/dist/images/branding/favicon

GH4 HDMI out for FPV

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Steve Maller, May 5, 2014.

1. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Ok so it won't work with his converter. I tried it with my FreeFly Converter and all of the frame rates and qualities work including 4k.

2. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

The 4K downconverted signal will not be recorded by the Atomos recorders. Panasonic has to update firmware. You will be able to display the signal on a SmallHD monitor or similar but not recordable on a Ninja/Blade/Star.

3. Miron Bogacki

Miron Bogacki Member

Why are you using converters from HDMI do cvbs ? GH4 has composite video out...it's simpler....

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Only for playback, not live view. It's useless.

5. Miron Bogacki

Miron Bogacki Member

Ok now I understand.... Steve could you show on the picture your converter ? As I understand it works in all resolutions with GH4.

6. Steve Maller

7. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

I have a strange problem with the GH4. I have a white box Mini HDMI2AV converter I bought from Quadrocopter. I can connect it to the GH4 and get an image on my SmallHD. The problem is, if I connect it to any of my VTX's I get nothing. It's almost like the camera needs a feedback signal to send HDMI. I tried turning the VTX on first but no joy. Has anyone got this to work through a VTX?

8. Steve Maller

Yes, it works for me.
    Please post a photo of your connections.
    Presumably you're not using an RCA-RCA cable for the vTX, right?
    I hard-wired a cable into the converter, terminating in a JST connector going to my vTX.

9. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

No I am using the RCA-RCA cable just to get it going. Would that make a difference?

10. Steve Maller

Are you providing power to the convertor? I have found it to be iffy as to whether the GH4 can power it through the HDMI cable. Some have had that work, others (like me) have to provide 5V to the converter. Maybe that's the issue.

11. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Tried with and w/o power but no success.

12. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

What frame rate and quality are you trying to view it at? With our white box converter it would not show 24 fps, now using the kopterworx converter and no issues and works great.

13. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

I have tried every possible setting but no luck. Going to give kopterworx a go.

14. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Finally have it working. Tried a different model VTX and bingo.

15. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi, I have a really strange problem with the GH4. When I power up the camera with the HDMI converter-cabel plugged in - nothing happening. The camera seems to be dead. no screen no light - nothing. But if I disconnect the HDMI cable, the camera powers up normally. Now, I can plug the HDMI-cable in and everything is working normal....?

I power the camera with a BEC and the converter is the one from kopterworx.

Any thoughts out there
    Bo

16. Steve Maller

Does the camera work with a regular HDMI cable plugged in to a monitor or something? Maybe the KW converter is dead.

And why are you powering the camera separately? My GH4 runs forever on its internal battery (literally several hours). Never would waste the cabling and power on external source, unlike GoPros and other cameras that definitely poop out when running non-stop.

17. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

The KW-converter is fine. It turned out to be the immersion TX that also powered the KW-c. That freaked the camera. I cut the power cables between the Tx and KW-c - and all is good.
    I try to stay under 7 kg. In that way I can fly under less restrict rules - that's why all the cable fiddling..

Thanks for your input :)

18. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

Steve,
    With your photo reference, your plugging the hdmi output of GH4 directly into the small HD monitor, and not going through any type of HD to SD converter, correct? I, like most here, am having issues with getting all the pieces working with each other. The GH4 is outputting from HDMI as it works with an HD monitor, cabled. I use an SD monitor in the field as I don't transmit in HD, so I have the Mini white boxes (one from QC, and three from Amazon) and they all have different results, which boggles my mind. I am using the Immersion 5.8 VTX and I have the ultra slim ribbon cables for micro HDMI to standard HDMI, but again, its a crapshoot with how to get it working. I do have a Kopterworx converter on the way, as I believe its got to be the HD to SD converter...? The fact the AV output doesn't have a live feed bums me out...thought I was going to be able to burn these little white boxes. Anyway, any input is appreciated, just want to know the gear thats required to get this working so I can have some confidence when I'm shooting that its not going to fail at any moment...

19. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

I am using the GH4 and set it to output 1080p. Then I connect the cable to one of those Kopterworx converters and the output to the immersion RC TX. Works like a charm. Records 4k or whatever I want it to and I have the feed on my screen via RF.

20. Bennett Cerf

Bennett Cerf New Member

I've had a similar issue with latency. I didn't notice it much until I had some very fast and precise shots to get on a motorcycle commercial. It was pretty disappointing because there was no time to run the aerial move more than a couple times. I haven't filmed the length of the latency, but it appears to be something like 3 - 6 frames lag. I don't disagree that for a cheap camera it does great things, but I think there's a market opening up for a cheap, lightweight camera that can do all the things that a copter needs. Perhaps a camera company can fulfill all these needs.