/dist/images/branding/favicon

My light bridge as arrived! Will it stand alone?

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Chris Newman, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Update: I hooked up my light-bridge on my Movi it flys fine and seems to operate fine but on the ground while the gimbal is turned on but in off mode it acts up. Occasionally it act as if the gimbal is trying to initialize. Again, it flew fine and seems to operate fine, but seems iffy.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris your description sounds like signal interference. If the MoVI/Spektrum setup loses radio contact the gimbal will default back to Majestic mode. If it happens momentarily then you get a bump. You might try adding a couple more Spektrum RX's with a Spektrum Diversity board so that most of the time there is line of sight to at least one RX. This has helped some operators when flying.

3. Chris Sallis

Chris Sallis New Member

Can the Lightbridge be used as a standalone HD video transmitter/receiver without also using it as aircraft control? I've heard from a few sources that it must be hooked up and configured to be used for aircraft control through the lightbridge in order to get the HD video link to successfullly/correctly work. Is that correct? I am also aware of the fact that the video is over 2.4GHz. If it can be used as a standalone unit I would switch to UHF for control.

4. James Cole

James Cole Member

Yes it can as long as your have a A2 or a Phantom flight controller to power the air unit and feed it OSD data, and your radio is either the DJI 5.8GHz Tx or a LRS system like Dragonlink or Immersion 433MHz systems and not 2.4GHz.

Remember you will need a android device or iOS to program light bridge even if you just want to get a HDMI feed out.

Instructions are on Page 24 for the Phantom, http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/lightbridge/en/Lightbridge_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf

5. Andrew Alden Miller

Andrew Alden Miller New Member

I was having a hell of a time getting Lightbridge installed into my P2 with a Futaba 8J, until found myself on this forum. I couldn't find anything written about that combo except James Cole mentioning his use of it here. James was nice enough to not only respond to my emails, but to give me a call late on a Friday evening. That helped demystify the process and fill in the blanks left by the literature.

I'll share a couple of the pitfalls I was having: Physical installation was a breeze, although I couldn't find whether or not I needed to keep the anti-interference board that comes with the H3D gimbal, as that was mounted where the air component of Lightbridge is to be mounted. I actually never got an answer, so I installed that AI board internally. All seems to be working well.

I was hung up on mapping my TX channels to the LB ground station, until James told me that the LB ground station needed to be physically connected to the PC via USB. That seems obvious now, but at the time I had everything connected and powered on, with the P2 connected to the PC, which seemed plausible enough, and anyway it isn't specified anywhere in any manuals. It took a little doing before the channels were properly mapped, between adjustments in the TX and in the Lightbridge Assistant software.

Finally everything seemed to be working, except that the video feed wasn't coming through, and in the app I wasn't seeing any telemetry (ironically except data suggesting only the video feed was solid!) After trying different cameras/cables, it seemed to me that the most likely problem was with the HDMI cable that was included (unfortunately I don't keep other micro-micro HDMI cables). When I finally swapped that out, the video feed came through, along with all the telemetry data.

Now we're flying boys! Thanks for your help James, I appreciate it.