/dist/images/branding/favicon

Freefly tero

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Sam Fleishman, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

How many of you guys are getting a Tero?

2. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

I can think of a few shots that would be awesome to get with the Tero. What scares me is that it seems to be getting discontinued so parts availability is going to be iffy and parts on rc trucks and cars get broken and worn out much faster than that of our copters. Curious what others are thinking about this. I want one, but can't commit just yet with that being said.

3. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Ours arrived today...there are 2 version of this particular car. An electric and gas. They still sell the gas powered one and the electric runs off standard castle creation parts. We did a good bit of mod to ours already. Got rid of the cheap pistol grip radio and went with dx6. Had to get very creative to make this work, but now we have soo many options to adjust parameters while driving. Including 2 axis servo fpv cam. Head tracking coming soon. I called around to hobby shops all over the country and no one could figure how to do what I wanted to do. Figured it all out though. I couldn't be more excited. Drove it with the freefly battery that ships with it which is 4s 5500 mah. This thing can handle up to 8s but with a top heavy Mōvi 8s juice could be disastrous. I'm assuming that's why freefly suggest 4-6s. I have a few 6s 4000s laying around I'm going to use. I've only driven it once with no gimbal. Car alone from a hobby shop is 1200, but I'm super impressed with the mods to the car and ease of use. It's funny going from multirotor receivers with 9 channel receivers to RC car that only needs a servo lead for a brushless motor and a servo.

4. Tristan Twisselman

Any pictures you could share Sam? Would love to see more photos of the production model!

5. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

On the bench

Attached Files:

6. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

This thing is heavy!!!

7. Tristan Twisselman

yea i have seen 1/5 scale trucks in person and they are huge lol

8. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Very easy to take off cheese plate.

Attached Files:

9. Tristan Twisselman

10. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Tried to upload video but it won't let me.

11. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Photo from my pan tilt fpv camera. Fatshark goggles with head tracking tomorrow...will be like I'm in the car.

Attached Files:

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I've seen the Tero with a camera pop wheelies... Also smooth steering is important at higher speeds. On an RC transmitter playing with the Expo on the steering channel might help.

13. Sam Windell

Sam Windell Member

Why did Tim Sessler put a small training wheel on the back of his tero? Just curious. Mine will be arriving next Wednesday. What fpv camera did you go with Sam?

14. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

A guess to stop wheelies with rapid acceleration.

15. Sam Windell

Sam Windell Member

Curious where one would acquire that training wheel.

16. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

The Wheelie bar in the brooklyn aerials video was custom made.
    this one right here seems to be the best one I can find on the internet and its light weight.

http://www.davesmotors.com/CC-Racing-Carbon-Fiber-Wheelie-Bars-for-HPI-Baja-5b-5T.html

the fpv cam I am using is this one setup with head tracking
    http://www.fatshark.com/product/1745.html

These things are a totally different beast than the copters we are used to flying We had an m10 with gh4 on the Tero today for the first actual test run and even that made it super top heavy wanting to flip over front and flip back depending on how hard you break. Its going to be another learning curve like when you first got your hands on a multi rotor if you have no RC car experience. Plus this thing is a real hot rod. We ran 6s pack and should have stuck with the 4s included with the kit. The pistol grip controller it comes with is crap so I suggest finding another solution for a radio.

Our footage wasn't that stable this first time. Not sure if its the driving, the gimbal, or the vibe dampening on the car. we were on flat smooth concrete.

I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts.

17. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

For most shots you won't need the wheelie bar - but for my STREETS video I needed instant acceleration. With the ESC set to 100%, a full throttle acceleration the would just back flip the TERO - the wheelie bar fixes that and helped me get those shots without destroying expensive cameras ;)

Here is a link to the one I got - its pretty perfect. Its meant to face upward but I just flipped it around so that its constantly touching the ground:
    http://instagram.com/p/puGKqfBXti/
    http://instagram.com/p/puACmXhXha/

https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=7985

Good luck - and have fun with you Teros :)

18. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Thanks for your comments and pictures,
    Im unfamiliar with RC cars. How did you crank your esc to the max? Do you have any other tips for setting up the car? I felt like my first run at the footage wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped stability wise.

19. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

seem to get a lot of sway of the vibe dampeners

20. Sam Windell

Sam Windell Member

Sweet. Thanks a ton Tim! What type of controller are you rocking with your tero? Stock or something else?