/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI M5 arrived this morning....

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Mike Staniforth, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Mike Staniforth

Mike Staniforth New Member

Very happy to be a part of this club now.

The M5 arrived this morning and I immediately balanced my C100 with it and started flying roughly 20 mins later.

Amazing piece of kit.

EDIT - managed to get the C300 with 24mm L lens balanced on the M5 too.
    Now I'm thinking a stripped down carbon fibre Epic will work.

Attached Files:

Brad Meier likes this.
  2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forums Mike

3. Andrew Ito

Andrew Ito New Member

So the M5 CAN fly a C100?? Which lenses did you try with the rig?

4. Mike Staniforth

I've only had time to try the Tokina 11-16mm so far. I have the 24-70 L v1 to try next and then an old beautiful Zeiss contax wide prime.

5. Andrew Ito

Andrew Ito New Member

Would love to hear your results of that test! Did you take the top bar off of the camera platform to fit the C100?

6. Mike Staniforth

Yes you have to take the top bar off as the camera is slightly too big. I just balanced the C100 with the 24-70 L lens version 1 no problem.

The thing I'm liking is, that you don't have to get it balanced absolutely perfect for it to work well when you turn it on. I just balanced it, wasn't perfect, flicked it to majestic mode and boom, ready to go. Obviously I understand the more time you spend on it the better it will be, but for scenarios where you're in a hurry, this is perfect.

7. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I have found balance doesn't need to be perfect and you can throw it off. I have 24-70 F2.8 lens on the Movi with a 5D MK 3 and balanced it at 24 then thrown it to 70 and it still produces great footage. Yes the motors will work harder and if I was going down a bumpy road or there was a lot of wind this might not work well. In doors standing still and even moving it works great. I will often pick the focal length I use most often and then am not afraid to zoom. This was something that was troublesome with the Black Bird stablizer i used (similar to steadicam). You would need to adjust the balance which takes time and would not be great for on the moment zoom change.

8. frank mckeown

frank mckeown New Member

HI Nicolas,

How are you controlling your settings on the C100 (aperture, focus, etc) with the handle and control off? Thanks for any advice!

9. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I am controlling a 5D MK 3, not a C100 and I use a USB follow focus device from Oki.net to control my camera. I do not know much about controlling the C100.

10. frank mckeown

frank mckeown New Member

OK thanks Nicolas. I guess I meant to ask Mike since he posted a photo above.

11. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

12. frank mckeown

frank mckeown New Member

Nice. Thanks Mike!

Much appreciated!
    Frank

13. frank mckeown

frank mckeown New Member

Nicolas,

you know after reading your post and noticing you said you use an OKI controller, I was jut wondering what your experience with it was and what you are actually using it for? I've never used one and am not sure how it could be useful.

Thanks for any info man!

14. Mike Staniforth

I didn't know this about the C100 firmware update. This is great news that you can now control the menus without the side handle. I'm not sure this means you can change iris/wb/ISO though.

15. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I love the thing. I bought it back when it was first being developed so my model has no labels on it. I have used it a lot to both remotely control my camera with usb cables on a crane and with the Movi. At some point I will post an assembled photo of my setup. It works great for starting and stopping the camera, and for pulling focus. I rarely use the preset focus points because I shoot live events. It can also be used to control a few other settings but they are less easy to get to and cannot be changed while recording with the USB controller.

I also tried one from aperature and while it had some nice qualities, overall the quality was not as good and it turned out to be incompatible with my 5D 3.

16. frank mckeown

frank mckeown New Member

Interesting thanks so much for the info. I wash;t even sure if it worked with the C100. I thought something like this would encumber the movi too much. So it works just fine with the USB cable attached I guess?

The thing that looks amazing to me right now is the new wireless one coming out from Apurture. That thing looks amazing. Goes between the lens and the camera and is wireless with a rocker panel. Not sure when it's supposed to be release dbut I'm waiting anxiously.

Thanks man.

17. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I am using it with a 5D Mk 3. I have no idea, and am doubtful the device works with a C100

18. Mike Staniforth

Managed to get the C300 balanced, now for epic carbon fibre :)

19. Evett Rolsten

Evett Rolsten New Member

Hi Mike,

Thats great news! What lens combinations did you try to achieve this?