/dist/images/branding/favicon

Teradek Clip

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Drew Kachurak, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

Reply to my own post, i tested now with 2 ipads and it's not possible to connect 2 ipads simultaneously, so it's quite useless for my use like this at the moment. I need at least two or three monitors, one for myself, one for camera operator and one for client/D.O.P

2. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Kari,
    To do what you are after I think you will find you can do it with a teradek cube.
    Cheers
    Chris

3. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

Hello Chris,

Or just stick to old school analog ;)

Best,

Kari

Steve Maller likes this.
  4. Toby WIlson

Toby WIlson New Member

Hi Kari,

You are correct in that currently the clip doesn't support two ipads monitoring the same feed the the same time. I have heard from unconfirmed sources that it may be possible sometime in the future, but not 100% clear.

You can however use the handoff feature built into the app which will allow whatever other device that is connected to the clip to then get the feed and cut the original devices feed off and vice versa, obviously not a solution for you but it is sometime nice to have.

One of the workarounds we have used is the thunderbolt to hdmi out connector for our ipad mini which allows you to mirror the ipod screen to any other screen, its not a cheap nor elegant solution but it does work, bearing in mind the aspect ratio output is 4:3 so you may need to resize on the monitor.

The small hd monitors we use have this feature.

Hope this is of some help

5. Toby WIlson

Toby WIlson New Member

Is anyone else having any issues with the Clip being slow and buggy to connect to the Ipad App?

We have been experiencing some numbingly slow connect times with multiple app resets required until the video feed shows.

The app and clip will sometimes pair but no video will be present until more app resets.

This is after giving the Clip adequate time to boot up and it is definitely receiving video.

Toby

6. Michael Gailing

Hey Toby,

This is very out of the ordinary. Have you upgraded the app or firmware on the unit recently?

If you're still having trouble after the upgrade, shoot an email to Support@teradek.com

7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Toby,
    What the mobile phone density in the immediate area of your router? We have found that this can cause problems.
    Cheers
    Chris

8. Toby WIlson

Toby WIlson New Member

Never more than 5 or 6 people around.

Could possibly be the issue might go back to a secured network, was running it unsecured for ease of use for clients.

Have just seen there is a firmware update for the Clip that came out 2014-01-31 .
    We were still running 1.0.3
    Will try it and see if it helps.

Would be good if teradek included a build log with each new firmware update to show the issues they have addressed.

Will post how i get on.

Cheers

9. Guillaume Perez

Guillaume Perez New Member

I own 2 clips that i use on a french TV show about antiques that I'm directing... I use them to monitor 1 steadyCam and a classical shoulder rig cam... One of them is kind of "difficult" sometimes everything looks fine (blue everywhere on the clip, the iPad finds the network) but I still don't have the picture while the other one works very fine... I tried everything but still don't have the solution... I'm a little bit upset though

10. Michael Gailing

Hi Guillaume,

If you are experiencing an issue with one of your units, shoot an email to Support@teradek.com. We can help! My guess is that it might be set to the 2.4GHz band, instead of 5GHz, but its possible there are other issues at hand. Let me know if you have any trouble reaching the Support team.

Mike

11. Michael Gailing

Hey Toby,

There is a log of each firmware update, though you are correct that it is no longer up on our website. Ill have that fixed hopefully by tomorrow.

12. Guillaume Perez

Guillaume Perez New Member

i'm pretty sure that i was on 5GHz Auto on both Clips... I'm leaving tomorrow for 3 new days of shooting in the same configuration, we will see...

13. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

About Teradek Clip: Is the infrastructure mode only designed to improve range? Or is it possible for a number of users to log into the wifi network the Clip has joined with their own devices like iPhone, iPad etc and view the picture transmitted by Clip?
    If yes, does the device have to be a Mac product or are Windows/Android devices supported also?
    What I´m after here is that is it possible to make the Clip image viewable for more than just one device this way.

14. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

If I understand correctly, the Clip can only do point-to-point with a single client device right now.

15. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Can someone from Teradek confirm this please? And if this really is so, any plans of widening the support? I would like to buy the Clip as it is the only transmitter designed for aerial use, but the lack of support for more than one users/displays is a deal breaker for me at least.

16. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Got a confirmation from Teradek: the infrastructure mode is for extending the range only.
    No way of viewing the Clip with more than one iPad.

A shame, because otherwise the Clip would be a very useful tool. Hopefully there will be an upgrade.

17. Toby WIlson

Toby WIlson New Member

Hi Tuukka,

You can in fact mirror the ipad connected to the clip to a Macbook if you have one, not always a solution but does work and we have used it sometimes for clients as a easy solution for remote viewing.

We use a piece of software called "Reflector" which lets you wirelessly mirror your ipad to a Macbook or other apple computer which supports airplay.

Works only when you have a network setup and are running the clip in infrastructure mode so all devices are on the same network.

18. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

You could also use Apple’s HDMI dongle into a splitter of some sort.

19. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Has anybody any real world experience about Clip´s latency in infrastructure mode? Can it still be used for framing the shots?

20. Michael Gailing

Hi Tuukka,

Clip can definitely be used for framing shots (you're looking at 4 frames or so latency). Check out this video by Helicam Aero using the Clip in Greece:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1608467/helicam_kreikka_gopro_2.mov