/dist/images/branding/favicon

movi10 prices slashed by 50% ...M15 at $12,000

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Aaranyan Ramanujam, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

The thing I find really disappointing about this is the time frame for us early adopters to get the M15. Just two weeks and then you have to pay full whack. Given that we had all budgeted on 3k and now this has doubled, to only offer if for two weeks is hardly 'giving something back' to the early adopters. Where am I going to suddenly find an extra 3 grand from in two weeks? And if I cant I have to fork out another 12k to get the M15? Guess what, I wont be buying an M15.

Freefly needs to address its pricing model with inteligence. If they can sell an M10 originally for 12k and then still be profiting from it down at 6k what the hell is in the M15 to make it worth 12k. Forget it. Freefly should re-think this whole process through.

2. Corey Koniniec

Corey Koniniec New Member

I agree with you on the two week window. That is harsh for sure and maybe something they can do something about. I would suggest instead of everyone complaining on the forum you send in an email and ask if there is anyway as an early adopter to be able to be given a little extra time to come up with the cash to get an m15. You never know, doesn't hurt to ask.

3. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

Corey do you suggest we beg freefly to give us what we deserve and it is ours by right? It is the manufacturer obligation to be straight with the customers. We just paid ( I did) whatt they wanted so quite honestly their first M10 price was completely out of reality. It is not a point of making more or less money with it. I know people that make more money with a 5D than most of the rest with a RED or Alexa. Basically one job with a 5D paid the camera. What is the issue here is something being over priced and most interested people paid for it. Now the market gets the same exact quality with half the investement. Do you honestly think this is fair? To me 12 or 15k is a lot of money. I paid it and this is the treatment we get?

4. Corey Koniniec

Corey Koniniec New Member

I am not an expert on what it costs to manufacture and build these units but I know it is all done by hand. I am not asking you to beg just thought that if enough people wrote into them instead of complaining on forums that hopefully they would change their mind. Us as customers need to give as much feedback as possible. I am sure they Freefly guys don't have all day to read forums and see complaints. I just like the old school way of writing a letter or email and if enough people do it things can change. Sorry we don't see eye to eye. Yes the gimbal is expensive but honestly I made my money back on it in one month and it has keep me busy for almost a year and completely changed my life in filmmaking. I would have paid more if they wanted.

5. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

If I'm reading this right... ? if anyone who can get the M15 for $6k wants to sell me their M10 I will pay you $7k. There, you're up $1000. I don't see what all the bitching is about. Yes, it did kill your resale value compared to yesterday, but unless you were actually selling, then it doesn't really matter. If you're making money with it you might have more competition now, and not to be a jerk, but that is life.
    This is GREAT news for people that couldn't afford the m10.

Midhat Mujkic likes this.
  6. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

I have to say this is FUD. Honestly Id be happy to send my rig in for a few weeks to not have to spend 6K instead of 3K. I really think freefly needs to honor the 3K upgrade price as this is what they have been telling us since they announced the upgrade.

7. Augusto Alves da Silva

Tim read the previous posts. As someone said before there is something called business plan involving price, devaluation, profitability and most of all competition. I can tell you that when the market is flooded with Movis it doesn´t make sense to me to have one. Prices will drop and everybody will think they can be Movi operators. Not only that but clients will tend to think that a Movi=Movi which is not true. I have the Movi for a while and it was difficult to get in the market with it due to clones that cost 3k or less and claim to do the same. We know that it is not true but there are many people still choosing prices instead of actual proof of quality. And before they realize things aren´t like that WE Movi owners have lost a lot of work. Do you own a Movi?

Francois Regis likes this.
  8. Augusto Alves da Silva

Corey:

I totally agree with you about messaging Freefly however I never spoke to Freefly support on the phone (there isn´t one). The way I was raised a handshake or a word would be enough to become a deal that I would honour. Even the Chinese companies that I don´t want to mention have answered the phone when I called. It is very difficult to reach support unless it is a technical matter in which case they reply until it is solved. Otherwise no one answers your questions. They just refuse to discuss or negociate. They make the rules and that´s it.

9. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Yes, this does throw a monkey wrench into some people's business plan, but if you're business plan accounts for it, then you'll be fine. There are countless examples of the same thing happening with other gear in this industry, so it should be expected at some point. The RED Epic is not even close to the same price it was when it first came out, as one prime example.
    I don't own a Movi yet, but I will now!

10. Augusto Alves da Silva

See? This is what I meant. For you to get a Movi someone will split the work with you having paid double price. Imagine yourself in that position and you´ll understand. About RED they actually credited customers with the excess they paid in some cases....

11. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Deal! Honestly this is how I justified it. A quick sale and it's almost like a trade-in. I may seem like I "saved" $3k in not paying for an upgrade, but the price drop eats that up. In my mind, I have a better gimbal than I did a year ago, and the total depreciation is only $3k. That's honestly not bad.

I can see how it's frustrating for people who purchased more recently. I am sorry to those people, and I hope that FF can work something out with those individuals.

12. Austin Glass

By the way, anyone that is eligible for the M15 "Go BIG" price, and hasn't placed the order yet (unless of course they don't have the cash) is making a mistake.

Even if you want out, buy the $6k M15, and flip it and you can make up most of your M10's devaluation.

13. Martin McGuinness

Martin McGuinness New Member

>I am sure the Freefly guys don't have all day to read forums and see complaints<.

I imagine they are reading this thread with rising concern, as will most owners and future customers. Over 700 views already today, and another 180 on a similar thread in the M15 forum. The forum is a most effective tool for open customer communications. This is a mis-step in an otherwise flawless customer relationship. Easy to fix: Bring back the original offer for those who would prefer it. And don't bully your customers with the two weeks closing deadline. Many "early adaptors" ended up out of pocket on their $5k deposit for months without complaining.

14. Adolfo Cantu-Villarreal

Justin, on the official message sent from freely, they very plainly state:

"This offer and price is exclusive to you and only you and cannot be transferred or sold."

Flipping it as you say might not be allowed, at least not through the forum, if not through some kind of agreement or breach of terms when you upgrade; has anyone heard more on this specific part of the email?

15. PMF

PMF New Member

I am only an M5 owner (5 Month Old) and I feel this price slash as a slap to the face. I can't even imagine what it feels like to be an M10 owner.

I really hope they do the right thing here and offer a compromise for all their early adapters, it would truly be a shame to throw away all of us who have supported them to this point. Until then, I don't think I will ever support or recommend FF again - how could I.

16. Austin Glass

I think this means that you can't say "oh, my buddy is going to buy it instead of me."

After you've purchased it, it belongs to you, and what you do with it is entirely your business.

17. Martin McGuinness

Martin McGuinness New Member

18. Jacob Schwarz

Jacob Schwarz Member

for the recorded. Austin is correct MOVI is the real deal, beats out to competition hands down. It worth the pretty penny. but really at the end of day we all just want Freefly to justify it or explain the obstacles and reason for the change. I think we are all reasonable and would understand, but i think we all got hurt when we were told what was going without explanation.

19. Aliesha Staples

Aliesha Staples New Member

I have just had a response from freefly about my rig i purchased and have not even received yet. I have asked them if i can post it on here....i have to say my faith is restored and i will post the response once i hear back from freefly.

20. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I can understand the frustrations here but there are 2 sides to every coin. Let me preface this by saying in no way am I afffilated with Freefly nor am I defending them as they are capable of defending themselves. I have lots of Cinestar products and I love this forum but I have always have thought Freefly products were over priced ($20 for one metal clamp as an example). There's always 2 different ways to look at something. This is no different. As a small business owner I understand what a capital investment is. The decision whether or not to purchase a capital investment is usually determined by several factors including if you get your money's worth out of it over a period of 5 years. Everyone here that bought the MOVI when it first came out capitalized on the "brand" and recognition that it brought. You were able to offer a service that most of your competition couldn't. If you had a MOVI you made sure everyone in town knew about it which gave you a head start on everyone. If you did it correctly you were able to capitalize on that investment through a lot of business and revenue, business that you would have never had without it. You were also able to charge more money per job or per hour because clients were fascinated with the new technology.

Now the current market conditions and technology have brought down the price people are upset over that. It's like those that bought a Sony big screen HD TV back in 2003-2004. You paid more but you were able to enjoy the new technology when most poor saps couldn't afford it till about 2006 or later. To some that was worth the couple thousand extra dollars that someone in 2006 didn't have to spend. You can't be mad at Sony because Samsung started delivering a comparable product that brought the market price level down. Unless you planned on using the MOVI for a short term and reselling it inside the 5 year plan I don't understand how it should matter to anyone because your MOVI will be still be able to do jobs in another 3.5 years so your entire 5 year capital business investment won't be affected.

Let's also talk about the accounting end of this. Anyone able to purchase a MOVI M10 has been able to write off a huge depreciation on a $15,000 investment over a 5 year plan way more than someone that is now paying a lot less. Plus you have a 1.5 year head start on the technology and developing clients over someone like myself who is just now getting going. I would say all these factors combined makes your higher investment well worth it. I can understand why anyone who recently purchased a MOVI would be upset but that's what happens with fast moving technology, its a roll of the dice. Heck this happened to me when I bought the 3 axis radian gimbal last year and they announced the MOVI 3 months later. I think the aerial guys can appreciate what I am saying because the technology changes so fast with electronics, motors, and supporting parts that it is almost impossible to say that anything you plan on purchasing today will still be used even in 2 years.

As a small business owner, because I had to upgrade my entire aerial rig and expand it to multiple rigs, I was not able to afford the cost of the MOVI 10 or MOVI 5. I had to go find an alternative that does the same job as the MOVI for a lot less but it took me a long while to get there. It took me a lot of my time testing components till I got there. In fact I missed out on several months of the season because I had to test my home made equipment to make sure it was good enough for clients and met my standards. That gave my competition several months advantage of not having any competition in the area.

Just wanted to give a unique perspective from someone on the other side that couldn't and still can't afford the MOVI (even with the lower prices).

21. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

For those who just purchased a Movi in a month, I think will get/should get refund. I also purchased a Movi a few days ago.

The early adopters helped FreeFly to grow but it also made early adopters to grow + make money by charging premium with their gear.

How many Movi specialized companies out there? I'm sure a lot. They made business with the help of this gear. Yes, they invested $40K of equipment. The investment was high but since the technology was not wide spread, you could make money easier than now.

DJI slashed the price, Freefly slashed the price. Now the investment value is lower, and lots of people are buying and entering the business and lowering the rates. Hasn't this happened with the release of DJI S800 and ZenMuse gimbals for aerial companies?

Having a Movi was a business alone itself; but now it's widespread. I think most of the users are angry & mad because the business in their hands is now very common and the rates are getting low. But come on guys, these are just the tools; you have to complete your set up with your skills, with your imagination, with your alternate solutions.

An operator who can roller blade is a step forward than the others. An operator who offers Tero is a step forward. An operator who can offer a cable cam, a car mount, or a cinestar with great skills will be always a step forward. An operator who knows how to frame creative shots like a director, will still get jobs.

Businesses are about making progress and improving skills. Investment on the gear is the only small percentage of the whole picture. As I person who makes business, theses developments just pushes me to create some more attractive solutions to my customers. Once I have a long term relationship with my customer they will keep working with me even the new kid's on the block rate card is %30 lower than me.

Denis Gliksman likes this.