/dist/images/branding/favicon

GH4 card freeze

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Today we did some aerials with a GH4 on a CSHL and Movi5 on the firs take before we finish the flight the image freeze on the monitor so, landed and cheek the footage, nothing corrupt file, so we lost the take I assume because the file did not close properly with the freeze what do you guys think is the reason here i a picture of the card we where shooting 1080 at 96 FPS
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

That’s the same card I use in my GH4 and I’ve shot all different frame rates including true 4K (not the UHD one) at 24.0fps.
    Did you do a format of the card before you used it?
    Sometimes cards are just bad. Or you might have a counterfeit one. Hard to tell. Where did you buy it?

And FYI, the 96FPS format is very soft compared to the 60FPS. Check the reviews...the 96 is a waste of time. Maybe they’ll improve it with a firmware update down the road.

3. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Thanks Steve it was not my camera nor my card we were shooting 5D and the DP wanted to try his GH4 so I was also curious about using the GH4 but he claim that he did some test shot with the camera and card at different rates and no problem until we did the aerials it brought memories of my hack GH2 and freezing takes I guess a good test would be to subject the camera to some type of vibration similar of what it would get on a flying copter to see if vibration is an issue

4. Steve Maller

Did you have anything plugged into the camera (HDMI or other)? Was the battery level good? Did the camera actually freeze or just stop recording? Did you have to pull the battery? I don't have a lot of time on the GH4, but I have been using it almost every day and haven't seen anything like what you described. But I'd be very suspicious of the card.

5. Landon Arnold

Landon Arnold New Member

Jose, I had the exact same issue. I am FPV through the gh4 via an hdmi converter, downlink through lawmate. I can usually get a good 20 minutes on the camera before I get a freeze like you describe. I do believe it is a write error to the card, however I haven't had a lot of time to test and eliminate items. I have only had the issue on my new 64gb U 3 card. I haven't, however, had the issue on any of my class 10 cards, so I think that card could very well be the problem. I was shooting at 24.00/72fps each time the freeze occurred.

6. Steve Maller

I shot a whole 32GB card on Friday with almost 20 minutes of 200mps aerials and about 8 minutes handheld and it worked perfectly. You guys should return your cards to Sandisk...their warranty will replace them.

7. Landon Arnold

Landon Arnold New Member

Steve, were you using the hdmi out on the gh4 for fpv? I shot 30min on it today without the hdmi plugged in and it worked fine.

8. Steve Maller

Yes, running HDMI out into a cheapie hack’d Amazon “white box” HDMI converter, then out to my 5.8ghz TX on the copter, and running HDMI out direct into my smallHD DP6 on the ground.

9. Steve Maller

I just noticed that you said you’re running 24.0 fps. I read somewhere that only the 59.94 system frequency works properly with HDMI out into the cheapie HDMI converters. That’s obviously a problem. I am running regular system frequency and 1080P 23.976fps. But I did run 4K out before my Freefly HDMI converter started to flake out on me and I had to switch.

10. Landon Arnold

Landon Arnold New Member

What were your gh4 settings if you don't mind. Did you have any compression curves? Manual exposure or priority? Afs or mf? Horizon line?

I'm not convinced that it's the card at this point. I can only replicate the issue on my copter.

11. Steve Maller

No compression curves. Manual exposure. Using the 12-35 at 12mm. Nothing really special otherwise. It’d be a really simple experiment to switch to a different card. In my experience with marginal cards, especially with the GoPro 3, it really needs a fast card, and will freeze up if there’s any issues.

12. Landon Arnold

Landon Arnold New Member

Strange. I am stumped on it. I've run several hours worth of video today to try and reproduce the issue with no luck. I have a 280mb/s card, so that should be PLENTY fast. I'll try different system frequencies as you suggested and see if that makes a difference.

13. Landon Arnold

Landon Arnold New Member

are you shooting VFR or 200 intra? I am going to try system frequency of 59.94htz at 60/29.97p and see if I get similar results.

14. Steve Maller

I’m not sure why you’re assuming the card is good. That is the first thing I would check. Get another one or borrow one from somebody.

15. Landon Arnold

Landon Arnold New Member

I have 8 cards and have replicated the issue on several of them (which have never given me issues before). No chance to take it up today and try with different settings...rainy today.

16. Steve Maller

Ahh. I wonder if there’s a way to export all the camera settings onto a memory card the way you can with the 5D Mark III. If there is, I could do that with my camera and post my settings here. Does anybody know if that’s possible?

17. Landon Arnold

Landon Arnold New Member

I'm not sure. I'm going to give it a try on the 59.94htz frequency and see if I have better results. I would be really sad if 24htz is the problem......

18. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I tried on different frequincies and didn't have this problem. Can it be due to the slow motion capturing? Since it has to buffer lots of data and it can produce that error?

19. Landon Arnold

Landon Arnold New Member

that was my thought too Ozkan. I was shooting 72fps. Going to try 60fps and see if I run into the same issue.