/dist/images/branding/favicon

Balancing a Panasonic GH4 with a 12-35mm lens

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Jonathan Cohen, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Jonathan Cohen

Jonathan Cohen New Member

Hello,

Does anyone have recommended settings to correctly balance a Panasonic GH4 with a Lumix 2.8 OIS 12-35 mm lens?

My current tuning settings are:

Pan - 113
    Roll - 67
    Tilt - 21

Attached to my camera+lens is an Teffen Variable ND filter.

I'm getting pretty good smooth footage while walking. However, from the footage I've seen online, it isn't as smooth as others achieved while walking. I'm getting a slight tilt 'bounce' movement while walking. I've seen the balancing videos and managed to get my camera+lens perfectly balanced.

I've tried to update my firmware to 3.08 but haven't been successful (posted about that in another relevant post) and cannot use the autotune feature.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Zaid Al-Obaidi likes this.
  2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Walking with a MōVI is a skill all unto itself. Despite all its magic, it can't make you walk smoother. You have to do that yourself.

Dylan Law likes this.
  3. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Ski with the Movi - silky smooth in my experience! :)

Yah, as Steve says, you'll need to learn how to walk all over again. We all have an inherent bounce in our step, and no amount of Movi is going to get rid of that vertical rise and drop with every step.

4. Jonathan Cohen

Thanks for the tip guys.

As for tuning settings for the camera+lens. Any suggestions?

5. Derek Cooper

I don't have that lens, so my settings will vary. I have:

Voigtlander 17.5
    Voigtlander 42.5
    SLR Magic 12

6. Jonathan Cohen

What are the settings for your Voigtlander 17.5? I have that lens as well.

7. Derek Cooper

Nice.

I'll check in a bit - just flying the Movi M5 on my Cinestar X8 at the moment, so the balance points will be a bit different than handheld, but I'll check numbers after an auto-config.

8. Derek Cooper

Controller auto-tune with the Movi M5, GH4 w Voigtlander 17.5 (no filters) in the copter configuration (so not a perfect analog for you if handheld)

Tilt: 16
    Roll: 42
    Pan: 137

Hope this helps!

Why can't you upgrade the firmware? Was a pretty simple operation to perform here and the auto-tune is very nice.

9. Jonathan Cohen

I'm discussing the firmware upgrade problem on the following thread:
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...irmware-update-problem.4893/page-2#post-52518

I've also contacted Freefly support and even they are puzzled with the problem. In short, my Freefly app on my PC as well as my Android phone cannot update the firmware since the second the process begins, my bluetooth connection terminates and I cannot get a new connection until I reboot the Movi. Attempting to upgrade the firmware again results in the same failure. Apart from that, the bluetooth connection seems to be working fine as I'm able to configure the Movi to my parameters without a problem.

I really want the firmware upgrade, especially for the auto tune option. It's really annoying.

10. Derek Cooper

That is annoying. Good luck getting it resolved!

11. Zaid Al-Obaidi

Zaid Al-Obaidi New Member

Hi Jonathan, did you have to add any extra weight to the gimbal to achieve the values mentioned 113/67/21 ??
    Cheers

12. Jonathan Cohen

Funny thing is that while those settings worked for me before, I returned the settings to the factory/default settings and after that those settings became to severe for the gimbals, inducing oscillations. I therefore had to update my settings to the following:

Pan - 107
    Roll - 41
    Tilt - 15

Those settings are for the Lumix 2.8 12-35 mm with the addition of a Teffen ND filter + Heliopan rubber lens hood.

Zaid Al-Obaidi likes this.
  13. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

14. Steve Maller

FYI:
    1. I've never had to add weight to my GH3, GH4 or 5DM3 to balance them on the M5. They all can achieve 100% rock solid balance.
    2. I've used auto tune since the latest firmware update, and it's been perfect, and quite a bit off the recommended numbers. No idea why, but I'm not going to argue with success. :)

15. Zaid Al-Obaidi

Thanks Steve for the information, I have been trying different settings including UAV hardware modifications, I am slowly heading in the right direction and there has been a huge improvement.
    Auto tune give me hugly different values on the ground and if suspended, in some case, if I auto tune suspended and rest the uav on the ground the gimbal vibrates like mad, which then I disengage the motor,and engage in flight but the vibration returns. I have tried different settings and values.

The reason I asked about the weight is because I could NOT achieve the magic 20 in the tilt stiffness unless I added extra weight, which eats into flight time. Unfortunately I have run out of time for now and will have to re address the gimbal fine tuning in 5 weeks.
    Thanks for your comments.

16. Steve Maller

What's "magic" about '20'? There are no magic numbers. That's why you tune a gimbal.

17. Zaid Al-Obaidi

It was suggested that my stiffness value on tilt was not high enough and I need it to be 20 or higher, also I could do with adding extra weight to the gimbal, which helped a huge amount in achieving the values in the tilt of 20/21/22 and stability. But, still more tuning is required as the footage not consistent.