/dist/images/branding/favicon

Can M5 do a fake crane shot?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Frank Manno, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Frank Manno

Frank Manno New Member

Can the M5 do a fake crane shot?

The camera pointing straight ahead - I want to be able to hold the gimbal low to the ground and then raise it high above my head and in doing so the camera needs to stay pointing dead straight ahead and the pitch level the whole time.

Also - Other than Majestic mode, are there any other user selectable modes?

-Frank

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

In tilt lock mode the camera will stay pointing ahead and you can rotate the handle around it - not sure how many degrees rotation on the m5 but there would be enough to raise it from flat on the ground to inverted above your head (handles beneath camera)

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you have the the Spektrum remote control, Frank? If so, use the Remote Mode and don't tilt the camera.

Andy.

4. Frank Manno

Frank Manno New Member

Andy, No remote control.

In fact I don't have the Movi - I'm considering purchasing and am just asking some questions regarding shots I need it to do.

I won't be getting the spektrum remote since this is going to be a one man rig..

Is there a joystick on the Movi or any other way to do the modes that are done with the remote?

I saw in the online manual 'Smooth Lock' which sounds like it's exactly what I need.. Is there a way to enter smooth lock without using a remote?

----
    Smooth-Lock - In this mode, the tilt angle can be manipulated by the
    operator. The MōVI operator can manually point the camera at any tilt
    angle and the MōVI will maintain that tilt angle setting. This can be
    very useful for scenes where the tilt angle needs to remain constant
    even as the operator moves around

----

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Smooth lock will certainly do that -- you'd need to be in Majestic Mode first, tilt the camera to where you want it, then select Smooth-Lock.
    If you need the settings to survive across a power cycle/battery change of the MōVI then write the system settings out to the MōVI.
    With the Remote controller, you can change the selected tilt angle "on the fly" without having to use the Configurator app.

Andy.

6. Frank Manno

Frank Manno New Member

So there's no way to get into Smooth Lock without the Remote Control or without plugging it into a computer? I'm surprised that the Movi doesn't have buttons/joystick hard wired on board so that we can select modes or profiles. Would be a handy thing.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You could permanently leave it set into Smooth Lock mode and then just manually override the tilt angle by overpowering the tilt motor....

That's what I've done, but I'm not sure whether overriding the tilt motor is the "approved" thing to do. If it is, then great. If it's not, then remember you didn't hear it here first. :rolleyes:

btw: the link between the Configurator app is via Bluetooth. What many folks do is get a small, cheap, Android device and use that as their field controller -- which you'll need if you need to change cameras/lenses and use the Autotune.

Andy.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You might want to check out the MōVI Controller. http://blog.abelcine.com/2014/07/31/at-the-bench-freefly-systems-movi-controller/

Oh...sorry...just remembered you were talking single operator....never mind. :)
    Andy.

9. Frank Manno

Frank Manno New Member

Yeah single operator..

So there is an App I can run on an android device then? So basically can I just use this Gimbal in majestic mode and then turn on 'Smooth Lock' mode via bluetooth and the app? This would be what I need if it works well?

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Frank yes there is an Android App. Available on the main Freefly Systems webpage.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The Google Nexus 7 is a pretty popular choice -- but a word of caution, as I recall the app requires at least a 7" screen I think. Others will step in if I'm misinformed on this.

Andy.

12. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

As far as I know, in Smooth Lock, it is ok to point the camera manually in whatever direction you wish to have it face and it will maintain that direction (with in reason of any physical limitations) though don't quote me on it either. The remote makes it easier to switch between Majestic and "Smooth Lock" which would be the same as using the remote without touching the controls.

If you have not yet purchased and are considering, I would spend the extra 300$ to get the remote. It has several useful scenarios, even for single operator mode.

1. Being able to switch the modes on the fly. I keep the remote sitting somewhere near by and simply switch between the modes when needed.
    2. Remote pan tilt head. I have used this in multiple camera shoots in which I have the Movi mounted on a tripod upside down and use the Movi as a remote Pan Tilt head.

13. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I have the app working on my Galaxy Note 3. It is smaller than 7 inches.

Josh

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Cool, Josh! Thanks for letting us know. I'll update my brain with that factoid. :)
    Andy.

15. Matthew Chase

Matthew Chase New Member

I've used the app on my Galaxy S4, which is even smaller than the Note 3.

16. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Same here, app works great on Samsung Galaxy S4 phone.