/dist/images/branding/favicon

Peru UAV Travel warning !

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Chris Newman, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

So I came to Peru 5 months ago with my UAV. No issues. Came back again and customs said that a new law was past 3 weeks ago saying that "Drones" (Uav's with cameras) are not allowed into the country except with special permission from the government. They said they would hold onto my heli gear until I returned 6 days later! I pleaded, asked if anything could be done. Ended up showing my heli to another guy then he asked someone else and they decided to let me slide this time! Pheeewww!!

Just a heads up if you're planning a trip to Peru with your UAV!

2. Daniel garate

Daniel garate Member

next time someone comes to Peru with a drone,..... call me, i can rent you one...:)
    or call me, i know everybody in customs!
    www.helicamperu.com

3. James Rogers

James Rogers New Member

I'm heading down to Lima tomorrow morning from Canada and am on the fence if I should try bringing my Phantom 3 or leave it at home! I don't want to get it confiscated but If you're able to help out that would be great! Otherwise may need to source a phantom 3 pro for purchase in Peru..

4. Daniel garate

Daniel garate Member

hi, Customs people are not the same anymore, i don't have any more contacts inside .....
    they will keep your drone from you for 7 days approximately, thats the time it takes to get the permit from department of transportation..

im not sure who can source you a phantom 3 here,..... what i have is phantom 2v2.0 , Inspire 1, and cinestar 6 and 8 ....
    let me know if i can help

good luck

www.helicamperu.com
    www.danielgarate.com
    www.perudrone.com

5. Gilles Girard

Gilles Girard New Member

I searched for more than 5 hours and nothing simple ...

Daniel Garate mentionned "they will keep your drone from you for 7 days approximately, thats the time it takes to get the permit from department of transportation". Any leads how I could start this process ahead?

Found: NTC_Requisitos_para_las_Operaciones_de_RPAS_Rev27 @

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...4vWAe-pq1lOuCL-Ow&sig2=BpZ5FbodOquJuVGUsX5-MQ

And

Aprueban texto de la Norma Técnica Complementaria “Requisitos para las Operaciones de Sistemas de Aeronaves Pilotadas a Distancia” @

http://busquedas.elperuano.com.pe/n...ucion-directoral-no-501-2015-mtc12-1327461-1/

Aprueban texto de la Norma Técnica Complementaria “Requisitos para las Operaciones de Sistemas de Aeronaves Pilotadas a Distancia” - See more at: http://busquedas.elperuano.com.pe/n...01-2015-mtc12-1327461-1/#sthash.fE0xOino.dpuf

6. Stephanie Blount

Stephanie Blount New Member

I just returned from Peru. I arrived there on 3/13 and Customs wouldn't let my drone through. I fought with them saying I went to their customs website (http://www.sunat.gob.pe/) and there is nothing regarding bringing your drone to Peru. I had a letter from my airline (LAN) saying there was no problem with bringing my drone. I pleaded with them and no budge. They said they will hold on to my drone until I leave the country or if I obtain a permission from SUNAT. Luckily I have family in Peru to help me obtain this paperwork. It involved a long day of taking a taxi to the departamento de transito Peru – SUNAT. Filling out the paperwork and waiting 5 days to have it approved. Luckily I had a 2 week trip if not I wouldn’t have been able to use my drone in Peru. I will never bring my drone to Peru again. If you have family or friends in Peru, they can try to get this paperwork for you prior to you arriving but it’s really a hassle.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

8. Stephanie Blount

Stephanie Blount New Member

Done! :)

9. Mihai Dricu

Mihai Dricu New Member

Thank you Stephanie !

I plan on spending about one month in Peru next spring with my DJI drone. Do you know if one must be resident of Peru in order to file for the drone permit? It was not clear from your message whether friends and family would be helpful because of special eligibility for the permit.

All the best,
    Mihai !

10. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

I also will be in Peru later this year with an Alta 8. Any update on what is needed to get it through? I definitely can't wait 5 days for paperwork to go through once I'm there. Who do I need a letter from? Chris, Daniel, Stephanie, any recent info on this?

Jason Root likes this.
  11. Jason Root

Jason Root New Member

I am leaving for Peru on Aug 18th and was thinking of bringing my DJI 3 Pro! Would love to figure out if there's a way to get it through customs if there is any reasonable methods.

12. Lane Wooder

Lane Wooder New Member

I would recommend contacting the closest Peruvian consulate to your location and asking for their assistance. Whenever traveling with any camera equipment another consideration to make is if they will try to nail you for import taxes/fees. When I traveled to Peru in December 2013 (before the new regulations mentioned above) with my Cinestar 8 they tried to get me on this. Luckily I had a Press Visa from Peru and they could not charge me import fees. I got it by jumping through a lot of hoops with their consulate in Atlanta, GA (USA).

13. Matt Jarvis

Matt Jarvis New Member

I'm travelling to Peru in April 2017, but I am coming from Bolivia by bus. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've heard it 'may not' be checked at the border - however if I turn up at Lima after 1 month with an unregistered Phantom DJI Pro3, what can I expect when trying to leave the country? No doubt a whole load of hassle...

#13 Matt Jarvis, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  14. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

shouldn't be an issue now. They sell Phantoms in Lima these days.

We were there in September with a P3 pro and Inspire Pro and had no issues going in or out of the country. Let us know how it goes. We'll be back in spring or fall with Alta 8 and various other copters, it will be helpful to know how the conditions continue to change.

Cheers!

15. Matt Jarvis

Matt Jarvis New Member

Thanks Larkin that's great! What was your itinerary if I may ask, enter on bus from Bolivia and fly out of Lima? No questions asked, even at customs?

Sure I'll definitely report back :)

16. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

We flew into Lima, then took a domestic flight to Cusco and traveled via truck and horse and foot from there. Then reversed the process two weeks later flying out of Lima for the US again. During the domestic flight we shipped our Lipo batteries from Lima to Cusco, but on the way back we carried them. We did have a National Geographic, and University of Peru official support letter but at no time were we asked to present it.

Good luck Matt! It's an amazing country.

17. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

And be mindful and sensitive while flying there. It is not allowed in cities or over any cultural sites.

18. Matt Jarvis

Matt Jarvis New Member

Larkin thanks, this is really interesting and goes against lots of other experiences I have heard about from 2016 - I am amazed the drone wasn't confiscated or at least looked at from how stringent the security seems. The concern is that I easily get it over border at Bolivia/Peru, but then I don't have any form of license for flying it, and heaven forbid get fined at Lima just for having had it without a permit.

Yeah, totally agreed on your last point, people really don't want a drone buzzing around when they're trying to enjoy the scenery / culture. Definitely a thing to do away from people on my own. Thanks for your kind advice!

19. Pedro Pretell

Pedro Pretell New Member

Hey guys.. I'm from Lima and it's really a hit or miss with Sunat/Aduanas at the airport. Protocol is to confiscate the drone while you get the required permissions. It usually takes about 7 business days to get your drone. If you're lucky, the drone will pass through customs without any issues. At the moment, there is no license required to fly, just some common sense guidelines.

Let me know if you guys need anything.

20. Pedro Pretell

Pedro Pretell New Member

Hey Matt, i highly doubt you will have any issues when coming from bolivia by land. You won't have any issues in Lima or leaving the country.