about heavy vs. light lenses in my experience. You just have to know how to balance and tune it.

12. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

With Man tuning my Gimbal is better than I thought was possible.
    But you must not forget to thighten every little screw on the M5!!

Auto is like Auto exposure on a camera, only gives you a rather good guide where to start....

Pan Auto 130, man 95
    Roll Auto 55, man 75
    Tilt Auto 15, man 25

Bryan Edmonds likes this.
  13. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Well I´m happy for you Steve, but these are my experiences. I think I know rather well how to tune and balance the Movis and how to check the usual suspects (screw tightness etc.) being an owner of both M10 and M5.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Those do seem like quite significant differences -- as you say, Janne, the camera must be mounted rigidly otherwise it acts as a counter-pendulum.

Is anyone else seeing such differences? On the M5 I have here, with a 5D Mark III, the autotune is very close.

Andy.