/dist/images/branding/favicon

Toad in the Hole quick release mounting system

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Luke Waters, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

I wish I could do the same - Flying has become strictly restricted here in Austria. I haven´t launched my cinestar in more than a year. So I´ve never been able to use the MoVI in flight yet :-(.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Oh man, that sucks!

3. JASPER GLAVANICS

Thats good to know! As I will be flying in Germany and Austria at the end of the year. I have my operators certificate, which is what we have to get from the Civil Aviation Authority here in Australia to fly commercially.
    Wolfgang, would this allow me to fly in Austria as well?

4. Wolfgang Armin

Jasper, I´m afraid no. It is a tedious process to get that license and it is all but cheap. Expect a few months waiting time (and no reply at all whether your application is even received). That´s why I haven´t even applied yet.

Oh - and yes - one of the things that need to be fulfilled is full redundancy of the complete copter - something that has just become available a few weeks ago. So: double flight control, battery redundancy,....

5. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

What sort of bag do you put the Movi in to hike with it?

6. Steve Maller

Just carried it as is. Used some velcro straps to keep it from swinging around. And wore gloves to protect my hands. :)

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow. That's amazingly restrictive, Wolfgang. Do you have to have backup receivers and motors too? <evil grin>
    Do you have a link to where I can find these complete restrictions, please? (I hope Mrs. Google can translate them.)

Andy.

8. Steve Maller

Holger has discussed them at length, and has also apparently received certification from the Austrians for his latest hardware. I gather the “redundancy” is rather narrow in its definition (and capabilities).

Here he mentions MK getting the green light:
    http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-post514868.html#post514868
    The permits for the MikroKopter have been issued last week Friday. As far as I've heard were that excited about our solution.
    And more here:
    http://www.mikrokopter.de/de/austro

9. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Since this thread is about the Toad in the Hole Il comment on it at firs by just looking at pictures I thought clever but a little overprice, when I got one in my hands I understood the price, it is a very well made, part clever design and engineering and o boy so useful

Steve Maller likes this.
  10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Steve.

So if we do a fault tree analysis, then the critical failure points (where a single failure will bring down the copter) include:

1. LiPo battery (a dual battery with splitter merely doubles the probability of failure if one LiPo fails and goes to zero volts).
    2. 5v supply to the RC Receiver and and Flight Controllers (although each FC has it's own DC/DC converter).
    3. BL-Ctrls (although with an octo there is tolerance for one failure).
    4. The I2C bus on the PDB (it's fed by two FC's but there is only one trace for the I2C bus on the PDB as I understand it).
    5. The NC board is a partial choke point in that if the Tx/Rx fails it will be required to bring the copter home.
    6. .... not sure if that's all of them.

I wonder whether we should be putting our thinking caps on to try and figure out how to address some of these failures modes.

Andy.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah you're right on both counts, Jose. We have drifted the thread, but that's the way conversations go, so I'm not too bothered by it.

And yes, the Toad in the Hole is a brilliant piece of design, IMO. Nicely engineered.

Andy.

12. Steve Maller

I would add all manner of mechanical failures, too, including (but not limited to):
    1. Structural failure of the frame (loose boom, fracture of some other part, etc)
    2. Mechanical failure of a motor
    3. Mechanical failure of a prop (including losing it altogether)
    4. Retractable landing gear failure
    5. Mechanical de-coupling of an electronic connection (motor bullet, servo cable, molex cable, antenna, etc.)

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I think failures of a single motor or prop would not be considered critical on an octo.
    Not sure the retractable gear failure would be critical -- you could still land. I gather Red Epics make good shock absorbers.

As to connections, don't get me started. JR and JST connections are, ummm, not quite what I'm used in terms of aviation/high vibration contexts....As my school report card often said "Needs work -- needs to try harder."

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  14. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Here is some more light reading on things that MK has put/are putting into place on the issue of potential failures and multirotor redundancy:
    http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/Redundant

Put a Toad on it,
    Adam

Steve Maller likes this.
  15. Terron Pratt

Terron Pratt New Member

Hi Steve, Would you mind taking a picture of the attachment point for your toad, both to the copter and the top of the Movi. I'm interested in which pieces they go onto. Thank you!

16. Steve Maller

My copter's at my studio so I can't do that right now, but it's pretty simple. The Toad (the "male" part) goes on the star plate on the copter (or whatever vibration isolation system you're using) and the Hole (the "female" part) goes on the MōVI.

If you don't have a Cinestar-type copter or you have some other gimbal, you're on your own.

17. JASPER GLAVANICS

Wow.. I didn't think there would be a country that was stricter than Australia on their UAV laws! Crazy ..
    My new machine that carry's my Red Epic will have dual flight controllers and I generally fly with two flight packs, but not sure what other battery redundancy options there are out there?

18. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

19. Wolfgang Armin

Hi guys! Sorry, I seemed to miss the conversation since my last post. Thanks, Steve for the Link to Austrocontrol. That's the one that contains all the information (in the pdfs - german only which is not really professional in my opinion). I have been at a presentation of the law in spring with discussions afterwards. Austrocontrol says that many countries will follow. But Italy followed shortly after with totally different laws. Now since the license you can get here is one year valid only, costs quite some money (including a bigger upgrade of your copter), and a lot of time, I've still not applied for a license. It seems that there even is a chance that you won't get the license the following year with the same copter because they are still evolving the process and may change it. Then I would have to upgrade again - to whatever. That's not a process I'm really willing to take part in.

So enough said, sorry for hijacking the thread, guys. The toad in the hole is a wonderful, wonderful piece of ear, I love it!

20. Terron Pratt

Terron Pratt New Member

Thanks Steve. I don't have the piece yet but I haven't been able to find a single close up picture of the adapter installed. Was just hoping to get some insight before I purchase it.

Cheers!