/dist/images/branding/favicon

Is M15 inverted on a steadicam arm feasible?

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Chris mierzwinski, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Chris mierzwinski

I'm excited for the possibility of the m15 in the inverted mode working on a steadicam arm.

Has anyone seen that setup at NAB or heard it working at all?

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

At the Freefly booth, they had an M15 inverted, mounted on a single-section Zephyr arm, mounted on the back of a motorcycle.

Barry Collins likes this.
  3. Chris mierzwinski

Yeah that's awesome. But to further the awesome I'm curious of it works well on the arm for walk and talk type shots.
    If there is a good pre thought way to control pan and tilt of the gimbal without the handles I assume.
    I think a toad in the hole will hold the movi on the arm. That seems great but replace the handles. So I wonder of it can actually be practically controlled on the arm.

4. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

That is a good question regarding framing control. It may be an issue. Obviously for a dual operator setup you are golden, but majestic would be tough.

5. Chris mierzwinski

If its tough that's not a great solution at all in a way. Perhaps freefly can come in to discuss how it might work with a steadicam arm.

6. Blake Simmons

Blake Simmons New Member

There is this.
    and as far as the arm goes it would only help the vertical axis so you would be a human dolly and someone else would operate.

Blake.

7. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris, we have mostly been mounting to the steadicam sled, good point on the arm....need to think.

8. Chris mierzwinski

Absolutely Tabb. I think it would be great to have a way to move off the arm. Some sort of adapter that allows for pan and tilt. Left and right being most important and some degree of up and down. I think it's doable and it would make the movi that much more useful and practical.
    Brain storm!!!

9. Hey guys - I am just waiting for the release of the M15 to complete my new Steadicam Zypher/Freefly combo which i have been working on for a while.
    My approach has been that we find a replacement for our arm and hand to control the vertical stabilisation - the human arm is like a Steadicam twin arm and the hand is like a Steadicam gimbal where the flexibility is needed - so I am using the Zypher vest, twin arm and gimbal - thus an attached M15 could fly freely the same as being hand held.
    The Zypher gimbal (with quick release lever just like the toad/hole) takes a 1.1"/28mm post and there are short tripod posts with 3/8" heads available that would you could easily attach to a Toad. Also the gimbal handle gives the M15 a bit of distance forward of the arm.
    I am also thinking that a modified collapsible monopod could go inside the gimbal to give a quick stability option for interviews or controlled pans etc.
    Great things are ahead guys - big thanks to Team Tabb!!

10. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Barry, I'm very interested in this as I just purchased a Zephyr for this exact purpose. Any chance you can post some photos of how you're interfacing the arm to the MoVI?

Thanks in advance.

Barry Collins likes this.
  11. Rob Drewett

Rob Drewett Member

I hear rumours that Steadicam have made a custom made vest just for the MoVI! Interesting!

12. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Interesting. Where did you hear this, Rob?

13. Rob Drewett

Rob Drewett Member

14. Hi Eric
    Thanks for your interest. I have spent ages trying to work this out and was finally able to speak with Chris Fawcett from Steadivision two days ago who has spent a lot of time working out what does and does NOT work with a Steadicam/Movi connection. There are some finite vibration issues that I did not even realise could be a possibility with gimbals etc, so Chris' input was massive and has saved me so much time and money experimenting and making mistakes.
    The upshot is that the Walter Klassen Gore-Link with a suspension approach is the way to go. You need the hook version and you will need an annodised step down sleeve (0.75" to .5") to fit the Gore Link to the Zephyr arm post ($25 extra). http://www.walterklassen.com/home-p..._solutions/gore-link_handheld_camera_support/
    Just email Jennifer Platz at Klassen, mention my name, and she will know exactly what you need - jennifer@walterklassen.com
    Here is Chris using the rig
    Here is a photo of the rig from another Freefly post

1560590_10152331300264483_6696741044496459263_n.jpg

Would love to see a photo when you complete your rig!
    Take care Eric.

15. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Hey Barry,

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas, videos, and photos. I've researched this pretty extensively over the last several weeks, including talking to Walter, just today, in fact.

I'm going to work on rigging up an idea I had in the next few days, which I'm hoping will work. I'll be sure to share the results.

Thanks, again! Cheers.

16. Hi Eric
    Yes Jen from Klassen mentioned they were just helping you, so that's great. I look forward to seeing your progress mate!!!
    Take care!

17. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Yes, Jen and Walter were very helpful.
    I did a preliminary test of my idea last night and it worked much better than expected. I'm having some parts machined currently and will share when it's all completed.

Cheers,

18. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Interesting…. tell me about your V Mount battery position?

We have been experimenting with moving ours around as well...

19. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Ben, V-Mount is on the crossbar.

Christian Hansen likes this.