/dist/images/branding/favicon

Switching from M10 to tripod the quickest?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ben Huddleston, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Ben Huddleston

Have any of you come up with THE solution for quickly going from m10 to sticks super fast? I know it doesn't take that long to unscrew the movi plate and screw on the tripod plate, but it is a tiny PITA.

There are loads of quick-release things on the market, but all that I've used are either too bulky or too heavy or both.

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

The fastest way that I've found is to just leave the Cinema Oxide Tripod adapter for Movi attached to the tripod. When you are done shooting handheld and you want to lay it down in the tripod, just dock it. For extra rigidity, you can lock the clamps. It won't add any weight to your rig, and collapses down for transportation.

Here's a pic of the adapter on a Miller head and then another on a C-stand. sorry its a bit dark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Collapsed:

[​IMG]

We've been a bit overwhelmed with orders for this device, so we've been processing the queue steadily.

There's also a video clip of it here:

3. Ben Huddleston

Thanks Jason, but I think I miscommunicated. I meant for when you want to quickly remove the camera from the MoVI itself and mount it on the tripod for shooting.

4. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Darn, sorry I misunderstood. I suppose it would be slick if someone made a quickrelease tripod mount that interfaces directly with the Movi camera plate. That would work perfectly for your application. It may not be that difficult to make one if you know a good machine shop.

5. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

I'm sure this has been mentioned before as a feature request for FreeFly to add to their support products. To take the receiver mount on the MoVI and mount it to a plate that could be attached to a tripod head. Not only would this be good for the need described above, but there are many times I am building the camera off the MoVI and would like it in a stable mount either on the tripod or my camera cart.
    All the best,
    lael

Rob Drewett likes this.
  6. Charles Bergquist

I'm in the same situation, I'm thinking of going do the Wooden Camera route and getting Quick Releases for my Dragon. Will add a fractional amount of weight but I think it'll be worth it to pop off MoVI and go to sticks.

http://woodencamera.com/RED/Camera-Support-RED/Quick-Release-Plate-Epic-Scarlet.html

http://woodencamera.com/RED/Camera-Support-RED/Quick-Dovetail-Epic-Scarlet.html

Attaching a Quick Dovetail to the MoVI and a Tripod set up. I think this will work, anyone see any issues with it?

7. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Should work. I don't know the weights for these items, but for the most part Wooden Camera accessories are surprisingly light. I use their Top plate for the Epic on the Movi.

8. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

HI:

I use Manfrotto quick release plates. The sliding ones for bigger ones and the photo ones for lighter cameras. It works fine.

Susanne Long likes this.
  9. alain baars

alain baars Member

You mean you have a manfrotto quick release plate mounted on your M10 permanently?
    this is what I was thinking of doing myself, since I do a lot of tripod stuff

10. Augusto Alves da Silva

Yes, I have the same mount on tripod and on the Movi. Because the Movi plate is not standard (Arri, Arca Swiss or other brand) I keep a Manfrotto plate on both. The only thing that changes is the device where it is mounted...Movi or tripod :)

11. alain baars

alain baars Member

good to hear, thnx

12. Augusto Alves da Silva

Check if you want to upgrade your M10 baseplate first, also your pan axis tool less clamp. The baseplate om M5 could be adapted to an Arri baseplate standard...you´ll have to decide which is best for you.

13. alain baars

alain baars Member

why would I want to upgrade the baseplate, is that possible by the way?
    as a newbie: what exactly do you mean with 'pan axis tool less clamp?

14. Augusto Alves da Silva

15. Gorka Rotaeche

You are right Augusto about the M5´s baseplate. I saw the little plate of my M10 twist with the streght of the FF motor (Scorpio).
    How do you upgrade the baseplate?
    It is not in the store. You can not buy it apart.

16. Augusto Alves da Silva

I think they will sell the upgrade soon (I hope). But there are some Chinese sites where you can find those plates. With some DIY you´ll solve it

17. Arturo Bernardi

Augusto, will the m5 baseplate fits on the m10? tnx

18. Augusto Alves da Silva

I don´t know as they have now an upgraded cage to the M10. If they didn´t change anything to avoid cross platfrom conversions it would fit.

19. Kevin Winkler

Kevin Winkler New Member

Im very interested in how you achieved this I would be very grateful for any information. I really want to be able to have manfrotto mount on my movi then allowing me to switch between eliminating the movi plate.

20. Augusto Alves da Silva

Hi Kevin:

I will post a photo tomorrow ASAP.

Scott Montague likes this.