/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tilt servo not leveling

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Jim Swanson, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

I had this same problem a month ago with the roll servo no leveling. The Tilt servo always had the same problem but was still usable so I let it be. I fixed the roll in the software by choosing a Pan default, read, write, etc and then going 'back' to the roll default. That worked like a charm and I was able to get level again.

This trick is not working with the Tilt setup. The Radian keeps going exactly 10% nose down...no matter what I do, including upgrading to the latest firmware.

I've added a new Freefly servo to the Tilt and would like to get this thing straighened out now.

Any new ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jim:
    Hmmm. When you see this 10% nose down, what mode are you in? Stabilized or Stabilized Slew? My 3-Axis gimbal points the camera plate roughly 10% down in Stabilized. I just thought it was a feature....but you raise a good question.

Now that I think about it, I wonder where it should have the tilt axis in Stabilized? What's your preference?

Andy.

3. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

As soon as I flip the switch to stabilized or stabilize slew the servo and radian move 10 degrees nose down. My camera plate is angled down as well to avoid shooting the boom.
    My preference is to have everything start level.

jim

4. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Here is a video of the challenge.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Excellent video, Jim. Let me see if I can get JohnC to have a look at the video and comment.
    He's on GMT right now, so it's a bit late in the day.

Thanks
    Andy.

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jim, The tilt default is programmed to default to 10 degree down angle. You can offset the mounting of the Radian or wait for an upcoming firmware release which will make this angle user defineable.

Cheers,

Tabb

7. John Cunningham

Hey Jim,

The 10 degrees nose-down is the default angle for the tilt axis. It was chosen because it gives a better view of the ground when you are flying around in fixed-position mode. If it is level, you see half sky which also makes the ground go dark.

Like Tabb says, the next firmware will be released very soon and allows you to set the max/min angles as well as your won default angle.

JohnC

8. André Cousin

André Cousin New Member

As I can see, it's easy to get the tilt level at start up.
    With the Software connected, make very small movement down on your stick and you will see the "Current Angle Demand" decreasing. Put your stick to neutral as you reach 0°. Disconnect software, power off then on and you will see it is level.

From my point of view, for the slew, Radian don't make the best:
    1° The angle at power on will be the angle you left at power down.
    2° For a stick deplacement, you don't get a fixed slew, you get a slew UNTIL you come back with the command.

I think these two things could be changed with a new soft to be more convenient!
    Effectively, it could be more interesting to get a precise angle when a give a slew command; not a moving slew as now.

9. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Thanks all that responded.
    I was going crazy thinking it had to be level...knowing I could adjust the camera plate 10 degrees down.
    Look forward to the firmware update.

jim