/dist/images/branding/favicon

CS8 to X8 conversion. Opinions? Tips?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Dan Coplan, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

Apologies if this has been brought up in another post, I just haven't seen it.

I have a standard flat CS8 and it flies great but I keep hearing positive reviews from people flying X8 configurations and am wondering if I should leave things as is or do the conversion.

1. Pros and cons of Flat 8 vs X8? I keep reading and hearing conflicting thoughts on this.

2. If I convert, what do I need to know? Do I need to change any components or I can keep everything and just change the way it's built? Obviously I'm going to need some way to mount the motors in a coax config. What about boom length and prop size?

I appreciate any advice regarding this. I use this for work so if I do the configuration I don't want to screw it up or waste too much time experimenting and be grounded with phone calls coming in for jobs.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

You'll need more power for the same copter because of the loss in efficiency. And you'll need to upgrade your boom clamps to aluminum. But if you're happy with your copter's performance, I'd question the wisdom of doing this.

3. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

I'm questioning the wisdom myself and trying to determine if it's worth doing. I'd be happy leaving well enough alone as it leaves time for other things but if there are clear advantages that justify the additional time and expense, I'm in.

Ok, so there's loss of efficiency but I understand that you gain some back by reducing the weight since you're losing half the booms. Though I imagine we're not really talking about a lot of weight. Also for transport, an X8 represents a more compact setup, right? That's relevant.

So what are the actual pros and cons? I've heard people say an X8 can carry weight longer than a Flat 8 but you're telling me it's less efficient. I'm not doubting you, just reading conflicting info everywhere I turn.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I have in depth threads for my X8 build, and a thread for flat 8 builds. I built a 2nd copter early this year to an X8 but I switched it back. I could not get enough power out of mine to fly a red and 25-26 pounds (with MK electronics) because the heaviest lift motors are not compatible with MK power boards as they are too much current. I also did not like the decreased flying time (about 4-5 minutes less). I also thought the copter would be more planted and the flat 8 but I really noticed only a small amount. I"m guessing its because of the consumer GPS. It was nice to have a little bit of a smaller foot print and slightly increased stability but to be honest I really don't fly in a lot of higher winds to see how much wind resistent it is.