/dist/images/branding/favicon

New MōVI Firmware

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Denise Fitzgerald, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Hi Andy, I am using firmware 3.01 and just downloaded the newest Configurator app ver. 1.552

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

3.08 is replacement firmware not an upgrade -- so go ahead and follow Mr. Maller's procedure.
    (EDIT: Which happens to be in the FF documentation, btw -- sorry, I realize that real geeks like me don't RTFM....) :rolleyes:

If you can, delete the "old" Configurator first, then install the new one -- and don't interrupt the writing of the firmware to the MōVI -- so be sure to have a freshly charged battery on the MōVI.

Andy.

3. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Thanks Andy. I will give it a whirl. I appreciate your help late at night!

4. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

All is good Andy! Thank you so much!

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

So that is why it's all black outside in the Big Room .....who knew, eh? :rolleyes:

Adam Brennan likes this.
  6. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

gotta ask one more question, when auto tuning, is it a good idea to hold the movi m10 rig? I notice if I have it on the stand and I hold it, it seems to oscillate when I hold it by the top handle? I remember reading something where holding it and tuning is different than on a stationary stand?

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Do not hold it. Your hands will dampen the oscillations. You want to be able to see the oscillations (or auto tune wants to see them), so it should be on the stand (or suspended from the ceiling, which is what I did). Plus, if you hold it, you can't click the buttons in the software, right?

8. Zaid Al-Obaidi

Zaid Al-Obaidi New Member

Same problem as above, battery 99% Bluetooth was NOT interrupted, the process was completed, powered off & On= dead gimbal with three green lights. This is not really good, it seems to be a hit and miss whether the update succeeds or fails.

9. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

It's not hit or miss. What are your stiffness settings?

10. Zaid Al-Obaidi

My post is referring to the update process - hit / miss, I couldn't tell you what my stiffness setting is as I cannot connect anymore as a result of the update.
    All I can say is that the gimbal was working perfectly until I updated the Firmware and now its dead..

11. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Any progress with the uppdate to 3.08?
    Stay away from it or uppgrade, whats the latest advice?

12. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The instructions AFAIK do not tell you to do this. When I did it (successfully), the update process seemed to take a while for the MōVI to respond after my Mac said it was done. I think that may be because the Mac does the upload, but the MōVI has a lot of work to do afterwards. And I wonder if you killed it when you powered it off and on. Like, do you know the update was complete?

My MōVI just "sat there" for at least 1-2 minutes before it was visible on Bluetooth again. The app then reconnected and it worked perfectly. I did not cycle the power.

13. Zaid Al-Obaidi

Valid Point Steve.

14. William Bartlett

William Bartlett New Member

I received the jumper cable and my M5 is now functioning again. It seems to boot up about twice as fast now which is nice. Haven't tried the auto tune function yet, but I think that will definitely come in handy.

There was one issue though - While on set yesterday, connected a fully charged battery, balanced and then turned the M5 on (while on the stand) and about 5 seconds later it freaked out and started spinning like crazy on every axis... I quickly grabbed the frame to stop the movement so that I could turn the unit off. My first thought was a bad battery, so I swapped batteries and turned it on. It worked perfect for the rest of the night on the second battery.. So I have no clue really what caused it, like I said, my guess is the battery, but maybe it's the firmware.. The sensor cable that goes into the cage seems to have wrapped around a couple times when the M5 was out of control spinning. No damage was done, just the cable seems to be wrapped up a bit and pulled a bit.. Hoping it doesn't happen again because I think the next time it might rip the cable or tangle it further which will probably cause damage.. It only happened at the beginning of the shoot once, then I powered off and on the M5 over 10 times without issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any idea as to why it happened? Is it the battery? Or the firmware?

Thanks,

William

15. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

All a bit stressful really, all of these firmware update problems.

With the deadline looming, we can't follow our usual practice and update firmware late. (once it has been proven).

I really hope that it goes well, being here outside of USA there is no way that the 'number cable' would make it here before our next shoot if something goes wrong.

Hopefully Freefly makes some changes to this process, because reading here, there are far too many updates going bad.

16. Sam Windell

Sam Windell Member

Mine went perfectly fine. Using the Samsung tablet (android os) Updated the configurator, pulled the bin file straight into the Freefly --> firmware folder on the tablet and smooth sailing from there. Autotune seems to be working great as well.

17. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Is there any place in Europe where we maybe can get hold of this ¨jumper cable ¨ in advance...if the uppgrade goes wrong??

18. Ben Ruffell

Well. We just did the update. The movi has frozen. The software is not responding.

There is no support number to call.

We have shoots coming up at the end of the week in New Zealand.

A solution is kinda critical right now.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ben:
    In the hope that I can get you through this:
    1. Did you update the Configurator app? (Can you check which version your are running, please?)
    2. When you say that the MōVI has frozen, do you mean it has gone limp, or it is locked rigidly in place?
    3. Are you able to communicate with the MōVI using the Configurator app?

Andy.

20. Ben Ruffell

Mac Configurator App version 1.552

Apple beach ball started spinning, after 15 minutes of waiting, nothing, then app says it's not responding.

Movi had all settings at zero, before the update was begun.

Flick movi on, 3 lights on for half a second, then nothing.

Batteries were all charged and checked etc...

Pretty much the worst firmware update procedure I have ever seen. Why is there not a cable included with the Movi. This is totally unacceptable for a professional piece of kit.

Please, send us the details of the cable and I will see if my engineer can make one up. Because, I am certain that the fedex cable will not make it here in time for the shoot.

Total debacle.