/dist/images/branding/favicon

Traveling

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Tristan Twisselman, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

All my stuff I have done to date has been traveled to via car or personal plane. We are gonna be flying commercial next week to a location and I need to order some cases. I have seen some use 1 or 2 1620's for the cs8/remotes/gimbal etc. As far as a pelican case to carry the lipos on with...what is the most popular choice that will fit and be classified as carry on? I have 6 6s6600's and about 6 3s 1350's. Thanks

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

We use a peli 1520 for our lipos. The 1520 is carry on size and holds our 10 sets of 5s lipos (20 5s lipos permanently wired in parallel) the case is heavy as all hell when loaded with that many lipos but it's very stealthy and low profile.

It's Very important to hide the heft of the case from the girls at the check-in counter when checking other bags...there is a weight limit for carry on and 20 5s lipos totally exceeds this weight. If you're traveling with a partner I would HIGHLY suggest splitting the load between two 1520 cases if you're traveling with that many lipos. 6 6s will be fine in a single case.

3. Tristan Twisselman

Cool, thanks for the info Howard.

4. Tristan Twisselman

One more thing I forgot...how do you deal with charging...I cant imagine taking the generator with us on the plane

5. Howard Dapp

We travel with 4 chargers. When we're on location we use our rental vehicle's battery (while the car is running) to charge. If we need to charge while driving between shoot loations, we SECURELY connect a set of jumper cables to the car's battery then run the cable to the interior of the vehicle, connect our chargers then gaffer the connections to protect from shorts - Some will talk safety etc but we've been doing it this way for years. You have to do what you have to in order to get the job done without any delays waiting for charging batteries...clients don't want those type of delays on loation.

When back at the hotel we use this power supply: http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-MMRP1053.html We use this same power supply for international travel, it auto switches from 120v to 250v. It's very compact too. I'm able to simultaneously charge 4 5s lipos at 4A each.

6. Tristan Twisselman

Thanks again Howard, charging off of the car battery is something I didn't even think of. Been a long time since i had to do that haha. As for charging at the hotel I have a 24v 50a power supply i will use for that.

7. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

would you mind sharing this power supply as we use a power supply for servidor (computer) in paralalel to achive close to that

8. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

9. Howard Dapp

As
    As I mentioned above, we've been using the http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-MMRP1053.html for a couple of years now. It's small and compact. Input voltage (120-250) auto switches for international use.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Howard:
    That link is broken - at least for me. Could you double check it? It sounds like a good power supply.

ANdy.

11. Howard Dapp

Sorry Andy, link repaired.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Apologies, Howard....I just realized it was a link that also appears in Arthur's message right above yours. Duh. It's been a long week.

Andy.

13. Tristan Twisselman

14. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Anybody using custom ATA cases for travel with the Cinestar 8? With a 42"x42"x8" case the entire frame could travel intact, requiring only removal of the gimbal. Both radios and lots of other stuff would fit between the arms.

15. Pavlos Antoniou

Wh
    Why not an ATA case 42x42x20 inch in order to fit and the gimbal inside??

16. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

I suppose you could do that, but it might be a bit unwieldy. Seems like a flatter case like this would be fairly easy to travel with and still avoid having to do a complete rebuild of the copter.

View attachment 413 View attachment 414

Attached Files:

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

How did you cut such neat holes in the foam?

Andy.

18. Tristan Twisselman

They sell Foam Cutters Andy. Not sure if that is what he used but they do work great for stuff like that. They are also pretty cheap

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah -- I've tried foam cutters. Must be my wrist action, but I couldn't cut that neatly....

Andy.

20. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Andy, I pulled those pics off an RC groups page. Looks like a laser cutter job on that high-density foam. This idea is something I'm considering, so that's why I brought it up here, to see if anybody had tried it. Some airlines have a 115 inch max girth allowance for oversize bags, so this would still fall under that. I personally like the idea of not having to fully dismantle and build every time I do a shoot if its possible.