/dist/images/branding/favicon

Which electronics are you using [poll]

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Tyler Olson, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Which Controller are you Using?

1. Mikrokopter

54.8%
  2. DJI

35.5%
  3. Other

9.7%
  1. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

I thought it would be interesting to see a poll of which electronics people are using. I think about their main copter here. Many people have a large, medium, perhaps a couple small play copters. But what I'm curious about is the largest one - the one you have the most invested in.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

2x MK stacks, one Flat 8 4S and one X8 6S (new hardware).

3. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

4. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

SuperX, its working but not perfect, lacks the tuning needed for heavy machines.

5. Michael comissiong

Most money invested in mk,
    but fly dji more
    mk always wants tuning a pain , but too many $ invested to abandon at this point

Jason Herring likes this.
  6. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

How heavy Ryan?

I'm getting good results at with AUW around 13kg/28lbs

7. Zubeyir Mentese

Zubeyir Mentese New Member

Hi Ryan,

Could you elaborate a little bit more about the specific tuning issues you encountered?

8. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Did you ever get your SuperX tuned? I can't get mine tuned for the life of me!

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris I had my flat 8 at 1.0 for all setting except height which was an .9. Had the fine tuning on a rotary and dialed that down 30-40%.

10. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

I couldn't get the gain high enough for it to be stable and controllable, with out it shaking, (as if the gain was way to high).

Nope never managed it, i did a lot of changed to my machines set up such as making sure the motors were 99.9% perfectly aligned and also lowered the super x to get it in the center of the copters CG. They helped a little.
    It worked great in little to no wind, but it just started shaking when moving fast or when windy.

Super X support did suggest I raise the altitude gain up to 1.5 -1.7, but i didn't do it because i pulled the Super X off and put a MK 2.5 board on. Super X did some weird things before i pulled it off, just as a random uncommanded motor spool up, when it was disarmed! Also flipped on take off as if the sensor was mounted upside down.

Today was my second day with MK, I have flown just over an hour with it now, managed to get it tuned in a bit. Its feeling better than super x so far, But i haven't tested in much wind yet.

Are you using it on a X8 Chris?

11. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

From what I've heard Super X is amazing on flat set ups or even small X8s, but just doesn't work on large X8s.

12. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Yes, it is an octo x 34lbs Auw. I think Chris fox might fly an octo x same setup as mine Auw 28lbs? I'm going to be flying a red carbon fiber dragon for a week in Hawaii . Failure is not an option! I was hoping for better results!

13. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Whoops forgot about Chris. Your right he does. Hopefully he`ll chime in and help with your tuning.

14. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Guys, I just use the settings that Gary recommended and have the gain on a slider on the tx as well, as the weight increases I wind up the gain, and as the weight decreases I wind it down a little .....

Flew last week with 5kg of batteries on top and 7.2kg of weight suspended from the copter, for an AUW of 17.4kg and getting good results.

15. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Hey Chris, did you ever get the SuperX tuned for your X8? I want to switch away from the A2 and SuperX looks good for some, but I also fly a heavy X8, so wondering if it will work for me.

16. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Brian,

Yep super x is working just fine for me, very happy with it.

All up weight during test flights 38lbs actual weight when on set is about 35lbs.

Cheers

17. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

I never could get it tuned! Didn't like the way it felt. I've read a lot online that the heavy lifter octox configurations don't work well on the system. I've had issues with a2 as well....

18. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

G'day Chris. Is that SuperX working on X8 or flat octo? IF X8, what's the secret, as others seem to have had difficulty with that configuration and SuperX.

Thanks!
    Bryan

19. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

I gave up on the superx on octox configuration.

20. Graydon Tranquilla

I've been flying DJI systems for a couple of years starting with the NAZA then moving up to the WKM then the A2..... All worked fine for me so far but the reports of crashes has spooked me. So next I will try an XAircraft SuperX.

And if the Hong Kong situation continues in the wrong direction, I will move away from Asian products and go for the German Mikrokopter.