/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI on a Boat - Movi Dick on a boat of all places not working

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Steven Flynn, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Side note on the kill position: when doing a 13 hour day on a film set and down one battery, powering the Bartech with the other, i.e. just one FF battery to last the whole day: I made it happen with judicious use of the kill switch. As the operator reached for the rig I would flip it to majestic and as he let it go I would kill it. It was as if his touch was the touch of life!

Kyler Zee likes this.
  2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Absolutely Brett, I operate in the same way. Almost as though I am charged per Mah I use from the battery! ;)

3. Brad Seals

Brad Seals New Member

I tested the Movi on a camera boat (25' Zodiac) in SF bay last weekend and ran into the same problem. The rig would not come back online due to the chop. I'm glad I tested it myself rather than finding out on a gig like Stephan did.

Tabb, thanks for the update on "boat" mode. I think it is worthwhile.

4. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

Very stoked on boat mode when it comes. Will be very useful.

5. Andrew Griffiths

For extended battery life we just run a parallel cable and hotswap batteries without having to power down the Movi.

Looking forward to the boat mode Tabb. Any idea of when this will be released?

Ozkan Erden likes this.
  6. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Also for the DX8 controller, A huge upgrade for nearly nothing is to buy LIPO batteries for it. They last FOREVER and are super cheap. Then you wouldn't need to worry about having it turned on. Make sure you find one with JST and the 2s plug ( the white plug that plugs into the DX8 ). This one in the picture doesn't have it, but is easily modified ( what we did ). Most controllers come with old school batteries that die fast, and take AGES to charge.

Attached Files:

7. Fabien Deregel

Hi,

as far as i remember, before the Movi system "core" was a flight system that we flew on a regular basis, " S" arranged on request a Convergence delay to be able to power up and initialise the system so that all sensors / compass data have a delay to converge, and i could successfully fly the system after initializing it on a boat.. I initialized it successfully also in a Bus and an car in motion ( Initialise, Take off and landing while car / bus moving) As the Movi is the same system base turned for Gimbal usage, maybe it would be possible to have this convergence delay added, or simply have an option to skip gyro calibration at startup exactly like on Alexmos board... ? Just my 2 cents there..

8. Rob Drewett

Rob Drewett Member

Problem solved, cheers Freefly!

9. Erin Trout

Erin Trout New Member

Hey all

We had a similar problem while rigging the Movi to a zip line. Thought it was a wiring problem but nothing we did would get the rig up and running again. I came to the forum for ideas and came across this. Turning the Movi on while on solid ground and then either leaving it on or using the 'kill switch' while it was on the wire worked great. Basically substitute the motion of a boat for swinging on a zip line and the problem is the same.
    Thanks =)

10. Markus Mueller

Any News on this topic ?

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Markus:
    Are you aware of the Expert Menu, Motion Booting option? Or are you asking a different question?

Andy.

12. Markus Mueller

Hi Andy,
    Thanks for your reply. I actually wasn't aware of that one. Do I find it in the app, or on the new controller as well ?

Best Markus

13. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

You'll find it in the app.

14. Markus Mueller

Thank you Ozkan

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for responding Ozkan!
    Andy.

16. Alasdair Smith

Alasdair Smith New Member

Would the new "Sleep" mode in the latest firmware work for filming on a boat? Initialise on dry land, put it into sleep mode and transport on to boat still "curled up and sleeping". Not the operator! Or does any kind of motion kill the sleep mode? Haven't tried it yet.