/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tilt/Roll/Pan Stiffness Settings

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Mike Gentilini Jr., Aug 6, 2014.

1. Mike Gentilini Jr.

We had the M5 really dialed in nicely with the older firmware (before 3.08).

Once we updated the firmware to 3.08, and with the autotune precent to 70% as recommended, we're starting to get some play and bounce in our footage.

We changed the stiffness settings on all 3 axis' from 8% to 16%. We did see some good improvements, but we weren't sure how high we should set those values, especially when flying in high wind.

Is there a stiffness value that's too high? We're lifting a GH4 with Rokinon lenses.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike, welcome to the forum.

If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

The short answer to your question re: stiffness value too high is, yes, but the MōVI will let you know by vibrating when you get to that point. Be sure to tune it for the exact way you're using it (e.g. double handed, single handed, suspended, attached to a copter).

Thanks

Andy

3. Mike Gentilini Jr.

Just to confirm Andy, you're saying 16% is too high? Again, I'm talking about the stiffness settings in the Expert section.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Mike:
    No, 16% is not too high if it's not oscillating.

You really want to get the stiffness numbers as high as you can without anything oscillating, then back it off until it doesn't oscillate. But you can sometimes fool yourself and think you've got it backed off far enough and then, in the middle of a shot, you'll get a little burst of oscillation. You can't miss it as you can feel it through the handles or see it on the video.

Andy.

5. Mike Gentilini Jr.

Andy,

My mistake on the labeling. Let's try this again.

We autotuned the camera and it came up with it's own values for "stiffness."

However, the Tilt/Roll/Pan "Hold Strength" settings in the expert mode has been defaulted to 8%. These are the values we changed to 16%, because at 8% we were still getting some bounce and swaying when flying on our octo. If we continue increasing these values to 50% or higher, Will it eventually create oscillating as well?

Thanks and sorry for the miscommunication.

-Mike

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ohhh.....now I see what you're saying. The hold strength is really "how much power gets sent to the motors and how responsive they'll be."
    I just checked, and after Autotune on the M5 I have, all three hold strengths are indeed 8%.
    The higher Hold Strength will make panning and tilting more rapid in Majestic and Remote mode, but I gather, for heavier cameras it might also result in "overshooting" -- too much movement.

I would just experiment with those settings -- nothing Really Bad is going to happen if you crank them up too high -- you just crank'em back.

Andy.

7. Mike Gentilini Jr.

Very good. Thanks Andy!

-Mike

8. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

It sounds to me like you want to up the autotune values. As I found out in another thread, the autotune #'s are going to give a solution that works but not necessarily ideal. It is quite likely you can raise all the numbers autotune fills out higher then what it gets. I know the #'s that work for me without vibration are much higher then what autotune comes up with.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've found that the Autotune is pretty good at getting the Stiffness values right. Are you finding otherwise Nicolas?

Andy.

Janne Hoglund likes this.
  10. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

I find it a useful helper but not the numbers I finally use.
    Autotune for the M5 at 70% gives me a rather good guide where the final figures should be ;-)

11. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Ive been just setting my auto tune to 75% and going with it, works great.

12. David Cooper

David Cooper Member

Do you try and increase the settings a bit higher after auto tuning or just use what the software gives you. I have been using the 70% as suggested and found ithe settings a bit low.

Janne Hoglund likes this.
  13. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

I never have. I've just been using what the software gives me for now