/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 8, MÓVI M10 and Red Epic takeoff weight

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by JASPER GLAVANICS, May 14, 2014.

1. JASPER GLAVANICS

Hi all,

Ive been getting mixed reports on what the actual total takeoff weight is of the Cinestar 8 with the Movi M10 and a Red Epic.
    My Cinestar was built by Aerobot in Australia, and they have told me that its total takeoff weight is 10kg. However even after stripping back the Red Epic to its BARE minimum, I'm talking side plate taken off, Freefly 4S lipo powering both the camera, HDMI converter AND the DJI 5.8Ghz video downlink. Still the payload is 10.3kg. Now that I have added a Toad in the Hole, its going to bump up the weight a little.
    I am powering the machine with 2x Zippy 6S 5000mAh lipos.

Does anyone else have this setup and is flying the machine heavier or differently? Suggestions?
    Have attached a couple of photos of the setup with the Red and with a 5D

BOT_6567.jpg IMG_7503.jpg

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

10kg with a Red Epic sounds wrong. From what I’ve heard around here, you’re more like 12-13kg, or even more. And I’d seriously consider some larger batteries. My experience with Zippys in general has been lukewarm, and my guess is you’re looking at no more than 5 minutes in the air with the Epic and those batteries.

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I"m not running a movi but a home made brushless Alexmos gimbal very similar to your setup and my coter is 11.5K with a red, 24mm prime liens and all the required equipment with 2 10,000 mah batteries. What motors are you using? I don't think those batteries will be enough flight time with your payload.

4. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Looks like 3515 motors.

5. Alex Shvartsev

Alex Shvartsev New Member

Total weight around 15kg...

Custom Cinestar X8 with MT3520-11 Motors, 16" Xoar Props and 2 Quadrocopter 10A Batteries.
    Custom 32bit AlexMos Brushless Gimbal with 5A 4S Battery.
    Red Epic with Side Handle, Red Volt Battery and Canon 23-105mm Lens.

[​IMG]

6. pål åge røstad

pål åge røstad New Member

Nice :) flight time with the 2x10.000mAh ?

7. Dave King

I see 16-17 minutes with my red combo at 25.5 pounds.

8. JASPER GLAVANICS

I was flying for around 7 minutes, with 2 x 5000mAh 6s batteries, lifting around 11.3kg.

The specs of the machine are as follows:

500mm booms
    1555 props
    400kv motors
    Mikrokopter BL3.0 ESC's
    Mikrokopter Navigation

The makers said that I was lifting too much, thus the reason for my strip back.
    So now I'm running the Epic Bare skinned, with the Freefly 4s lipo running components and 2 x 5000mah 6S lipos running the machine.
    The lift weight now is 10.3 to 10.5kg
    Oh and this is with a Canon L-series 16-35mm lens. With my older setup I had either the 24mm Tilit shift or a Zeiss CP.2 21mm Cine prime.

9. Alex Shvartsev

Alex Shvartsev New Member

X8 configuration 8-10minutes (less flying time but gaining in wind stability)... ;)

10. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Dave,

How much weight is just the camera part of that combo?

11. Dave King

Payload is 10.5 pounds includes gimbal and red camera. Copter itself is about 14.5 to 15 pounds with batteries.

12. JASPER GLAVANICS

So for my cinestar 8, as it is. What would people recommend as motors, esc's and props in order to lift 13kg total? Taking into consideration that the current specs are supposed to lift 10kg total.

13. Justin Zattelman

Justin Zattelman New Member

I spoke with Aerobot the day on the phone and they suggested the same, either 2 x 5000mAh or 1 x 10,400mAh. It's interesting because our current DJI S800 flies for 9 minutes with 2 x 5000mAh nanotech batteries with a take off weight of 8kg... I would suggest using higher capacity batteries!

14. JASPER GLAVANICS

The issue is that clients and D.O.P' require the Epic to carry lenses such as Ultra Primes, which weigh almost 2kg alone. So adding larger batteries to a system that can't carry a camera over 3.5kg, and a total weight takeoff of 10kg, won't help. They will just add to the weight.
    My only solution that is underway now is a rebuild of my Cinestar, to turn it into an X8 configuration with U7 motors and 18x6 props.
    This machine when finished will be able to lift whatever I throw at it, including the new Movi M15.
    Hopefully. ;)

15. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Jasper, I would not recommend the cinestar frame in X8 with U7 motors. It's a great frame but not stiff enough in my opinion to handle what you are proposing. There are for sure better frame options out there.

16. JASPER GLAVANICS

Thanks for your input Bryan. You have any suggestions? What is the difference between a Cinestar frame as an X8 configuration and another type? Boom diameter?

17. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Hi Jasper, the Cinestar frame was built to be lightweight yet strong enough for lifting a DSLR with 8 booms and 8 relatively small motors. The X8 heavy lifter configuration doubles two relatively heavy motors on only 4 arms. I believe the U7 motors are about 2 lbs each. So you can imagine the extra forces at work with all that weight suspended out on the end of each arm. The cinestar booms are plenty strong enough, but it is the clamps at the frame, and the center plates (highly cut out) that are not strong enough in my opinion. Some frames to check out are Tarot 1000 (much like Cinestar, but far stronger with 3 clamps on each arm, and stronger center plates), Vulcan, and Gryphon Dynamics among others. Good luck!

18. JASPER GLAVANICS

Great thanks Bryan. I appreciate the heads up and will post some pics of my new setup later in the year.