/dist/images/branding/favicon

Why M10 is so popular?

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Christina Yang, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Christina Yang

Christina Yang New Member

Since months ago, I am looking for a gimbal.
    There are quite many out there: like besteady, Porta Head, Defy, LeveFly, ROKsteady, DJI...
    and the prices are much lower.

Why M10?

2. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Short answer: It works everytime you turn it on.

Only DJI from your list has its own controller, the rest is using 3rd party controller like Alexmos.

They are altnernative with much less cost, but it's a matter of what you want. M10 is the lightest setup out there without problems. It has its limitations but once you learn how to stay in those limits, it works beautifuly.

Christina Yang likes this.
  3. Christina Yang

Thx Ozkan!
    Could you please tell more about the limitations? I have been thinking about which to buy for some time....

4. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

* The weight limit: It's clearly stated, if you want more you need M15.
    * The camera lenght limit: The cameras with long bodies like Sony F55 has problems with balancing. Again you need M15 for this.
    * Speed: M10 can bu used on different vehicles, including cars, boats etc. Some users reported that M10 shuts down the motors when the wind speed is around 70km/h. This happens when M10 is totally exposed to the wind. Other gimbals also suffer this problem since you need lots of power to compensate the wind resistance.

Christina Yang likes this.
  5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

That's the thing right there: if you had the MōVI already, you would have been able to take several jobs and be well on the way to paying it off by now. The reason I ditched my DIY Alexmos-based gimbal and bought a MōVI M5 was that I believed I could depend on it. The other gimbals out there are just not very well engineered in my experience. The other thing is that the MōVI has a lot of cachet in front of clients. It shouldn't matter, but you know it does.

It's similar with RED cameras and other filmmaking tools...if you want to make money in this business, you have to look like you don't need the money. :cool:

6. Christina Yang

lol right point here!! I am just sometimes not decisive... and also these days, I don't think money is easy to earn though.. especially I just started to work in this field.

Anyway, every time reading ur post makes me feel better and happy! thx!

Steve Maller likes this.
  7. Christina Yang

Thanks Ozkan! For such detailed explanation!
    Now I have a clearer picture of the general. :)
    Do you have some website of test that I can learn more about it?

8. Sean Haverstock

There's a lot to be said on this topic and the competition. But in short, the MOVI outperforms all competition in camera stabilization, ease of use, reliability, scalability and design. This is due in large part because FreeFly's background is deeply rooted in production.

Outside of DJI, all the other companies you listed, are new to the camera stabilization game in the last year. Furthermore, they are all using the same camera stabilization platform (BaseCam Electronics formerly AlexMOS). It should be known that BaseCam is not an open source project. Basically, all the companies listed are resellers of the same platform. And folks here can correct me if I'm wrong, but essentially they are all just different delivery devices (gimbals) of the same camera stabilization software. The companies may have their own GUIs, though.

FreeFly has been around well before they introduced the MOVi. They have been stabilizing cameras for years on their aerial platforms. Their team has been on location at the highest level of production for as long as this industry has been around really. They know their gear has to work, work exceptionally well and work all the time. Furthermore, beyond the big picture of FreeFly as a company compared to the competition, the attention to detail in the design both mechanically and in the GUI further separate it from the other products.

The competition is simply trying to emulate FreeFly's innovation. I have extensive experience with AlexMos systems prior to using the MOVI. I thought the MOVI was for people who couldn't complete a DIY project. But instead, it's designed for real professionals who need to use their time on location being creative - not trying to get a piece of gear to work.

Steve Maller likes this.
  9. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Movi was the first, therefore it owns the market.

(Marketing / branding 101).