/dist/images/branding/favicon

Dji Ronin?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Sam Fleishman, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Thijm le Grand

Ronin is 4.1kg
    The next version is going to be Carbon or Titanium

2. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

Hi all. I am a proud owner of a Movi 10 and today I got my Ronin as I needed to see how bad it was. I opened the box and my jaw dropped. Absolutely amazing built. The Finising, cabling, D-tap outlet, USB everythimg we would need on a gimbal. I reluctantly started to assemble it and very similar to the Movi but the only thing that needed to be tightened with a allen was the camera plate. The kit comes with follow focus rails, all kind of screws for every camera you might need to use, radio, stand absolutely well made everything is just perfect. The only thing I didn´t consider perfect were the thumb screws which are a little stiff and I thought they were tight but the baseplate kept sliding. After I balanced the camera I mounted the battery and in 5mns (5mns on a timer) the gimbal was running and tuned with the 1 button setup. Just fiddled around with speeds and everything and I thought I was going to be disappointed with the footage. On the contrary it was one of the best stabilized images I got with any gimbal. MAJOR FLAW WEIGHT. It is true nightmare. No way of filming with it and a RED without an easy rig. Apart from that I am soooo happy I bought it. I could say for the price I bought it...but no matter the price it is a fabulous gimbal. I fell in love with it for its simplicity of use and precision. Other features that I miss on my Movi and DJI has built them into the RONIN. I am sure that they have to be loosing money as my Movi carrying case cost half the price of the FULL RONIN Kit. Absolutely incredible. It is not going to be good for any of us. But I think freefly has to restructure the company a lot to compete with the Chinese competitors and stay competitive. I have 4 gimbals but now I don´t know why customers will want to pay the price they used to pay on my Movi. I was expecting to find a reason to bad mouth Ronin but I just have to applause. Very well done and let´s see what future brings.

3. DanDeSilva

DanDeSilva Member

Augusto, you seem like the perfect guy to ask comparison questions. Obviously the weight is a massive down fall - and in fact a deal-breaker for the majority of users except those who are doing jib / stedicam / remote head work perhaps. I love the fact I can hold my M10 for literally hours before putting it down to rest. When you say its heavy, can you go into more detail? I mean I would image a smaller camera package like C100 / Canon Photo Prime combo on the ronin would feel like an M10 with Red Epic / Cine 24 Prime and all the gear?

How is the software compared? Can you see any differences in tuning / real world stability? How long does a battery last compared?

Sorry for the 20 Q's.. Might be a good piece of kit for remote head work only I would imagine.

4. Augusto Alves da Silva

I haven´t tried carrying it for a whole day...The weight is 4.1kgs. A little too heavy. I don´t think it will be a problem with an easy rig or even with a steadicam arm. I have two steadicam arms and next week I will see how to mount it on the arm. The easy rig is how I usually work with the Movi when I have a long day of shooting. It is however much more robust than the Movi. It´s alloy and very well built. If folds flat down and it comes with velcro straps being that it doesn´t matter how the 3rd axis or any other are tuned the Ronin always fits the case in the same position. I spent 12 hours trying to find a defect that could be a glimpse of a reason for not using it but I couldn´t find it. I still don´t understand how they managed to sell the complete kit for $2900. You can buy 5 Ronin´s for the price of a Movi 10.

The software is amazing. My first time tuning it just had to grab my iphone and it was very straight forward. Took me 5 mns without even reading the manual. The auto calibrate works fine although I had to go manually to lower the tilt gain as it was shaking a bit. The briefcase mode is really handy and if you have experience with multi rotors and DJI controllers "the language" is absolutely the same. As soon as I went online with the gimbal it prompt me to update the firmware, I did it and presto...perfect. I don´t even see a contender on the horizon. I spent the last 2 years developing,building,tuning and filming with gimbals and this Ronin is like we brought the best features of every gimbal and put them all together in the same unit. One thing is certain the dry rental business of gimbals is finished. I had to lower my prices even not doing dry rentals. So the $15000 of the Movi are a little hard to justify. Anyway I still have mine which was one of the first ones, I was hoping that Freefly would take the "responsability" to upgrade a $15000 gimbal with the improved features of the cheaper M5 (not upgrading to M15) but I got a very clear NO from them. It is not fair after you spend $15000 on a M10 (pioneering something and at what cost!), they release the same thing but updated (M5) for $5000 and even being more user friendly tuning wise. I´ll keep the M10 but I will use the Ronin as much as I can. The only justification I have to charge more for the Movi is the name if anyone cares. American not Chinese :) .And trust me as you might imagine I didn´t want a cheaper gimbal on the market. I had my niche which is gone now :) If you have any doubts please don´t hesitate to ask.

Christina Yang likes this.
  5. Augusto Alves da Silva

Try the Ronin and write everything over. DOn´t let biased opinions fool you. :)

6. Augusto Alves da Silva

All those problems are due to people not knowing how to tune the gimbal. There is one tab "calibrate system" it will put the horizon perfectly straight.

7. DanDeSilva

DanDeSilva Member

Thanks Augusto, thanks for your info.. no doubt the price of this unit is truly amazing! With a case! Crazy! its super aggressive pricing and I wonder if they are making $ on it at all? I avoid using easy rig at all costs, it hinders the shots I want wayyy too much, I feel like it may as well use a stedicam instead - but thats the type of style and work I do. Im sure freefly are brewing something up to give movi guys the edge (more than just the low weight - even though thats a MASSIVE BENEFIT).

Do you know how good the battery life is? and if multiple batteries are available yet?
    Are you suggesting that the Ronin software / performance is evenly matched in comparison?

Love to see some of your footage too!

8. Augusto Alves da Silva

The battery left on the gimbal turned on kept it working for 5hours. The motor temperature was 35º. I will send you some footage as this is a freefly forum and don´t want to be excluded for posting it ;-). About the software comparing the functionality at this time the Ronin is absolutely even if not above. Yes there are spare batteries available. I don´t think they are making money with it...I think they just want to tease freefly and the other competitors...

9. DanDeSilva

DanDeSilva Member

Augusto, sounds like your in the 'honey-moon' period.. I don't discount what your sharing. But I need to see it to believe it, and let the dust settle with its test of time. Movi has been exceptional in every aspect, and so it should be. But I still have my doubts with Ronin and it seems as though people pass off the weight issue as 'easily overcome' and i can't put that into context in reality.

10. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

augsusto, I have a feeling that the Ronin is goign to preform really nicely on a a stedicam rig. Can u please set it up and show us?
    Low and High mode. Or is it possible to go from high to low with just one set up?

11. DanDeSilva

DanDeSilva Member

Seeing videos like this and reading the comments are the kind of things I'm concerned about..

12. Augusto Alves da Silva

Actually the autotune works fine. The values if you check them are ok. Just go to the axis which is vibrating and lower the gain. Usually is the tilt axis. I lowered it and after that it was ok. The tuning of the speed and acceleration is very very easy. I guess you still have to have some gimbal experience. It is not as plug n play as people would want it to be. He has to tighten everything more, namely the handlebar which is clicking and they clearly state the gimbal will vibrate. ALL the vibrations he is experiencing are due to slacky thumb screws. About the briefcase mode he has to choose if he wants briefcase or smoothtrack. If he checks the tab briefcase he has to only use it briefcase otherwise it will not work properly. I think this guy should read the manual.

13. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

I have tried both of them. I have a buddy who got his ronin and we have been flying them side by side for a few weeks now. My opinions are not biased or swayed in anyway as I can easily sell my movi and buy 4 ronins. Im still not impressed. Try putting hot wheels on your ronin or swapping from a crane to rc car, to dolly, to handheld to a copter and then back again in one day...then we can talk. ;)

14. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Thanks for the footage. Dunno, it looks smooth but I see a lot of unusable parts were you see the limits of the stabilization. My clients would not like some of it.

15. Augusto Alves da Silva

I have a M10 for a long time and I don´t intend to sell it. What I mean is that there isn´t a 12k difference in performance. And BTW I have been swapping the Ronin from crane to handheld with excellent results.

16. Augusto Alves da Silva

There is a company that makes Ronin attachements to steadicam arms, cheap and beautifuly built. cinemilled.com

17. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Sure. But IMHO I think it's pretty tasteless to post about the wonders of a competitors product on the forum of the competing company...but I guess that's just me.

Have fun with your Ronin

*steps off soapbox.

Wolf Schiebel likes this.
  18. Augusto Alves da Silva

Eric:

First of all this thread ( which wasn´t started by me ) is actually about the Ronin. Secondly it is not by ignoring or bad mouthing competitors that people and companies refine their products. And finally I am comparing two products which I bought (paid in full) like and use. It is exactly the purpose of my comments showing people what they can or can´t do with a competitor product...or do you prefer to live your life without knowing what´s around you and think you are the owner of the only best thing around? I don´t know about other people´s lives but I have (and love) to make movies to make my living and it is not irrelevant the ammount of money to do it or the performance of my equipment. I evolve everyday and so the products I use. Being a camera a gimbal a multirotor or any other piece of gear. Do you really think that DJI doesn´t own a Movi and vice versa? :)

Have a nice day

P.S. - Do you think I shouldn´t buy and like a Porsche or a Bentley because I am a Ferrari owner?

19. Peter Barta

Peter Barta Member

Hi Guys,

For all those Ronin Owners this might be of interest to you, good to see they are on the right track with accessories....

Check out www.cinemilled.com

I do Love my Freefly MOVi M10 & M5 would be great to see some more accessories coming directly from Freefly not third party vendors who take your money and don't deliver.

My two cents.

Pete

20. DanDeSilva

DanDeSilva Member

Augusto,

By the sounds of it, you are a lucky man.. (your ronin must have been made mid week, and not on a friday afternoon like most guys below)..
    Till now I still haven't seen a single Ronin user report that has Auto Tune works 100%. In fact DJI themselves advise against it.

Countless threads and videos popping up every few hours on issues from QC to motor failure to quirky bugs... Looks like those with heavy rigs are getting away with the autotune feature somewhat working..since the stiffness values are always in the 60's..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/704050339668403/permalink/726503607423076/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/704050339668403/permalink/720516451355125/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcj5VQLCwM8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RplWbyOHOUc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xyi1G1ixrs
    https://vimeo.com/104285719

Regards,

Dan