/dist/images/branding/favicon

Best power options for Red epic

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Dave Ketelhut, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

Hello!

we just got our Red epic a couple weeks ago and we have been trying to play with some different power configurations. so far the red side handle setup is a tad heavy and the battery does not last that long. we ran a 4s 2200 mah lipo and run time was not much different but was much lighter. with the 4s pack im powering the red, teradek bolt pro 2000 and the Heden fallow focus. we were looking at running a carbon Vlock adapter plate with a lighter pack. is the vlock adapter setup a good way to go? my only convern would be the added weight but as of right now changing packs out as often as we are now is a bummer? has anyone tried all of these setups and have found the best option?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Arturo Bernardi

Hi Dave
    For me the v-lock adapter with an idx 65w battery has been the best solution. It lasts definitely more than a redvolt, and you don't need to do many changes better cause often, with the side handle, i had to slide the camera to open the side handle battery place.
    So for me that has been the choice.
    Cheers
    Arturo

3. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

No to mention (further to Arturo's post) you can get the dual DTap version and power your transmit and follow focus from the one battery. It runs down in 35~ minutes but you never get caught out of sync with multiple batteries.

4. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

i assume you mean the 68wh battery not 65wh?
    thank you for the reply too, i think this is the route we need to go!

http://store.freeflysystems.com/collections/movi-accessory/products/idx-e-7s-battery ?

5. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

i really like that option to run the rest of my electronics off the same pack, do you have a link to that specific battery setup? and do you have any thoughts on whether you think that will be to much weight for our airborn rig? we are in the process of building an X8 which will have more then enough power to carry it, but you dont think it will be an issue with the extra weight on the movi?

6. Philip Lima

Philip Lima Member

We have two different modes. If we are shooting on the ground and handheld, I use a v-mount attached to the side of the camera. I actually use standard RED v-mount batteries without issue. They do weigh a lot, but it's nice not having to deal with battery changes and the Movi handles it perfectly assuming it's well balanced.

Here is a picture of the setup:
    [​IMG]

I am using the PTAP on the v-mount to power a palinx arrow+ that's mounted to the back of the camera. The only cable running off the Movi is the monitor cable which doesn't offer enough resistance to effect the quality of the stabilization.

The second mode I've setup is for extremely light weight(airborne). The camera, paralinx and movi are all powered by a single 2200mah 4S lipo. This setup lasts about 25 minutes, but is about as light as you can get. I run an XT60>Epic power cable all the way from the back of the movi along the same path as the movi cables that go to the IMU. I also run a very slim HDMI cable along the same route so that the Paralinx setup can be mounted off the back of the movi near the power supply. This setup works extremely well and is quite light considering(around 10lbs). One nice thing about this setup... The 2200mah batteries cost about $20 and I can charge 4 of them in parallel in less than 30 minutes, so for $100 worth of batteries, you can pretty much shoot non-stop if you have access to a decent charger. Sorry I don't have any pictures of this setup, yet...

7. Kevin Derda

Kevin Derda New Member

How did you get the battery mount on to the side of the camera??? I would love to do this on my rig

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

9. frank weigand

frank weigand New Member

Hallo
    I use a M10 with a black Magic Production Camera 4K.
    So I tuck the original Battery away and take a V-Mount and a power distributer on his place
    the problem I have got now if the battery is not fresh and the Voltage goes under 14.5V the M10 will switch off.
    But it should run from 9-18V but his not true
    thanks Frank

Attached Files:

10. Philip Lima

Philip Lima Member

We use a standard IDX V-Mount plate and the screws line up perfectly to those on the epic. I measured and purchased the proper length screws as to not into the epic body more than the original RED screws and it works well. The only downside is that it blocks the rec/power button on the camera. However, I just carry a small screw driver or something like that to reach behind the plate and turn the camera on.

Kevin Derda likes this.
  11. Orlando Briones

Orlando Briones New Member

What brand of 2200mah 4S lipo are you using? I'm about to start powering a red dragon, paralinx and remote off of my bottom plate lipo and charge the movi from the standard movi battery.

I'm new to this battery world so trying to figure out best lipo battery solution and charger in parallel as you suggested.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

12. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

at the moment we are running a hobbyking rhino 2150 4s pack and we get around 15-20 minutes of time of each battery. we made a parallel connector with a plug in the back so when we want to switch out batteries we just plug the new pack into the open plug and unplug the old battery so we dont have to power the system off. we mainly did this because the teradek bolt pro 2000 likes to stay powered on or the first few minutes of use it doesnt seem to get full range.

13. Philip Lima

Philip Lima Member

I use the zippy compact 2200mah 4S 25C batteries and get about 20 minutes out of the battery powering our Epic, Movi and paralinx. The batteries are less than $20 each, just make sure to buy them from the US warehouse as the international delivery is known to take months(literally) on occasion.

14. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I highly recommend the IDX E-7s/Freefly mount configuration. After so many jobs with the sidehandle and Redvolts (which most DPs don't have, so production would have to rent them), I got fed up and invested in 4x IDX E-7s'. My DPs were getting frustrated with me telling them we could only have 15-30 minutes of up time before a battery switch, and all the custom wiring harnesses and additional LiPos we were using for accessories was getting ugly. I was always plugging the camera into a beltpack every time we would set the Movi down so we wouldn't have to power down the camera. It was getting annoying to say the least.

I picked up this new set of batteries a couple of weeks ago, and I've been shooting with them in East Africa on a Carbon Dragon, and both the DP and myself are in love with it. He's even gone so far as to keep using the side-mounted V-lock battery when we are on sticks or handheld. Plus having 2x D-tap means the follow focus and Paralinx are cleanly mounted on board, allowing us to switch between Movi and non-Movi configurations in no time flat (and I can still focus wirelessly without additional setup).

15. Senthil Nathan

Hey Grad... would you be so kind to post a picture of this setup? Considering
    Would you be so kind to post some pictures of that setup?I am considering going the Carbon v-lock route myself. Thanks!

16. Paul Mackeson

Paul Mackeson New Member

Hi All

Does anybody know of a company in the UK that will make a Lipo to Red Epic power cable?

Thanks

Paul

17. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Took me a while before I got back to civilization, but here is one of the photos of the setup with the v-lock plate from Freefly, and the IDX batteries (which Freefly also sells on their site).

Attached Files:

18. Hugh Fenton

Hugh Fenton New Member

Hi Phillip,

thanks for your post. I know you made this post about two years ago but I'm hoping to power a Red Epic Dragon off a Lipo battery and wondering what cables / lipo batteries you'd suggest now (2 years on) for this. Reason for powering the Red off a Lipo battery is that I just want to reduce the weight and save on the v-locks (of which you'd need four - six).

Cheers, Hugh : )