/dist/images/branding/favicon

The New DJI LightBridge...!!!

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Marc BRACELET, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Robert Youens

Robert Youens New Member

Since lightbridge is both a receiver and transmitter, in should not be used with any other 2.4 receiver on the aircraft (ie separate camera or flight control). Having a 2.4 transmitter (lightbridge) right next to your Futaba, JR, Airtronnics, etc receiver would dramatically degrade its ability to receive in the strong RF field on the nearby lightbridge transmitter. It is clear to me why they would combine flight and video RF in a system they hope to sell globally.

I have not seen anywhere what transmitters that the system will be compatible with. I assume compatibility will be limited to Futaba since DJI has chosen to integrate several systems with Futaba already.

I see many potential issues. I lost a really nice rig (complete loss including expensive camera), when DJI was having the "flip of death" issues with the Wookong M and the compass/gps antenna. With lightbridge, both the air systems and ground systems are unproven. Having had the "flip of death" experience, I will not be a beta tester for DJI on the lightbridge.

I hope to hear from the brave individuals that are willing to test the lightbridge. I am also wondering how the pilots using this downlink will feel about being tethered to camera man.

I hope that some company will come out with a simple 5.8 or 900mhz HD downlink that will work independently of my ability to control my aircraft.

Robert Youens

2. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

So you guys wouldn't recommend using it as video downlink only, on a MK system with Graupner or Futaba RC because of the 2.4GhZ interference?

3. Tim Sessler

I am curious to hear what the actual latency is - if 80ms is the maximum, that would be pretty great. Somebody mentioned 200-300ms though, which would be hardly usable.

Also, repeating the question that I posted before: how much will the LB mess with another 2.4Ghz Rx/Tx? Will it degrade the range or will it actually make it unusable? Is the main problem that the Lightbridge Tx would be right next to Cinestar Rx?

Cheers!

4. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Tim its my understanding that the Lightbridge needs to be used with one of DJI's flight controllers...

5. Tim Sessler

Drew, yes absolutely, thats what it was build for. But the system itself shouldn't really care whether is have a controller attached or not, the video downlink should still work. The question is how does the high power 2.4ghz signal affect the connection of a Graupner or Futaba Tx/Rx thats on the same copter?

6. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

I think we're all waiting for that answer! I just don't want to be the "test subject".

7. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Got my Lightbridge! If I can't use it as a standalone downlink it's worthless to me. I think I might do some testing at low altitude. :/​

8. pål åge røstad

pål åge røstad New Member

In this link you can find a lot of info on the Lightbridge…:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2091053

If you are going to suit as a videolink , with a 2,4Ghz RX/TX for your Copter, you're in trouble… the two 2,4Ghz systems (Lightbridge and your TR/RX) would not work well

9. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

So I did some guniea pig work and flew the lightbridge next to my 2.4ghz spektrum! 4 flights and 30 minutes airtime with 0 control issues.

10. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Cojones of steel. Well done. Didn't expect that. :)

11. Robin Opgård

Robin Opgård New Member

We actually tried it on our big copter with the MoVi. It flew fine, but the MoVi w/ Spectrum lost signal and reset the tilt all the time (quite annoying btw). Going to try a Futaba RX/TX on the MoVi, to see if that works better. But knowing that it operates on the same frequencies is quite scary.

We mounted the Lightbridge on top of the back pan rod, right by the pan motor, so it might have been too close to the Spectrum MoVi RX.

Is there any way to port the MoVi signals through for example an A2 so that one can use Lightbridge's proprietary RX/TX system on just the MoVi? Losing the 360 possibility, or being hooked up to the pilot on ground, which DJI wants us to, is no option.

12. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Well we used the lb with a big machine using futaba 14sg on set with other mics bolt and all sort of interference u can have on a set. Plus we had some close eletrical wires and posts.
    My experience was on the phone hoked with usb the image flicks kind of a stop motion. But u get full osd straight from wookong on our case. But it works on naza as well no need for external osd. But when u conect a hd monitor what is great the image is super dlear. But there is no osd. And if u conect both the hdmi has priority snd the usb get disconected.
    We teste for 500 mts and even behind walls .... Oulllll is all we can say.
    Also it gives u numbers from 0 to 100 the level of signal for the video link once u get 25 starts to llose, and than comes the thing it goes blue once losted. As long as u keep above 25 all stars

13. Aj White

Aj White Member

What about using the Lightbridge to control the MOVI? People are using sbus breakout boards over on RCG. Then you would have HD signal and long distance rc control on the MOVI.

14. John Banks

John Banks New Member

I am trying to control our Movi using the Lightbridge but can't figure out how to make the D-Bus signal from the LB work with the RX input on the Movi (S-Bus). Anyone??? I am flying a Cinestar 8 and RF control for that is through Immersion RC 433mHz UHF leaving the 2.4 band free for the LB. As the Movi has no slip ring, it is impossible to use the LB to control the copter

TIA
    John

15. EC_Jack

EC_Jack New Member

john
    John check this out, it may give you an option. I have the SBUS decoder, and finding it working like advertised.

best

16. nathaimu

nathaimu New Member

Hi everyone.
    I am new to the forum, so please excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I am building a pretty big hexacopter that carries a GH4 camera on an Align gimbal. It is a custom build, so the pieces don't always fit together, but so far everything found its place, and the hexa flies pretty great.

Just to be clear, here is a basic description of what I am using at this point :
    - Wookong M
    - Graupner MZ18 radio and GR24 Rx
    - 16000MAh 6S battery
    - 3S battery as secondary
    Pretty simple...

Still left to add to the system :
    - Lightbridge
    - Gimbal and camera

As I said, in this configuration, and with no gimbal or Lightbridge, the Hexa flies perfect, but my problems start when I use the LB Air Sytem as a receiver. When I do that, the hexa "stutters", or coughs if you prefer. I would not dare to fly it.
    So just to be clear, when I use the lightbridge (and UNplug the GR24 Rx), everything responds fine, everything is calibrated in LB and Wookong, motors start as they should, but while the motors are working, I can see and hear small "jumps". It is as if the system stops for a millisecond and starts again, like little coughs, or some kind of irregular jitter.

Has anyone experienced something similar ?

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi nathalmu, welcome to the forum.

If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

Also, this is a support forum for FreeFly Systems -- is any part of your configuration Freefly? If not, then you may find that you will not be able to get too much assistance on this forum.

Thanks

Andy

18. Tim Marchenko

Tim Marchenko New Member

so...
    what did you wire the DJI LIGHTBRIDGE air to your gimbal for HD signal? and is it posible to wire the Air system to one of the DJI Z15 for HD signal only with out control. ??

19. Iacopo Boccalari

Iacopo Boccalari New Member

Has anyone used lightbridge with the movi only? I mean, not on a multirotor, just handheld. How do I connect it to the movi controller?

20. Manos Parcharidis

Manos Parcharidis New Member

Hello Guys, I am about to Buy the RTF kit Phantom 2 Vision. Can i use the lightbridge only for get the video to display it in Screen through HDMI? Can i steal control it with my phone attached in the stock transmitter and only get the video clear from LB, without any information like height, speed? I need the OSD data and the control on the Phone and the clear screen on HDMI.
    Thank you.