/dist/images/branding/favicon

Klassen Slingshot

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ray Dumas C.S.C., Aug 8, 2014.

1. Ray Dumas C.S.C.

Ray Dumas C.S.C. New Member

I helped Walter design this new support system for the Movi and am available to answer questions. Small vinit.jpg

2. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Thanks for making yourself available to the community, Ray!

Cheers,

3. Andres Torres

Andres Torres New Member

Hi Ray, it's great to have your presence here on the MoVI forums. I've been very curious about the Slimgshot and have several questions.

First, will the Slingshot be available as a rental directly from walterklassen.com or through a rental house? Would that even make sense considering the fit of the vest needs to suit different sized operators?

4. Ray Dumas C.S.C.

Hi Andres,
    Walter doesn't rent but we are beginning to sell to rental houses around the world along with independent operators.
    So far i know there are units in
    France, Australia, Los Angeles and Southeast Asia. Where are you based from? Also , you can Contact Jen at for an up to date list of current rental houses carrying the Slingshot. My rental unit resides at Dazmo Camera in Toronto :

Brandon Cooper
    General Manager/Business Development
    Dazmo Camera
    Office - 416.234.5557
    Mobile - 416.768.0894
    bc@dazmocamera.tv
    In terms of Size, rental houses are picking up Walters medium sized Flex harness that fits the widest range of operators. Unless you are less than 120lbs or over 220lbs you should be able to adjust the vest comfortably.

Eric De Fino likes this.
  5. Peter Barta

Peter Barta Member

Hi Ray,

Firstly I'd like to applaud you and Walter for coming up with a solution to something everyone is trying to find a solution to when being a Movi Operator or should we call ourselves Gimbalists? My question is in your slingshot video it is evident there is some vibration from the bungee's on the slingshot do you think this is caused because of the length of the bungee stretching on the long arms of the slingshot? Or something else? I love the idea but to me that is an issue as well as the size that is part of the reason why I'm not convinced of the slingshot. I know this is Gen1 and a great idea but will you be further developing the idea to iron out the negatives?

6. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Hi Ray

I'm really interested in the slingshot, are there any in the uk ? Also if I was to buy one would I have to buy from the US as it adds a lot of import tax to the purchase so hoping to purchase within the uk
    All the best

Mark

7. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

How much are they selling for? Owner operator/non rental house.

8. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

From Walter's site:
    http://www.walterklassen.com/home-page/equipment-2/slingshot/

SlingShot only: US$4,900
    SlingShot and vest (SlingShot vest or Flex): US$7,900
    Clamps for telescopic poles: $125 (fits any 3/8-16 monopods or Klassen extension handles)
    Extension handles: $240
    Additional top bar for hooks: $175

9. Ray Dumas C.S.C.

10. Ray Dumas C.S.C.

Hi Peter, Thanks for your reply.
    The folks at Klassen have told me great things about you.

In answer to your question, The length and strength of the elastics on the slingshot arms have everything to do with how well the rig can absorb vertical motion in the Y axis while the operator is in motion. Just to clear up the terminology a little bit, as opposed to bungee's, the Sling shot uses Thera Band tubing which can stretch to several times it's length and is incredibly strong and resilient. They have been used for years now in the exercise industry and are well proven. Since the inception of the rig we found that it virtually eliminates the "vibration" you experience when handholding a camera. What you do often see is a low amplitude bounce that the elastic can introduce in reaction to your footsteps when you first start out. With practice and some clever balancing we are finding that this movement can be reduced greatly. Firstly, when using the slingshot to support your Gimble, you don't want to use to strong an elastic. The physical characteristics of the bands are such that they work at peak performance when they are stretched to the point where the tubular shape actually begins to flatten out. Secondly, you don't want the bands to take 100% of the weight. The way I balance is I ask myself what height is the most important or difficult part of the shot is going to be. If I'm doing a long backwards walk and talk that lives primarily just above the eyeline, I hook up the gimble, let it go (hands free supported by elastics) and I then use the arms and tensioners to level the gimble and set the height to around 10" below my desired height. By doing this, I need to lift my gimble 10 or so inches to my desired height but instead of weighing 20 lbs, is weighs between 1 and 2 lbs. Picture yourself walking around your home with a cup of coffee or tea full to the brim. You can do that subconsciously without spilling a drop. You are essentially a human steadicam! This is the image I put in my head when I walk with the slingshot and the results are immediately improved. (maybe we design put a hot beverage clamp for the Movi for practice!)
    That being said, I think the movi and other gimbles (with or without the slingshot) will always have some inherent up and down and side to side movement. I personally don't think that is a bad thing. The goal shouldn't be to get "steadicam" quality smoothness, just as the ultimate goal for steadicam is not to get dolly like perfection. I'm a Masters series steadi owner op for coming on 20 years and I'll be the first to say that gimbles are not a replacement for steadicam ,..... they are their own different animal and a brand new new addition to the visual Lexicon . The stedi is an amazing tool for its fluidity and subtlety when used properly. It has a very 3rd person, ghostly feel to it. The movi however feels completely 1rst person to me. In other words, it sees the world like I see...not jittery like handheld , and not linear like steady. The slight up and down and side to side create a slight shift in parrallax on the planes of depth creating a subliminal 3 d effect, and like my brain, the movi takes care of the horizon.
    My last point is, that like Steadicam (or any form of operating) there is a learning curve with the slingshot. Good news is that it seems to be quite a short one. I am amazed when I put people in it and watch them achieve shots it took me months to perfect on stedi.
    All said though,...I am still learning and improving every time I fly it.

We have just completed a "how to configure and balance" tutorial that shows the basics on how to get flying smoothly. For example: when I want to go really low, I set my bands to suspend the rig 10 or so inches HIGHER than my shot and use the extended handles pointing upwards. Now, when I walk or run I simply need to push down slightly on the rig and consciously absorb my footsteps while the elastics eliminate the vibration. It's like pushing down on a hovercraft and incredibly fun.

Hope some of this helped answer your concerns
    I will get Jen to send you a link to the vids.
    Looking forward to your feedback when you finally try one one and perhaps applying your ideas to the next gen.

Sincerely
    Ray Dumas

11. Andres Torres

Andres Torres New Member

I'm located outside of Philadelphia. I wouldn't consider buying the Slingshot until I experienced it firsthand. I'd love to rent it first and want to know where I can rent from. Also, will there be any demos in the NEast or NY in the near future. How can I contact Jen? Thanks.

12. Ray Dumas C.S.C.

I think it is a great idea to try it out first Andres. The closest rental to you at this time is in Toronto. You can contact Brandon at Dazmo Camera and he would be glad to ship it your way. The number there is 1(647) 430-3652. We are working towards setting up a rental network and providing an up to date contact list as we continue to ship rigs out.

13. Ray Dumas C.S.C.

Also, we are working to arrange a demo in conjunction with the freefly workshops in NY in the near future. It will happen shortly after Cinec in Germany.
    Contact Jen at 1-416-778-7848
    Klassen FX- Jennifer <jennifer@walterklassen.com>

She might be willing to send you a demo if there are any available.
    Tell her you talked to me.

14. Ray Dumas C.S.C.

15. Ray Dumas C.S.C.

Hi Mark
    New slingshots are going out every day. Sales are pretty much split between rental houses and individual owner/ops. They are Manufactured and sold from Toronto , Canada.
    To find out the nearest one to you , you can contact Jen at Klassen
    Klassen FX- Jennifer <jennifer@walterklassen.com>
    001 416 778-7848

16. Peter Barta

Peter Barta Member

17. Peter Barta

Peter Barta Member

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your reply there are a couple rigs in Sydney Australia which I will try out soon.

All the best,

Pete

18. JASPER GLAVANICS

Hi Peter, would you know which rental houses in Sydney, Australia hold the slingshot? I did a search but came up with nothing.

Cheers. J

19. Ray Dumas C.S.C.

Hi Jasper, Bens camera hire in Sydney carries the Slingshot

20. Ray Dumas C.S.C.