/dist/images/branding/favicon

Custom HDMI cables

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Trevor Ford, May 9, 2014.

1. Trevor Ford

Trevor Ford New Member

Hey all-
    Don't know how many of you have run into this issue, but I can't find ANYWHERE that makes and sells the HDMI cable that would best suit my Cinestar 3 axis Gimbal flying the Sony a7.
    I see that usbfirewire.com has a "create a custom cable" option, but I talked to them and they said, "given that it's a 'prototype' cable, you'd have to buy 50 of them (@ $12.50 per + shp) to make it worth our while to create a new item."

Attached is a picture of the cable I need.

Questions:
    Does anyone know of a good place to order custom HDMI cables?
    Do 49 of you need this same cable so I can order this and send you all one? Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 4.50.53 PM.png

Thanks.
    Trevor

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Funny, I just looked up a very similar cable, and had the same thought. I'd be down for a couple of these (or even a few). Who wants to start a group buy?

3. Noel Zinger

Noel Zinger New Member

I just finished building one of these 10min ago. My issue is the Micro HDMI and the "Multi" (Lanc) are very close together and I needed to trim the casing. I'd order two of them.

Noel

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm good for two.

Andy.

5. Trevor Ford

Trevor Ford New Member

Awesome. We're up to 7! I'll put the info out to my local group of RCAPers and see if anyone else jumps on.

Has anyone ever tried splicing HDMI? Andy, I know you've got the soldering skills!
    Noel, were you successful in making exactly what you needed? I'd love to see a picture if you've got one.

trevor

6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I have one HDMI cable (full-size to full-size) that uses what appears to be a flat-ish ribbon cable. It got me to thinking whether you could make HDMI ends in the 3 sizes that crimp on like old-fashioned ribbon cables. Is there a need for an integral shield? Any EEs in the house? :cool:

Trevor Ford likes this.
  7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Trevor: Nope. Never had the need until now. Let me see if I can find a naffed up HDMI cable and I'll try a radical cablectomy on it. How hard can it be? :rolleyes: It's just wires, innit?

Andy

Trevor Ford likes this.
  8. Noel Zinger

Noel Zinger New Member

Hello Trevor,

I works but it ain't pretty. I could only find std HDMI to Micro HDMI so it was a bit of a clunky, backward approach but it works. I had to cut the case away to fit with the "Multi" (camera control). image.jpg image.jpg

Noel

9. Trevor Ford

Trevor Ford New Member

Agreed. Seems with all those wires in HDMI, the flat ribbon option would make it easier to crimp on the connecters you need.

Noel, that got me thinking. I just got the a7. Do you happen to get a standard video signal coming out of the "Multi" using the usb? If not, what do you have going into the USB while in flight, meaning what does that get you?
    By the way, very ambitious, but nice work on getting it to do what you need!

10. Noel Zinger

Noel Zinger New Member

The "Multi" is Sony's "Lanc" updated. The Multi gives you the ability to turn the camera on and off zoom, focus, record etc. I don't think it carries a STND video signal. The HDMI out of my A6000 & the a7 use the same HDMI port. The cable for video out is Micro HDMI from the camera to Mini HDMI into the FreeFly converter. You would use the USB if you were running into the computer I guess. I think I got that right, correct me if I'm wrong. I sometimes have a display issue if I don't use the correct sequence when turning everything on.

Noel

Trevor Ford likes this.
  11. Trevor Ford

Trevor Ford New Member

Are you kidding me?! What's the correct sequence?! I feel like i've tried every one imaginable , but I've still yet to see the a7 video coming through the HDMI converter/Tx.
    Thanks a ton.

12. Trevor Ford

Trevor Ford New Member

By the way, I forgot to mention to everyone that the quote I got from the company that could make the cable at the top of this thread said they'd be $12.50 each (+ one shipping charge on the one box of 50) and it would take about a month to get them made in Taiwan and sent.
    Will update here more when I find out if anyone else is in ... so far I need about 40 more people :confused:

13. Noel Zinger

Noel Zinger New Member

I'm only using the a6000 & a7 for stills. Like the GH4 I don't think the converter is fast enough?

Noel

14. Hannes Frigård

Also interested in getting at least two 30 cm:s long male micro HDMI to male mini HDMI cables.
    I've just got a Atomos Ninja Star, on which both in and out HDMI connections are micro sized. I'm using Canon 5D mIII which has mini HDMI out and a HDMI converter with a mini HDMI in -connection, so in order to see the camera signal on the ground station, I need two of these cables.

I suppose that the cable makers are (should be) investigating to start production of this kind of cables.

But; I need these cables in few days, so it seems that I need to investigate if it is possible to make one (i.e two...)...

Hannes

15. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Hannes,

I just used my Ninja Star for the first time this past weekend and I ordered these to get by until the Atomos cables are available:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JDRHQ58/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regular adapter ends do not work because the micro hdmi in and out on the ninja star are very close together - you need these dongles until a proper cable is available.

I used the hyper thin hdmi cables to go back to the 5D Mark III (regular to mini) and a regular hdmi to the Paralinx. It worked very well.

Atomos sent me this link and said all distributers will be getting stock shortly (Atomos coiled micro hdmi to mini hdmi 30 cm):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1065081-REG/atomos_atomcab006_1_x_coiled_micro.html

Best of luck with it. Its a pretty solid little recorder once you get all the parts you need.

Michael

16. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

17. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

Sorry about the multiple images ... Stupid iPad!

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I fixed it by editing the posting, Sebastian. :)
    Andy.

Sebastian Meredith likes this.
  19. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

20. Tim Foster

Tim Foster New Member