/dist/images/branding/favicon

Help with purchase list

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Tristan Twisselman, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

This is my first actual multirotor and if anyone is willing, I need some assistance in making sure I have everything ordered to finish my build. All my other multi rotors where Dji flame wheels.
    So, I have a...
    cinestar 8 with cinestar 3 axis gimbal
    Dji wookong-m flight controller (may sell and pickup a hoverfly pro board)
    Using the apc 14x4.7 props from quadrocopter with Tiger Motor MT 3515 400kv and castle ice 50 speed controllers
    Running 6s and a wiring harness to power esc's
    Either gonna use hoverfly gimbal board or free fly gimbal when it is announced
    What I need some help with is mostly the smaller stuff such as the battery pack that mounts to the gimbal for powering the gimbal controller. What size and brand is most used. Etc. thanks!

Tristan

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

3. Tristan Twisselman

Thanks for the info Josh. I will pick up some 3s packs about the same size.

4. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Tristan,

List looks good! a few points to add if I may.
    1. So far I cannot get very good stability with the wookong on APC 14x4.7 props in the wind. It seems to like higher prop RPMS that go along with smaller props.
    2. On my current mount I use 2 small 1300mah packs. One 3S to power my downlink and one to power my mount receiver. I seperate the power between the 2 so that the servo noise down not cause interference with my downlink.
    3. I have attached a photo that shows how I make the distribution harness for high amp heavy lift birds, I use deans connectors to plug the ESC's into and then dual EC5's for 2 batteries. This has proven reliable on the even the heaviest birds I have flying 30+lb payloads.

Best,

Tabb

Attached Files:

5. Tristan Twisselman

Thanks so much for the info Tabb. It seems to be the general consensus with the wkm and I think I am gonna pick up the hoverfly pro board and give it a go and sell this wkm. I will order up some small 3s packs to use for my downlink and receiver on the gimbal. I like the simplicity of your wiring harness and I think I will change mine to be like that. I will take a pic of my current one and you can tell me what you think. Yours seems it would be much easier to conceal in the frame than mine.

Tristan

6. Johan Schenning

Johan Schenning New Member

Hi Tabb

Could you show us some more how you done the distribution harnes? It looks really nice.
    /Johan

7. Benjamin Rowland

I'm flying a Cinestar 8 with Hoverfly Pro and have been very happy with it. Hit up our site for samples: www.YonderBlueFilms.com

8. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

IMG_7747.JPG resized.JPG IMG_7748.JPG resized.JPG IMG_7747.JPG resized.JPG IMG_7748.JPG resized.JPG
    Hi Johan,

I copied Tabb's idea for power distribution. The one I made is for an Octo, but I hot glued ten Ultra Deans connectors together and then gently held that assembly in a vice to solder the wires to it. I also bent the ground tabs on the connectors over 90 degrees so that the ground wire would be easier to solder and allow for more contact between the wire and tab. I used ten connectors so that I would have two extra sources for power from that assembly.

9. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

wholy moly! that is one AMAZING idea for a harness! best ever. My harness is a pain in the arse to produce and looks like an 10awg rats nest of mess. Thanks for sharing that Tabb. Funny I'm very happy about this..

I would go as far as using epoxy to seal the exposed leads for good separation between the two as to eliminate any chance of shorts...lot's of amps pumping through there. I would then shrink-wrap the whole thing and cut out openings for the plugs.

10. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

I just had to build another one of these yesterday for a big Octo...I should have grabbed some pictures. This time I had the correct size thick heat shrink so that the entire assembly is covered with heatshrink and then openings cut for the deans.

Howard, good idea on the epoxy...that would certainly make this a bulletproof solution. We were thinking of making a little form for these and then potting them in a compound similar to what kontronik uses on their ESC's.

Wayne- I think yours turned out nicer then mine! LOL

One other tip...if you are going to take the time to build one, always leave extra ports like Wayne did. I cant tell you how many times I have built one for a hex only to wish I could use it on an octo! ;)

11. Mark McGuire

Mark McGuire Distributor

Here's what im using for octo's.. sits nicely in the centre. & has a 3 aux leads for other stuff.

DSC036hh95.jpg

12. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Hi Mark, beautyfull,
    what do you use for conecctions bettwen deans? is it a cooper strip? Just to confirm you did cut the deans in the center to fit the board?

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That's a great idea for distribution -- plus, as I'm converting all my batteries over to EC5, it answers the question "what do I do with all those Deans that I have in my parts box?"

And yes, you can send a PM by clicking on a person's name above their image and select "Start a Conversation." :)

Andy.

Mark McGuire likes this.
  14. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Thats the best Idea I seen so far.
    With a bit of imagination and a CNC close by could add a traco voltage reg for 12V and holes to fit on the CS frame.....
    Sent you a conversation Mark

15. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

What epoxy do you recommend to use between the exposed leads Howard?

16. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I used 3M Scotch-Weld that I had for another project. This stuff is extremely strong and dries as hard as metal! Then I shrink-wrapped the entire harness similar to Josh's build.

17. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Thank you! Hopefully mine comes out as clean as yours! Can't wait to get my CS8 up and flying!

18. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

I found some liquid electrical while picking up some of that epoxy you recommended. I'm gonna see how well that works

19. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

Hi Tabb,

May I ask what props do you like better for windy days (+-5mph) with your Cinestar8/Wkm?
    I am running 5s Lipo.....

Thank you,
    Sylvio

20. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Sylvio, it depends on the payload. For anything up to the FS100 weight range I really like the APC 14x4.7 props. For anything heavier I like the XOAR 15x5 props.

Best,

Tabb