/dist/images/branding/favicon

Freefly tero

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Sam Fleishman, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

I took the tero to my local hobby shop to try and learn more about it. They said it's pretty massively upgraded. Especially the brushless motor. On 8s voltage it could easily go 100mph he said.

Sam Windell likes this.
  2. Sam Windell

Sam Windell Member

100mph?!? Holy moly. I'll take a raincheck on that one. 30-40 will be scary enough with ten's of thousands of dollars flying around...haha.

3. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Freefly supplies a 4s pack. So you can't get nearly that fast with 16.8 volts. You can also tune throttle and breaking on the esc

4. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

H
    Hi Sam. Any chance you could you measure the top chess plate for me?

5. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

Sam - what camera are you using? I believe the whole rig was build for the weight of an Epic (~15lbs for MoVI + camera) - it definitely seems that the higher weight helps dampening down the vibration and everything (up to a certain speed). I even added a 4lbs weight below the cheese plate at some point to help a bit with the center of gravity.

You can change the ESC settings, throttle curve and everything with Castle USB Link (http://www.castlecreations.com/products/castle_link.html) but I would recommend not changing anything as the car is already set-up to give you the best performance. Especially if you aren't familiar with RC cars and their ESC settings I wouldn't mess with it - it might put your car, MoVI and camera in some serious danger! ;)

The best tip that I could give you is to perfectly balance your MoVI and get the gains as high as you can - for a shoot a couple days ago I had the Epic up to PAN:200, ROLL: 100 and TILT: 100, which seemed to perform nicely.

Can you upload any of your footage?

Sam Windell likes this.
  6. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

Sam Windell likes this.
  7. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Has anyone figured out what to rent the Tero out for a day? And Tero with Movi rig?
    Figure maybe a rate for no Movi as some Movi owners may not want to buy Tero but rent it from someone?

8. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Guys, I have some questions:

* What's the capacity of the lipo provided?
    * What's the run time with the provided lipo?
    * What's range of the transmitter provided?

I'm purchasing one also and would like to learn these details before I get mine :)

Thanks.

9. David Burgess

David Burgess New Member

Hi Tim...
    I have just ordered a Tero and after reading your comments I am wondering if you would recommend this for slow dolly type moves...I shoot cars and often the car is stationary and then it needs to be a very smooth move...the M10 that I have when used hand held or on a steady cam always ends up with some bounce so I am hoping that this would be a good solution...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers
    David

10. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

The wheelie bar is going to add more vibration in some cases. I wouldn't recommend it. With the Tero, the car suspension is providing some of the dampening to the camera. The wheelie bar doesn't have any dampening and can thus translate some of the surface imperfections to the frame of the car. Not ideal but there is still another level of vibration isolation built in below the mounting plate. We shot the dog running with the Miro on a stone type brick walkway, wheelie bar contacting the surface... So that second level of isolation is really doing a good job. The only reason Tim added that bar was for maximum acceleration. Our other Tero on that shoot was setup with an Epic Dragon, no wheelie bar.

11. Charlie Cushing

Cheese Plate is 8" x 8".

For anyone interested the stock car that is the TERO is a HPI Racing Baja 5B Flux. Just got mine today, am testing with it right now. As far as the dolly shots go, it's noisy at low throttle, you'll hear the motor, it's a high pitched noise.

12. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Hey guys,
    So I wasnt able to come up with the cash to buy a tero, however I did find a company in Australia that has 3-4 baja's left with the castle creations mods already done to them. Paid around a grand for the car plus shipping to the states. I spoke to freefly to see if I could just purchase the cheese plate and vibration isolators but they wont sell them. So I will be building my own custom tero once the car gets here in a few weeks. Ill be sure to post lots of photos regarding the build process as well. Cant wait!

13. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Been doing some digging on wire vibration isolators and found this company that makes them. Fairly well priced too:
    http://www.isolator.com/sm_series_isolators.html

Wanted to know, does anyone know what size wire the tero isolators use? 1/16" or is it bigger?

14. Andre Roux

Andre Roux New Member

Hey Guys,

Been a Freefly early adopter since launch (M10, M5, Tero and waiting for M15 upgrade path) but for the life of me, I cannot find the info to charge the 5.5 Ah 14.8V 4S 20C battery that came with the Tero. I was hoping there would be some instructions or information regarding this on the Forums or site, but either I am looking in the wrong place or am just plain blind/dumb. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Drifting the Tero without any Movi or gear on it is quite fun (with the charge that was on the battery when it shipped)... hahah definitely not what it was made for though.

Cheers!

15. Charlie Cushing

16. Andre Roux

Andre Roux New Member

Thanks for the response Charlie.

Unfortunately I am not in the States (Cape Town), so this becomes a very expensive unforeseen problem. I have been very happy and impressed with everything Freefly has given me in return for my money (including paying nearly 15-20% of cost price on import duties with a weak Rand). I find the Movi so impressive not only because of its build but the way everything operates and was thought out, kudos Freefly!

However, I might not be able to source a local charger. This is going to further delay the use of a product I paid for nearly a month ago. (The package was stuck at FedEx for stupid reasons, ah the Joys of Customs...) I assumed no charger was included because no-one would buy a Tero without either having a Movi or buying one simultaneously. That being said, my conclusion held that the Tero battery would simply slot into the Movi charger. I guess not...

Before I start sounding like a sore spoiled child let me just ask Freefly to clarify these details to its customers. It took me nearly a day just to find out this information. (Thanks again Charlie.)

I guess I'll start looking locally for a charger.

17. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andre any local RC shop should have an appropriate charger. Hyperion and Graupner are international companies. There are other brands out there. Take the battery with you so that you get a charger of at least 10amps and the correct connectors to match the battery.

18. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Hi Andre ,

I use the Onyx 235 Single Unit Charger from DuraTrax. It has been great for me and in a rental environment. I also picked up another battery by Venom products. You will just need to modify the ends of your lead cables and you will be all set.

unnamed.jpg unnamed-1.jpg

19. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Can someone please confirm if this model is 4x4 or 4x2 thanks

20. Charlie Cushing

It's 4X2, stock tires are meant for pavement. I got different tires for anything on grass or gravel otherwise they slip.