/dist/images/branding/favicon

Redrock Follow Focus on M5

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Chance Norris, May 2, 2014.

1. Chance Norris

Chance Norris New Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm about to order a Redrock Micro Remote handheld bundle and wanted to make sure I'm ordering everything needed to mount to the M5. I'm assuming the FF motor will be best mounted to the Freefly rods attached to the front of the base plate. Where and how does the base station attach to Movi? Also does anyone have images of this setup?

Thanks,
    Chance Norris

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

3. Mike Vickers

Mike Vickers New Member

4. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I am having a little confusion with powering the Redrock Micro remote system´s base station. We have purchased the Motor cable for Micro Remote from Slackline. This enables us to mount the base station into our Movi M10´s accessory mount next to the handgrip.

It would be ideal to power the base station via Movi´s 4s lipo battery. For this we purchased this Freefly battery to 2-pin Lemo wire from Freefly shop:

http://store.freeflysystems.com/collections/movi-accessory/products/freefly-battery-to-2-pin-lemo

According to Freefly it is suitable for powering the Micro remote´s base station.

But:

The base station´s power in has six little holes and the original Micro remote´s power cable has six pins accordingly.
    However the Freefly wire comes with two pins only and neither of them matches any holes in the base station power in connector.

We have two base stations and before noticing above, we managed to burn one base station by trying to power it with the Freely cable. At least it remains dark even when powered with the original power cable.

Is the Freefly cable´s Lemo end really the correct one and if not, where I could get one? Or rather which of the many Lemos is the right one?

I would like to make cable that powers the base station via Movi battery´s balance plug connector which should be easy once I get a working cable with a jst at the other end or just the Lemo connector.

Pictures below should make it all clear.

Attached Files:

5. Matthew Macomber

Matthew Macomber New Member

Dang I just ordered all this stuff myself and hope you get an answer cause it indeed looks like the Freefly 2-pin lemo will not fit the Redrock basestation...

6. Austin Glass

So I can't be certain, but I am fairly certain that the issue is that Tuukka has one of the early Basestations. I think they switched to the 2-pin lemo style early on. A new purchase should give you one of the 2-pins.

Tuukka, have you reached out to Redrock about it?

7. Matthew Macomber

Thanks for the insight Austin. I'll have my microRemote bundle in tomorrow and will report back with what my basestation has for pin arrangement.

Hey did the cable I ordered ship out by chance?

8. Austin Glass

Yes, it went out this morning. You should have an email with tracking info somewhere, maybe in your junk folder. If you can't find it, I'll send the tracking in a separate email.

9. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Once receiving the unit, please tell if it really is about me having an early version with different Lemo Matthew. The strange thing is, I have two of the base stations and the latter is purchased much later than the first one.

Austin: Haven't asked Rerock but will now.

Thanks,
    Tuukka

10. Matthew Macomber

Thanks Austin! The email was in my spam folder like you suspected.

11. Matthew Macomber

And we have our answer. The basestation I received today does in fact has the 2-pin connector.

photo.jpg

Austin Glass likes this.
  12. Austin Glass

That's good to hear, Matt.

And Tuukka, when and if you find out anything from Redrock, please remember to report back here, as I am curious what the deal is.

13. Ari Kauppila

Ari Kauppila New Member

This is related to Tuukka's question:

I found this in the manual:
    ( http://store.redrockmicro.com/start/assembly_docs/microRemote/microRemote_System_Doc.pdf )

*As of February 2013 all remote system units ship with 2 pin power connectors. If you received your unit
    before then, it may contain 6 pin power connectors. Please contact customer support if you require
    replacement cables.

I own two Redrock systems and both are purchased before February 2013.

14. Walter Brokx

Walter Brokx New Member

I'm curious:
    what is the weight of the basestation?
    (Dimentions would also be nice.)
    The Redrock Micro website is quick messy and lacks info on the physical part...
    I'm doing calculations for a setup on M5, so I'm comparing things closely to see whether it will fit in the payload and in dimensions.

15. Chance Norris

Chance Norris New Member

Hi Walter,

The basestation usually mounts to the handle bar which doesn't count towards the 5 pound limit. Depending on the lenses and camera you might need something other than the Freefly rail mount to mount the motor. With my GH4, Metabones Speed-booster and CP.2 lenses the adapter has some play, so I'm locking it down with Zacuto DSLR baseplate and the CP.2 lens support with feet pretty solid. With my Nikon D800 you can use the Redrock Rino adapter to support the motor. Both configurations require to take off the top rail of the cage.

I think this motor works better with lighter lenses!

See weights below

Torque Motor - 5 3/4oz
    Motor Cable - 2 3/8oz
    Single 6" Rail - 1oz
    microLensGear - 1oz
    microRemote Basestation – 5 1/2 oz.

Chance Norris