/dist/images/branding/favicon

New MōVI Firmware

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Denise Fitzgerald, Jul 15, 2014.

1. DanDeSilva

DanDeSilva Member

Can those with the issues upgrading confirm there has been a resolution? Is the movi going limp just a matter of retuning or is it dead?

2. Jonathan Saruk

Jonathan Saruk New Member

I have been in touch with support and it appears that the error I experienced while updating the new firmware occurred possibly because of an interrupted bluetooth connection or a low battery. The Movi is now "bricked" and needs to be restarted via a "jumper" cable that must be sent from Freefly. Note that I was never able to restart the Movi after attempting to install the new firmware, so my issue may differ from what others are experiencing.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

So just to be clear, there's a new Configurator, too, right?
    Do we use that one to update the firmware, or the existing one?

4. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

You can update with either one Steve, you will just get a comms revision error if you try to connect to the new firmware using the old Configurator. So either way you will need the latest software. The Configurator is backwards compatible however, so newer software can always connect to older firmware.

5. Steve Maller

Thank you, Brad.
    I'm a little skittish with the reports here of folks having bricked their MōVIs.
    But it sounds like a very worthwhile update, so I want to play! :)

6. William Bartlett

William Bartlett New Member

I am having the same problem as you, the Movi would not restart after installing the new firmware. I am really hoping that they do not need to send me a cable..

I connected the Movi to the software via bluetooth on my Macbook Pro. I updated the firmware, then the issue happened where the software would freeze. I powered down the Movi, started it up again and it wouldn't connect via bluetooth. I realized I upgraded using the older software so I deleted the old software, installed the new. When the Movi turns on now, it flashes all 3 lights, then nothing happens.. I start the new software and hit connect. but it doesn't connect properly. It tells me it is connected, but not responding..

My battery was full when I did everything. I've tried restarting my computer and upgrading the firmware again. The Movi was getting hot so I let it cool down for 15 minutes and tried again, still nothing. Flashes for a second and then stays dead.

What is the issue!?? My Movi was working perfectly before this attempted firmware update..

Anyone figure out a solution?

Thank you

7. David J. Crewe

David J. Crewe New Member

I'm having the same problem. DO NOT UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE to 3.08! this is not good :(

8. Hi Everyone...Clearly this has been a frustrating experience and we are working on providing assistance. A couple of items of note are:
    • In the majority of the reported "brick" scenarios, the MoVI lost power during the firmware upgrade (either because someone accidentally shut it off or the battery was low to begin with and died during the process, there was a loss of bluetooth connection to the laptop/device, etc..). While we appreciate the need for more robust behavior in a scenario like this, it can be avoided by monitoring the upgrade and making sure the battery is fully powered before you start.
    • The GUI app needs to be current as well.
    • Please contact support@freeflysystems.com if you encounter an issue, to save time, please let us know if the connection was interrupted during your firmware upgrade and the exact symptoms you are seeing (ie; lights flash and then system goes dark, powering but not stabilizing, error messages, etc..). This will help us to diagnose the cause and identify a solution quickly.
    We appreciation everyone's patience and will share any additional information that might be helpful as we receive more information from you.
    Best Regards,
    Denise

9. Matthew Macomber

Matthew Macomber New Member

For what it's worth, the upgrade went fine for me. Downloaded and installed the latest version of the Freefly Configurator to my Mac, then proceeded to upgrade the firmware. It almost sounds like the people having issues did not install the latest Configurator before attempting to update firmware (although it's not supposed to matter).

10. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

It worked for me and I did not upgrade the Configurator first (I forgot). The gimbal would not show up in the configurator until I upgraded the app. I made sure my laptop and gimbal had full battery life and it worked great.

Chris Harrison likes this.
  11. Jason Ye

Jason Ye New Member

Hi there, same thing happened for me; full battery but firmware update was interrupted supposedly and flashing of firmware failed.

Afterwards my M10 stopped working and seems to be bricked. Any way we can reboot the firmware ourselves without shipping in any jumper cables from freefly? (We're not in the US).

Thanks!

12. William Bartlett

William Bartlett New Member

They are sending me a jumper cable.. My M5 has "bricked".

There is a microSD slot, wondering if this can be used somehow to upgrade instead of using the jumper cable?

I was surprised to find out there is no usb port on the rig for connecting directly..

Sounds like anyone who's gimbal is not working will need a jumper cable shipped to them..

13. Jason Ye

Jason Ye New Member

Thanks William for sharing your experience.

Does anyone has the part number or a picture of the jumper cable?

If it is not a proprietary cable then I can try and purchase it myself.

14. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

So for the Autotune feature do you just set the 50 or 75% and it's done, or do you need to do some kind of a calibration?

15. Matthew Macomber

Matthew Macomber New Member

You set it to the desired percentage and then go to system > autotune and let it run.

16. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Perfect, thanks!

17. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I have not upgraded my firmware for the last two updates due to worrying about bricking the Movi. I really like the new features of the 3.08 but afraid of killing the movi for a shoot I have. Since I did not update to 3.07 do I need to update to that first before I update to 3.08? Or can I just update to 3.08? If battery is full and bluetooth good, then I should be good to upgrade? Or have many done this and having issues?

18. Steve Maller

Mine went smoothly, just like advertised. No issues at all.

19. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

can I update to the 3.08 without updating to 3.07? Also I heard something about backing up? Can someone explain? Thanks.

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member